Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 14:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 7

The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 07:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (01:51) correct 28% (01:01) wrong based on 83 sessions
The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s
external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive
from these analyses, can decide
on a strategy.
A. conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide
B. conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding
C. conditions and, in using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, deciding
D. conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide
E. conditions and, in their use of the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, they
decide
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: The normative model of strategic decision [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 17:59
the subjunctive category u marked made it easy for me :D
bare form of the verb decide, so clearly D

WarriorAjay wrote:
The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s
external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive
on a strategy.
A. conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide
B. conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding
C. conditions and, in using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, deciding
D. conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide
E. conditions and, in their use of the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, they
decide

The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

If my post made you think, KUDO it. Its easy :D

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 115 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: The normative model of strategic decision [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 19:50
This post received
KUDOS
A. conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide : Wrong use of 'In' using, 'Can' decide
B. conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding : Redundant use of they
C. conditions and, in using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, deciding : Wrong use of deciding, in using
D. conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide: Correct
decide: So wordy!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 75

Re: The normative model of strategic decision [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 21:54
WarriorAjay wrote:
on a strategy.
decide

:
Doesn't D chages the meaning from "can decide" in the original sentence to "decide".
For example:
I go to school
I can go to school:

They are two different meanings right??

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: The normative model of strategic decision [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 03:48
Well, it's actually not changing the meaning. As statement is a suggestion, uncertainty is introduced. Remember the usage of Subjunctive where one body is not sure whether other body will act accordingly.
e.g. I suggest that you study hard. - correct
I suggest that you can study hard. - Incorrect -- { precisely, confusing}.
Even though you can't study, I am merely suggesting.
Hope this helps.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 20:27
What is the Issue with B?

from these analyses, can decide on a strategy.

Structure: IC,and IC (where IC= independent clause)

Moreover , (A) would have been correct had it used "they can decide " after comma.

Plz Advice what is the issue with (B).

Rgds,
TGC!

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 22:27
In choice B, "they" does not have a clear antecedent.. "They" can refer to either "executives" or "firm’s
external environment and internal conditions".

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 10:45
MacFauz wrote:
In choice B, "they" does not have a clear antecedent.. "They" can refer to either "executives" or "firm’s

Pronoun reference is always a issue for me .

Somewhere I have read that if the pronoun antecedent is pretty obvious then there isn't any issue.

Plz clear the air as in option (B). we do have a logic that "THEY" refers to EXECUTIVES.However, going by the MGMAT Rule of LAW for Pronoun ambiguity

(1). Repeats
(2). Proximity
(3). Case

It seems that "THEY" is ambiguous .Still I need a golden rule for PRONOUN REFERENCE

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 19:30
targetgmatchotu wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

Somewhere I have read that if the pronoun antecedent is pretty obvious then there isn't any issue.

Plz clear the air as in option (B). we do have a logic that "THEY" refers to EXECUTIVES.However, going by the MGMAT Rule of LAW for Pronoun ambiguity

(1). Repeats
(2). Proximity
(3). Case

It seems that "THEY" is ambiguous .Still I need a golden rule for PRONOUN REFERENCE

I don't believe "they" is ambiguous. Sure, it can gramatically refer to "executives" or "external environment and internal conditions" but tell me if this makes sense to you logically:

"External environment and internal conditions use the set of objective criteria .... " ?

The pronoun ambiguity would happen in a situation like this:

Executives follow rules and employees follow executives, so they must be out of their mind. You can see that "they", both gramatically and logically, can refer to either "executives" or "employees".

Option B has a paralellism issue. The meaning of the sentence is that executives do a couple of things:
1) examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions --> italicized words are a sublist of 1)
2) decide on a strategy

So, as you can see now the issue is that "deciding" needs to be changed to "decide" in order to be parallel.
Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 21:12
stoy4o wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

(1). Repeats
(2). Proximity
(3). Case

I don't believe "they" is ambiguous. Sure, it can gramatically refer to "executives" or "external environment and internal conditions" but tell me if this makes sense to you logically:

"External environment and internal conditions use the set of objective criteria .... " ?

The pronoun ambiguity would happen in a situation like this:

Executives follow rules and employees follow executives, so they must be out of their mind. You can see that "they", both gramatically and logically, can refer to either "executives" or "employees".

Option B has a paralellism issue. The meaning of the sentence is that executives do a couple of things:
1) examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions --> italicized words are a sublist of 1)
2) decide on a strategy

So, as you can see now the issue is that "deciding" needs to be changed to "decide" in order to be parallel.

Thanks for your explanation.However, please read below:

external environment and internal conditions
, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive
from these analyses, can decide on a strategy.

Sentence structure is : IC,and IC (IC= Independent clause)

So this structure doesn't demand the verbs of 2 IC's to be ||
So,IMO Deciding need not be || to examine.

Plz Advice !!

Rgds,
TGC!

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 21:15
external environment and internal conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding on a strategy.

I don't see the problem in the above.However, there could be some IDIOM issue(In Deciding) on which someone could throw light upon

Thanks

Rgds,
TGC!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 12

Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 18:28
WarriorAjay wrote:
on a strategy.
decide

It's a question of meaning. Executives study X and Y and , blah blah..., decide on a strategy. D wins.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 21:54
Bluelagoon I think the more appropriate will be -
suggest in the sentence refers subjunctive mood-> suggest + that+ subject+plural verb
that Executives examine (a firm’s external environment and internal conditions) and, blah blah..., decide on a strategy.

Any thoughts??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 12

Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 22:07
kawan84 wrote:
Bluelagoon I think the more appropriate will be -
suggest in the sentence refers subjunctive mood-> suggest + that+ subject+plural verb
that Executives examine (a firm’s external environment and internal conditions) and, blah blah..., decide on a strategy.

Any thoughts??

yes i think that's another way of looking at it.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 7

Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 23:40
I feel that option D has a (noun) modifier issue. The portion of the sentence "using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses" is a noun modifier expecting "executives" or a "they" preceding or following it immediately. For instance, look at SC Grail for examples on Dangling modifiers. There they something like:
Incorrect : Using a bat, a ball can be hit
Correct: Using a bat, a cricketer can hit a ball
I will go for option (B) here.
Experts please correct me if my understanding is wrong.
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1157 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 01:31
devattam wrote:
I feel that option D has a (noun) modifier issue. The portion of the sentence "using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses" is a noun modifier expecting "executives" or a "they" preceding or following it immediately. For instance, look at SC Grail for examples on Dangling modifiers. There they something like:

The portion "using (...) analyses" does not modify the preceding noun.

The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide on a strategy.

The construct COMMA + ING is a modifier that refers to a clause ( not noun ), it provides more information/shows the consequences of the action...

The structure of the sentence "executives examine (...) and (modifer of how they decide) decide"
Moreover D is the only option that respect the structure "executives examine (...) and (...) decide", all the other are not parallel.

The ING form without the comma modifies the preceding noun.
The ING form preceed by a COMMA modifes the entire clause.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 402 [0], given: 338

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 01:53
devattam wrote:

Let me try, Option B gives equal importance to all the events i.e. examine, use and decide
where actually examine and decide should be parallel and using should be a subordinate ... which is correctly done in D

Does it help?

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question

Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2013, 01:53