Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 802 [313]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [76]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [19]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I also have a question on this form. My understanding is that if you use the "and," form, the clause after the "and," must have a verb and subject. OA D seems to violate. Can anyone shed some light on this apparent contradiction?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [10]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I have highlighted your query - that structure is valid.
subject = executives
verb = examine, decide
and = conjunction

The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal
D. conditions and, [strike]using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses[/strike], decide

If you loose the non essentials in a sentence the meaning will not change. So I strike what is non essential i.e. between the commas. Now the meaning is executives examine and decide.
examine || decide. Hope that helps !

Pardon me for using bright colors :)
abmyers wrote:
I also have a question on this form. My understanding is that if you use the "and," form, the clause after the "and," must have a verb and subject. OA D seems to violate. Can anyone shed some light on this apparent contradiction?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [9]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
IMO, this example is a kind of command subjunctive, wherein, the word suggests means almost to advise or give some kind of imperativeness as may be in a tuition or exercise class; Depending upon where it comes from, suggestion can be a mandate, such as when the Supreme Court or the Fed suggests something, it is rather an order than a request. Looked from that angle, the verb is not used as in an indicative mood, but in a subjunctive mood. So, in the use of subjunctive mood, verbs like can decide become irrelevant and incongruous. So we can see, why option D with the verb decide which is parallel to examine is the apt expression
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [3]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.36
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
IMO it should be D.

...that executives examine A, and, modifier, decide B.

The modifier explains how decision B is made.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [8]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective
criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide on a strategy.

Lets break the sentence into its clauses and phrases:
Clause-1 : The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests - Normative Model is the subject and suggests is the verb
Clause-2 : that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions - Executives is subject and examine is verb
Clause-3 : ,and
Phrase : - in using the set of objective criteria
Continuation of clause-3: they derive from these analyses,[color=#ed1c24] can decide on a strategy.
- They is subject and derive is verb. Can decide on a strategy is placed awkwardly and has no subject. So this sentence has modifier and S_V error[/color]

A. conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide - Wrong as explained above
B. conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding - Parallelism issue- Executive examine should be || Executives decide
C. conditions and, in using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, deciding - Deciding is not || to examine
D. conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide correct choice- parallel.
E. conditions and, in their use of the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, they decide - No comma + and to connect two clauses
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [6]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
lys8207 wrote:
The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide on a strategy.

A. conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide
B. conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding
C. conditions and, in using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, deciding
D. conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide
E. conditions and, in their use of the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, they decide

Thanks.

SUBJUNCTIVE USAGE

The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide on a strategy.

Correct answer must be (D) for the highlighted errors in the other options...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [6]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide on a strategy.

Issues: Parallelism | Verb form

Analysis:
1. The core of the sentence: ".. model ... suggests that executives examine.. and decide ... "
- to maintain parallelism, we need to make sure that the entities separated by "and" are parallel i.e. clauses with same verb form (in this case).

A. conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide
- this option tries to draw parallel between "examine... " and "in using..." - NOT parallel
- also, "can decide..." is not properly connected to any of the clauses - fragment issue

B. conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding
- this option tries to draw parallel between "examine... " and "they use..." - NOT parallel

C. conditions and, in using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, deciding
- "in using..." is fragment that does not properly modify the clause following it.
- this option tries to draw parallel between "examine... " and "deciding......" - NOT parallel

D. conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide

E. conditions and, in their use of the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, they decide
- this option tries to draw parallel between "examine... " and "they decide......" - NOT parallel[/color]

NOTE: I referenced OG and it does not focus on parallelism at all. It points out the redundant use of "they" to refer executives (in the same sentence) as being wordy. Based on this criteria (A), (B) and (E) can be eliminated. (C) can be eliminated because the structure in the sentence leaves second clause without a subject.

Answer: D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Just checking if we have anything to check for position of "And" . Before comma or after comma?
While answering this question I had in my mind that and should come after comma .
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [6]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmat4varun wrote:
Just checking if we have anything to check for position of "And" . Before comma or after comma?
While answering this question I had in my mind that and should come after comma .

Yes, comma before 'and' or after 'and' does matter here.

Let me explain you using option A and D.

Te rule says, if we remove the phrase between two commas, the remaining sentence must make sense.

Now, do it over A.
A. conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide --> Reread the original sentence using conditions can decide. You will find that the sentence has become a run on sentence. Hence, A is incorrect.

D. conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide --> Now do the same with this. You will find D does make sense here. Hence, correct answer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
4. The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide on a strategy.

B. conditions and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding

This is a deeply meaning -based question. That the executives decide is the crux of the matter. Therefore, we need to use a verb for the decision making part namely 'decide' rather than the participial 'deciding'

Get rid of B and C instantly.
Get rid of A for saying can decide, which denotes a capability rather than an occurrence. E is wrong for using a misleading idiom 'in using' as though they decide while using, during using, whereas the intent is to use the criteria to help decide the strategy.

This is an out and out a meaning based question in which the answer is beyond the utility of grammar alone.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Send PM
Kudos