Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 733 [2] , given: 40

The Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 09:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

77% (01:58) correct 23% (00:45) wrong based on 29 sessions
The Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists for their discovery that plastic can be made electrically conductive—an advance that has led to improvements in film, television screens, and windows.

A. that plastic can be made electrically conductive—an advance that has led
B. that plastic can be made electrically conductive—this advance leading
C. that plastic can be made to be electrically conductive, and this advance led
D. of plastic's ability to be made electrically conductive, with this advance leading
E. of plastic being able to be made electrically conductive—an advance that has led

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 36

Re: The Nobel Prize [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 10:46
discovery that ---> eliminates all except a,b,c
B uses "leading" which is progressive.
C is passive "made to be".
Now the inclination for A is because it says that discovery was done sometime back in the past. "has led" is present perfect.

If you eliminate on "has led" the answer is clear A since E uses "being".

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 172

Re: The Nobel Prize [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 11:14
I think it is D :?:

-MBAJunkie

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 733 [0], given: 40

Re: The Nobel Prize [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 11:26
pragnyaparamita, welcome to the club.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 733 [0], given: 40

Re: The Nobel Prize [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 01:30
OA is A. Great job guys.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 6

Re: The Nobel Prize [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 08:31
The Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists for their discovery that plastic can be made electrically conductive—an advance that has led to improvements in film, television screens, and windows.

A. that plastic can be made electrically conductive—an advance that has led - CORRECT
B. that plastic can be made electrically conductive—this advance leading - "this advance leading" is incorrect
C. that plastic can be made to be electrically conductive, and this advance led - "to be" is wordy and awkward in GMAT…should be eliminated
D. of plastic's ability to be made electrically conductive, with this advance leading - "plastic's ability " is incorrect and "to be" is wordy and awkward in GMAT…should be eliminated
E. of plastic being able to be made electrically conductive—an advance that has led - " being able to be " is incorrect
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

Re: The Nobel Prize [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 08:48
The verb has to be "has led". Between A and E, I'd choose A since E is awkward.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

Re: The Nobel Prize [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 07:26
After discovery you need that, rules out last to choices, the best among A B C is A

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [1] , given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The Nobel Prize [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 02:52
This post received
KUDOS
Few words about this SC.
let us remember what is present perfect tense.

The present perfect is a grammatical combination of the present tense and the perfect aspect, used to express a past event that has present consequences

In this SC you have to realize that X happened and now this dicovery has present consequences. Now guess what tense should you use ?! good.

based on the above you may cross out all except for A and E. just compare them and find out that E is very wrong using "being able to be".

D. of plastic's ability to be made electrically conductive, with this advance leading
E. of plastic being able to be made electrically conductive—an advance that has led

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The Nobel Prize [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 02:02
thangduong wrote:
I DO NOT AGREE

ACCORDING THE COMPREHENSIVE GRAMMAR, 1700 PAGES, WRITEN BY 4 LEADING AUTHORS OF GRAMMAR

NOUN HAVING DONE dose not exist

NOUN DOING mean NOUN WILL DO, NOUN HAD DONE, NOUN DO, ....Because DOING have no time and can take any time.

I LEARING ENGLISH IS TIRIED means

I WHO WILL LEARN ENGLIS IS TIRED
I WHO LARNED ENGLISH IS TIRED
I WHO LEARN ENGLISH IS TIRED

that is why I ask you why B is wrong.

it looks like you are screamning using the CapsLock .
it is not respectful toward others. Please be respectful.

Quote:
I LEARING ENGLISH IS TIRIED
- it is completly wrong sentence. it seems that English is tired.

Quote:
NOUN HAVING DONE
- are you sure that having done is a noun? it seems you are mistakes nouns and verbs.

Quote:
I WHO
- is quite awkward as for me.

Quote:
Because DOING have no time and can take any time.
- it is progressive or continuous tense in this case.
Present participle are not referred to a specific time. but progressive tenses are referred to the action which is performed now.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Re: The Nobel Prize [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 05:45
ykaiim wrote:

D and E are wrong because of wordy. B is wrong because of "leading". C is wrong because "can be made to be" is wordy. => A is correct.

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 21:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2014, 06:32

B. that plastic can be made electrically conductive—this advance leading - WHY IS THIS WRONG?
C. that plastic can be made to be electrically conductive, and this advance led - Uses and to describe cause-effect
D. of plastic's ability to be made electrically conductive, with this advance leading -WHY IS THIS WRONG?
E. of plastic being able to be made electrically conductive—an advance that has led - being is red-flag

Why is B & D wrong?

Kudos my back and I Kudos your back

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 2

Re: The Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2014, 04:46
amenon55 wrote:
Why is B wrong?

B says: that plastic can be made electrically conductive—this advance leading

Generally speaking, when this (a demonstrative pronoun) refers to something within the sentence itself, it is almost always incorrect. For example, in this case, this advance is referring to a fact already mentioned within the sentence: that plastic can be made electrically conductive.

Basically it seems to be a matter of stylistic preference of GMAT. I did a quick scan of OG-13 and found 3 more such instances of incorrect options:

#51 option C
A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life maybe so brisk that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, the result of this, they are unable to make sense of speech.

Notice that this refers to a fact already mentioned within the sentence: the hampered ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words.

#81 option C
Fossils of the arm of a sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, making this the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles Islands

Notice that this refers to an entity already mentioned within the sentence: sloth.

#115 option D
Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, this has already stimulated international disputes over uninhabited islands.

Notice that this refers to a fact already mentioned within the sentence: Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code.

amenon55 wrote:
Why is D wrong?

D says: of plastic's ability to be made electrically conductive, with this advance leading

This obviously totally changes the meaning of the original sentence. Scientists did not discover plastic's ability; they discovered something about plastic: that plastic can be made electrically conductive.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 09:45
EducationAisle wrote:
amenon55 wrote:
Why is B wrong?

B says: that plastic can be made electrically conductive—this advance leading

Generally speaking, when this (a demonstrative pronoun) refers to something within the sentence itself, it is almost always incorrect. For example, in this case, this advance is referring to a fact already mentioned within the sentence: that plastic can be made electrically conductive.

Basically it seems to be a matter of stylistic preference of GMAT. I did a quick scan of OG-13 and found 3 more such instances of incorrect options:

#51 option C
A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life maybe so brisk that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, the result of this, they are unable to make sense of speech.

Notice that this refers to a fact already mentioned within the sentence: the hampered ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words.

#81 option C
Fossils of the arm of a sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, making this the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles Islands

Notice that this refers to an entity already mentioned within the sentence: sloth.

#115 option D
Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, this has already stimulated international disputes over uninhabited islands.

Notice that this refers to a fact already mentioned within the sentence: Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code.

amenon55 wrote:
Why is D wrong?

D says: of plastic's ability to be made electrically conductive, with this advance leading

This obviously totally changes the meaning of the original sentence. Scientists did not discover plastic's ability; they discovered something about plastic: that plastic can be made electrically conductive.

so using this when referring to something withing the sentence is generally incorrect?

Kudos my back and I Kudos your back

Manager
Manager

Re: The Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 09:50
amenon55 wrote:
so using this when referring to something withing the sentence is generally incorrect?

As I mentioned, I did a scan in OG and this indeed seems to be the case.

However, if you (or someone else) do come across any official sentence where this observation does not hold true, do highlight, as it will be interesting to see. For the most part however, this indeed seems to be the case.

Thanks,
Ashish

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

The Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 19:22
Not completely true. The OG examples quoted use "this" as a pronoun. In this question, "this" is used as an adjective to the noun "advance".

The GMAT doesn't prefer the use of "this" as a pronoun. But there's no such rule or preference regarding the use of "this" as an adjective.

Here is a perfectly valid construction (in terms of grammar; meaning-wise, it still doesn't cut it):
The Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists for their discovery that plastic can be made electrically conductive, and this advance has led to improvements in blah-blah.

Let's take a simpler example:
He read The Book of Secrets, a book that has given him much knowledge.
He read The Book of Secrets, this book giving him much knowledge.

The abstract "a book" is the preferred modifier. You would need a conjunction or a preposition before "this".

The other problem with B relates to the use of tense. The participle "leading" "takes on" the tense of the main clause. Assuming the use of "this" in B is correct, the use of "leading" yields the following meaning: the discovery "led" to improvements in blah-blah.

Now go back and note the sequence of events. The discovery occurred first. The prize was awarded later. Using the simple past tense "led" makes it unclear when the improvements occurred. The only other event in the simple past tense in the sentence (directly mentioned) is "was awarded", so "led" might go with it -- but the subject of "led", "this advance", i.e. the discovery, occurred earlier.

The use of the present perfect tense in A yields the logical meaning: the improvements started with the discovery and continue to occur.

--Prasad

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Manager
Manager

The Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 20:26
Quote:
The other problem with B relates to the use of tense. The participle "leading" "takes on" the tense of the main clause. Assuming the use of "this" in B is correct, the use of "leading" yields the following meaning: the discovery "led" to improvements in blah-blah.

Now go back and note the sequence of events. The discovery occurred first. The prize was awarded later. Using the simple past tense "led" makes it unclear when the improvements occurred. The only other event in the simple past tense in the sentence (directly mentioned) is "was awarded", so "led" might go with it -- but the subject of "led", "this advance", i.e. the discovery, occurred earlier.

If this was indeed correct, then I don't believe there is any tense issue in B. Participial phrases neatly depict cause and effect. So, advance is the cause, while leading is the effect.

Quote:
The use of the present perfect tense in A yields the logical meaning: the improvements started with the discovery and continue to occur.

I don't believe that present perfect here in any way suggests that improvements continue to occur.

Thanks,
Ashish

Last edited by EducationAisle on 13 Jul 2014, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: HBS '18, Stanford '18
GMAT Date: 04-24-2013
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 66

Re: The Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 22:23
Options B,C,D,E come into the picture when there is something wrong in the sentence given in A in terms of Grammar,meaning and concision. So A is the better answer when compared to the rest in this case
Re: The Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2014, 22:23