Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 31

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 19:05
This post received
KUDOS
mrsmarthi wrote:
The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the results of his early experiments in his "Essay on Heat and Light", a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a new chemistry that Davy hoped to found.

(A) a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a ,since should refer to a time frame, it should be like Since robert boyle's time
(B) a critique of all chemistry following Robert Boyle and also his envisioning of a
(C) a critique of all chemistry after Robert Boyle and envisioning as well
(D) critiquing all chemistry from Robert Boyle forward and also a vision of
(E) critiquing all the chemistry done since Robert Boyle as well as his own envisioning of

I went for E considering this flaw in option A as considering and envisioning(gerund) seems parallel and probably the best one
Correct me if i am wrong
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 19:48
I have chosen A for this question:

A. This answer choice solves the parallelism issues - a critique and a vision are good. They have removed the word "his" so that this sentence is less ambiguous.

B. Parallelism issues are present here - a critique and envisioning are not parallel. Also, "his" is ambiguous because we are not sure whether it refers to Humphry Davy or Robert Boyle.

C. Parallelism issue again - a critique and envisioning.

D. Parallelism issue here - critiquing and a vision. Also, the use of "critiquing" to start the clause is very confusing because this modifier seems to modify the preceding clause, but this does not make any sense.

E. The verb-ing "critiquing" can either describe or present a result of the preceding clause. It definitely does neither, so the use of this modifier is incorrect. Also, "his" is ambiguous.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 16:53
This post received
KUDOS
The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the results of his early experiments in his "Essay on Heat and Light", a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a new chemistry that Davy hoped to found.

(A) a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a. Correct. Since Robert Boyle means 'since time of Robert Boyle'. Its correct modifier of "Essay on Heat and Light"
(B) a critique of all chemistry following Robert Boyle and also his envisioning of a his envisioning of a new chemistry that Davy hoped to found' is awkward usage. 'Vision' is more correct usage.
(C) a critique of all chemistry after Robert Boyle and envisioning as well 'and envisioning as well new chemistry that Davy hoped to found' becomes wrong English usage.
(D) critiquing all chemistry from Robert Boyle forward and also a vision of It modifies the whole sentence rather than just a book.
(E) critiquing all the chemistry done since Robert Boyle as well as his own envisioning of It modifies the whole sentence rather than just a book.

Main sentence in the question is 'Humphry Davy presented the results' and rest of the things are modifiers and clauses.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1371 [1] , given: 122

Re: The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 14:42
This post received
KUDOS

(A) a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a
Correct parallelism. Other answers have parallelism problem.

(B) a critique of all chemistry following Robert Boyle and also his envisioning of a
(E) critiquing all the chemistry done since Robert Boyle as well as his own envisioning of

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 84

Re: The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2013, 10:15
This post received
KUDOS
This is a OG question and I have done this question multiple times.
The answer is A.

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 01:01
This post received
KUDOS
mrsmarthi wrote:

"Essay on Heat and Light" is a title, so we need an explanation of what this title refers to. In other words, we need a noun, not a verb. Thus, D/E gone.

A) "a critique of... as well as... a vision of" is parallel, so this sounds good

B) "following Robert Boyle" is ambiguous and distorts the intended meaning of the author. The chemistry is not following Robert, is it? "his envisioning" incorrectly refers to Boyle, instead of Davy. B gone

C) This option looks good up until the present participle envisioning. This messes up the parallel structure. Also "envisioning as well new chemistry" sounds weird, and does not preserve the intended meaning of the author. C gone

So we go with A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 23

The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 17:07

SPOILER ALERT!

Without giving away the answer - i had narrowed it down to A & E (eliminated the rest b/c of parallelism).

My question is - what is the different between "Davy presented his essay, a critique..." vs. "Davy presented his essay, critiquing..." Can I choose an answer only based on these two things? There is a ton of ambiguity with E but my question still stands.

I used a semi-guess to choose A because I figured that "a critique" would modify the subject right before the comma and in this case, it was his essay. Is that poor reasoning?

Thanks!

Thanks a ton!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 4

Re: The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 21:01
This post received
KUDOS
russ9 wrote:

My question is - what is the different between "Davy presented his essay, a critique..." vs. "Davy presented his essay, critiquing..." Can I choose an answer only based on these two things? There is a ton of ambiguity with E but my question still stands.

I used a semi-guess to choose A because I figured that "a critique" would modify the subject right before the comma and in this case, it was his essay. Is that poor reasoning?

Thanks!

Thanks a ton!

critiquing modifies the verb presented - he presented essay critiquing .......

a critique modifies the essay itself - essay was a critique for something. This is the intended meaning of this sentence, so you can easily make your decision based on this. Also parralelism required in the second part of the sentence - "the essay was a critique as well as a vision"
Expert Post
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2603 [0], given: 695

Re: The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 22:25
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 00:00
Just gor for Paralellism.
Its a Noun / Noun-Paralellism --> a critique, a vision

So probably A
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 02:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is a "noun + noun modifier" construction and we have two modifiers which should modify the same noun. They are:
(1) a critique of all chemistry
(2) a vision of a new chemistry
Also, remember that we should retain the meaning of original sentence unless the original sentence is senseless.

Let's analyze the options one by one.

(A ) a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a

Both the modifiers modify noun "Essay" and are parallel to each other, hence CORRECT.

(B ) a critique of all chemistry following Robert Boyle and also his envisioning of a

(1) The first modifier "a critique of all chemistry" is a "noun+noun modifier" construction but the second part "his envisioning of a" is a
Complex gerund. A complex gerund could be made parallel to only complex gerunds and action nouns. But here "a Critique" is not
an action noun. So they cannot be made parallel to each other.
Note: "His" in "his envisioning" is a possessive determiner here. So his envisioning gives an impression that it is for "Essay".
(2) "and" and "also" are redundant.

Same as above. Also, "and" and "as well" are redundant

"critiquing " is a present participle and modifies the subject(Humphry Davy) of the previous clause which is not the intent of the sentence.

(E )critiquing all the chemistrydone since Robert Boyle as well as his own envisioning of
Now you can try this yourself.

People don't fail, they just give up. Never give up!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 23

Re: The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 12:35
This post received
KUDOS
ershovici wrote:
russ9 wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks a ton!

critiquing modifies the verb presented - he presented essay critiquing .......

a critique modifies the essay itself - essay was a critique for something. This is the intended meaning of this sentence, so you can easily make your decision based on this. Also parralelism required in the second part of the sentence - "the essay was a critique as well as a vision"

Well, A and E are both parallel so that's not the issue. I see what you're trying to say but I would challenge that:

- In A/B/C/ Is it safe to say that whenever we have a sentence followed by a , noun can we infer that the first word is going to modify the noun before the comma? What I mean is -- can we say that the book was a "critique" since the book isn't alive, it can't be actively critiquing. Does my question make sense to anyone?

- Why is E wrong even if it's modifying the whole prior clause? "HD experiments were presented in a book" - "critiquing..." ...doesn't all that still make sense?

Any experts care to jump in?

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 138

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2014, 00:03
This post received
KUDOS
Since Robert is better than "following", "after", or "from" Robert.
A and E is left.
in E, Davy critiqued his own envisioning is confused and "done" is redundant
Nothing is wrong with A, so A is the answer

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 2

Re: The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2014, 01:18
This post received
KUDOS
russ9 wrote:
Well, A and E are both parallel so that's not the issue.

Actually E is not parallel. If the sentence was:

....critiquing all the chemistry done since Robert Boyle as well as envisioning new chemistry....

Then the sentence would have been parallel (critiquing and envisioning...), though still incorrect for other reasons.

Quote:
- In A/B/C/ Is it safe to say that whenever we have a sentence followed by a , noun can we infer that the first word is going to modify the noun before the comma? What I mean is -- can we say that the book was a critique since the book isn't alive, it can't be actively critiquing. Does my question make sense to anyone?

Perhaps the meaning of the word critique isn't very clear. critique means: a detailed analysis and assessment of something. So, book being alive would not matter.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2014, 21:21
Guys let me give a simpler explanation, I always look at the conjunction and ensure both sides are parallel. In this case only A does that

In this case B, C and D are not parallel. E is awkward and wordy

A is the answer
Re: The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2014, 21:21