Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 09:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The not so successful GMAT story.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

The not so successful GMAT story. [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 12:47
So guys last month I left a post about my GMAT story. I originally took the test back in December 2010 and scored a woeful 440. After countless classes and practice tests I chose to retake in July 2011 and I improved my score to a 520. Whilst I was deeply disappointed that I wasn't within the 600 threshold, I was glad that I had demonstrated some improvement. Furthermore, my exam was interrupted by a fire alarm which resulted in a 45 minute wait outside the test centre and a serious break in my flow. Nevertheless, I was determined to retake, prove my doubters wrong and put this Godforsaken examination to bed.

I have spent the last month studying intensively and spent a sufficient amount of time on improving my verbal skills as this was the area which surprisingly weakened my final score. Considering I am A] a native speaker B] studied a number of foreign languages to an advanced level and C] attained a B in English A-Level I was always surprised that this part of my exam was indeed my achilles heel. I should also note that I purchased the Kaplan Premier text book and chose to take their CAT exams as this was the last remaining "fresh" piece of material at my disposal and would have given me the best indicator of my abilities

My four scores were as follows:

CAT 1 580 Q 38 V 29
CAT 2 560 Q 35 V 28
CAT 3 550 Q 34 V 29
CAT 4 590 Q 39 V 27

So after countless research on the Kaplan CAT exams and using the GMAT Club score predictor I was hoping for a score anywhere between 570-630. Today was test day, i woke up early in the morning, went over my idioms checklist and answered a few GMAT q's from the Manhattan Website. I watched my Rocky 4 training montage scene on YouTube, said my prayers and went to the exam centre. After four grueling and stressful hours I decided to click on the "report my test scores icon". I attained a disgraceful and sickening result of 440. Yes, 440. Words cannot describe how repulsed I felt by the score. I have spent over one year studying for this test [4 months intensively the rest was when I was in employment] spent over 5,000 GBP on the test and devoted so much time that it feels like a complete and utter waste of time.

I have to say that whilst this website is without doubt the best of its kind and truly assists with one's studying there are not enough stories that actually explain the true complexities of this exam. It destroys your mind, well it has in my case, and can really affect your way of living. I have now come to the conclusion that GMAT is simply not for me. I by no means believe I am at a 440 level, although my score report states otherwise, but I am of the belief that I am simply not blessed in taking standardised exams. Coming from the UK, I am not accustomed to standardised tests and nor do I believe i ever will be. Nevertheless, I am taking one final punt and will be begging some tier 2 universities for a placement. I highly doubt that it will come to fruition but I have to exhaust every possible avenue.

The GMAT is by far the most stressful examination that I have ever taken. I strongly believe that the test is catered for some and not for others. In fact, I have come to the conclusion that our brains are 'hard wired" in a certain way and irrespective of training or continuous practice it will not and cannot change. This is a purely subjective point of view and I am sure there are many people here will strongly disagree with my conclusion. I am come from an arts and humanities background but studied finance at university. I was never strong in mathematics but I strongly felt that i could turn the corner with this test. How wrong was I!!

Despite my sombre and bitter tone I would like to express my gratitude for all of those on this website who have assisted me especially Mahtab. I cannot thank you enough. I would also like to wish all those who are taking the GMAT the very best of luck. Hopefully with this post you will realise that this test is by no means plain sailing and that serious hard work unfortunately doesn't yield the desired results.

Best,
MA 8-)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
The not so successful GMAT story.   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2011, 12:47