Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 11:21
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (02:03) correct 38% (01:17) wrong based on 640 sessions
The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a
firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective
criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide
on a strategy.
A. conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses,
can decide
B. conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in
deciding
C. conditions and, in using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses,
deciding
D. conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide
E. conditions and, in their use of the set of objective criteria they derive from these
analyses, they decide
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 11 May 2013, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 1

Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 00:07
This post received
KUDOS
I think the correct option is D.

"suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide on a strategy."

The highlighted portions should be parallel. " can" in original sentence is wrong.

A. conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses,
can decide
B. conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in
deciding
C. conditions and, in using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses,
deciding
D. conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide - correct option
E. conditions and, in their use of the set of objective criteria they derive from these
analyses, they decide

Answer is - D
What is the OA?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NCC,SAE,YHIA
WE 1: 3 years international sales & mktg-projects
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 02:42
I cannot decide between B & D :-

deciding--on a strategy
Deciding seems wrong as the situation does not demand progressive tense.

D. conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide
And, using seems wrong, if only using was used without conjunction "and", it would be more plausible.
What is OA

Sun Tzu-Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 19

Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 03:08
This post received
KUDOS
A. C, E are out because 'in using' and 'in their using' sounds awkward. \

B- Here examine and deciding are not parallel. Also the punctuation is incorrect. There is a comma before 'and' rather than after 'and'

D- they examine and ,using X, decide on Y

Hence answer must be D.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 04:22
This post received
KUDOS
D is correct because of parallelism between 'examine' and 'decide'.

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 06:23
IMO D :)

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 07:14
D for me.

||: examine and decide.

Please OA.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 16:00
D for me too. Though the sentence is bit funny because of "external environment and internal conditions and, using the set of objective criteria...."...generally the comma is before 'and'
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 948 [1] , given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 02:14
This post received
KUDOS
I have one doubt.

The official explanation says that there is no need to repeat the subject 'THEY' in A and B.

But both A and B have the use of ',and' that implies two clauses are connected by the 'and'. Thus we definitely need a subject after ',and'.

M I wrong?

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 20:45
I also have a question on this form. My understanding is that if you use the "and," form, the clause after the "and," must have a verb and subject. OA D seems to violate. Can anyone shed some light on this apparent contradiction?
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 21:30
I have highlighted your query - that structure is valid.
subject = executives
verb = examine, decide
and = conjunction

The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal
D. conditions and, [strike]using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses[/strike], decide

If you loose the non essentials in a sentence the meaning will not change. So I strike what is non essential i.e. between the commas. Now the meaning is executives examine and decide.
examine || decide. Hope that helps !

Pardon me for using bright colors :)
abmyers wrote:
I also have a question on this form. My understanding is that if you use the "and," form, the clause after the "and," must have a verb and subject. OA D seems to violate. Can anyone shed some light on this apparent contradiction?
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1596 [4] , given: 249

Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 00:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
One essential feature of parallelism is that in compound sentences, which use connecters such as and, or, but etc, if the subject of the first part is also the subject of the second part, then we can omit the subject in the second part. (Executives in this case)

e.g.: Tom went to London and [strike]he[/strike] stayed for one month. Here ther is no need to repeat the pronoun he; It is in fact considered redundant.

Inflation stayed high before the central bank raised the interest rate but [strike](inflation / it)[/strike] dropped significantly soon after. We can drop the subject of the second part.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 03:00
I did choose D over B considering 'use X in deciding on Y' as slightly unidiomatic.
'use X to decide on Y' is better. (Is it?)
but it seems former is perfectly fine idiom.

On the use of comma before and after 'and' I think both B and D are correct.

When we use ',and' while connecting two independent clause, i think using subject is perfectly fine.
'Tom went to London ,and he stayed for one month'

When we don't want to use comma it's better not use subject again. It is like you are connecting two verbs. So repeating subject is redundant.

'Tom went to London and stayed for one month'

So in this Q, B is of first type and D is of second. (in D commas are enclosing modifier)

Conquer the Hell and make it Haven. Brain is your hell and Success is your haven!

"Kudos" is significant part of GMAT prep. If you like it, you just click it :)

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 11:10
D for // structure . none of the other options is satisfactory

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 21:42
iDisappear wrote:
The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a
firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective
criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide
on a strategy.
can decide
deciding
deciding
analyses, they decide

(D) has a modifier issue, it sounds like it is modifying external environment and internal conditions when it should be modifying executives...?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 01:54
D for parallelism and 'decide'.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 03:45
According to my source OA is D.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 616 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 04:07
Expert's post
Having read the entire discussion thoroughly, I must say that everyone has missed-I guess I am not wrong-a subtle difference between the intended meaning and the rest of the sentences.
Option A uses "can decide", so shouldn't we limit ourselves to the intended meaning and choose A rather?

Please let me know if I am wrong.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
Status: "Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the f**k you were gonna do anyway." - Quite a status, Huh!
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GRE 1: 318 Q167 V151
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

SC - Help [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 12:29
The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide on a strategy.

(A) conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide
(B) conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding
(C) conditions and, in using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, deciding
(D) conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide
(E) conditions and, in their use of the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, they decide

I thought the answer should be B, not sure how it's D. Need help with the explanation. The explanation in the VA Review 2nd Edition is not clear to me.

Cheers!

Life is too short not to be an MBA...

Last edited by Zarrolou on 11 May 2013, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics
Manager
Manager
Schools: Smith '16 (I)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 12:44
Marcab wrote:
Having read the entire discussion thoroughly, I must say that everyone has missed-I guess I am not wrong-a subtle difference between the intended meaning and the rest of the sentences.
Option A uses "can decide", so shouldn't we limit ourselves to the intended meaning and choose A rather?

Please let me know if I am wrong.

I agree with Marcab here, and to be frank, I am not convinced with OA.
In D " using" is used as a verb-Ing modifier modifying executives, even though it correctly modifies executives, it just doesn't make sense as there is no cause-effect relation here.
Execs don't examine firms environment using the set of objective criteria. rather set of objective criterias is to derive at decision.
I will rather be comfortable with something like "executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions" and "use the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses to decide on a strategy" or some construction similar to that.
verbal experts, please answer..

Life is very similar to a boxing ring.
Defeat is not final when you fall down…
It is final when you refuse to get up and fight back!

1 Kudos = 1 thanks
Nikhil

Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests   [#permalink] 11 May 2013, 12:44