Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The number of antelope in a certain herd increases every

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS, Harvard, Booth, Stanford, ISB, NTU
WE 1: S/W Engineer
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [5] , given: 15

The number of antelope in a certain herd increases every [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 01:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (02:10) correct 36% (01:00) wrong based on 175 sessions
The number of antelope in a certain herd increases every year at a constant rate. If there are 500 antelope in the herd today, how many years will it take for the number of antelope to double?

(1) Ten years from now, there will be more than ten times the current number of antelope in the herd.

(2) If the herd were to grow in number at twice its current rate, there would be 980 antelope in the group in two years.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3279

Kudos [?]: 22985 [4] , given: 2653

Re: Herd of antelope [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jananijayakumar wrote:
The number of antelope in a certain herd increases every year at a constant rate. If there are 500 antelope in the herd today, how many years will it take for the number of antelope to double?

(1) Ten years from now, there will be more than ten times the current number of antelope in the herd.

(2) If the herd were to grow in number at twice its current rate, there would be 980 antelope in the group in two years.

Let the rate of increase be r (so after 1 year # of antelope will be 500*(1+r), after 2 years # of antelope will be 500*(1+r)^2 and so on). Question: if 500*(1+r)^k=2*500 --> (1+r)^k=2, then k=?

(1) Ten years from now, there will be more than ten times the current number of antelope in the herd --> 500*(1+r)^{10}>10*500 --> (1+r)^{10}>10 --> different values of r satisfies this inequality hence we'll have different values of k. Not sufficient.

(2) If the herd were to grow in number at twice its current rate, there would be 980 antelope in the group in two years --> 500*(1+2r)^2=980 --> as there is only one unknown we can find its (acceptable) value thus we can calculate k. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 88 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Population Growth - Antelope [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 04:30
This post received
KUDOS
Here's the explanation.

To answer your first question, why x^10 > 10 is not sufficient.
You are asked, in the question, to determine the number of years it will take for the antelope herd to double in number. i.e. currently there are 500 Antelopes, when will it become 1000?

Considering the statement x^10 > 10, x can be any number greater than or equal to 2.
This means that we cannot practically determine the exact time required for the herd to double in number. So Statement 1 is insufficient.

Let's consider statement 2. This states that if the herd were to grow at twice it's current rate, there would be 980 antelopes in 2 years.

Let the current rate of growth be x
As per statement 2, if the growth rate is double the current rate, there would be 980 antelopes in 2 years.
So, the new growth rate would be 2x
So, in 1 Year, the number of antelopes would be 500(2x)
And in 2 Years, the number of antelopes would be 500(2x)^2, which is given to be 980
Solving this equation, we get
4x^2 = 980/500
i.e. x^2 = 49/100
Solving for x, we get x = 0.7
Using this, we can definitely determine the time required for the herd to double in number.

Hence, statement 2 is sufficient on its own to answer the question.

Hence the correct option is B.

Hope this helps!

MBA Candidate 2015 | Georgetown University
McDonough School of Business

Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS, Harvard, Booth, Stanford, ISB, NTU
WE 1: S/W Engineer

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: Herd of antelope [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 19:54
Thanks for the wonderful explanation Bunuel. You make each problem sound so simple! +1 to you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Herd of antelope [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 08:29
Good problem that!!
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 301 [0], given: 217

GMAT Tests User
Population Growth - Antelope [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 14:37
(2) If the herd were to grow in number at twice its current rate, there would be 980 antelope in the
group in two years.

Ok guys - this is how I am trying to solve this. But I got stuck. So can someone please help to unstuck me? :cry:

Considering question stem

Let's assume that rate of growth be x

So,

Time Growth
Today 500
In 1 year 500x
In 2 years 500x^2
In n years 500x^n

Therefore, 500x^n>5000 => x^n > 10 ------------------------------------------------------(1)

So now the question becomes what is the value of x and n?

Now considering statement 1

500x^10>5000
x^10>10 --------> Why this is insufficient?

Now considering statement 2

Let say growth be y

Time Population
Now 500
In 1 year 500y
In 2 years 500y^2

Therefore 500y^2=980
Y^2 = 980/500
y = 7/4 as it can't be negative. Again I am stuck after this. Can someone please guide me through?

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Population Growth - Antelope [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 07:02
we need to find the rate. let it be K
Statement. 1: we only know on year ten the number will be more than 5000. nothing else. no way to find the rate. Insufficient.

Statement 2: 500+ 500*2K=980
Sufficient to find the rate k.
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 301 [0], given: 217

GMAT Tests User
Re: Population Growth - Antelope [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 15:19
Hello BDSunDevil - We have to find the time and not the rate.

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Population Growth - Antelope [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 02:29
Yeah. But, only if you get the rate, you get the figure for 3rd year and so on. which, will lead you to the desired year.
I hope i am doing it right.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.87

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Population Growth - Antelope [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 15:12
Alright, this is how I did it. (1) is of absolutely no significance because the statement "more than ten times" is incredibly vague and can mean anything from 10.1 times to 1,000,000,000 times more.

So, if (1) is incidental then we can cancel out options A, C and D. All we need to do now is figure if (2) can give you an answer.

If x is the rate and the herd will grow at twice it's current rate, then we can find next year's population by the equation 500 + 2x(500) and the population the year after would be 500 + 2x(500) 2x(2x{500}) = 980. Now we can solve for the rate of growth x. From there we just count how many years it takes to increase the herd at that constant rate. I'd do the math, but since we don't have to solve the problem, just know that/how it can be solved, there's not much point.

Answer B.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 4

Re: The number of antelope in a certain herd increases every [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 20:45
Thanks was a little confused on this one... Good clarification.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
The number of antelope in a certain herd increases every [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 05:40
On population type questions, do we always assume that we are dealing with exponential growth? On the GMAT, how would we differentiate between exponential growth and linear growth?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22985 [0], given: 2653

Re: The number of antelope in a certain herd increases every [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 03:56
Expert's post
macjas wrote:
On population type questions, do we always assume that we are dealing with exponential growth? On the GMAT, how would we differentiate between exponential growth and linear growth?

Growth at some rate means that we have exponential growth.
Growth at some constant amount means linear growth (for example if we were told that "the number of antelope in a certain herd increases every year by 1,000").

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: The number of antelope in a certain herd increases every [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 17:49
Can someone pls. clarify how to decide if the question is indicating an arithmetic progression or geometric progression. I thought constant rate refers to a growth by a certain constant number...and constant ratio/ factor means it is more a multiplier..

IN this question for example...I interpreted the statement 2 as..

Let x be initial growth rate ...so first year 500 + x
second year = 500+ 2x

Now if rate is doubled....first year = 500+2x
second year = 500+4x

Where am I interpreting incorrectly?

why is second year = 500+x^2

Pls. provide clarification...thanks in advance
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: The number of antelope in a certain herd increases every [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 02:29
Expert's post
audiogal101 wrote:
Can someone pls. clarify how to decide if the question is indicating an arithmetic progression or geometric progression. I thought constant rate refers to a growth by a certain constant number...and constant ratio/ factor means it is more a multiplier..

second year = 500+ 2x

second year = 500+4x

Check here: the-number-of-antelope-in-a-certain-herd-increases-every-99810.html#p1113618

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

SVP
SVP
Followers: 167

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The number of antelope in a certain herd increases every [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 23:53
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The number of antelope in a certain herd increases every [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 05:44
audiogal101 wrote:

second year = 500+ 2x

second year = 500+4x

Can someone please explain why this is not the case of linear growth when constant rate is written in the question. Sorry if not asking in correct forum.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: The number of antelope in a certain herd increases every [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 06:29
Expert's post
shukasa wrote:
audiogal101 wrote:

second year = 500+ 2x

second year = 500+4x

Can someone please explain why this is not the case of linear growth when constant rate is written in the question. Sorry if not asking in correct forum.

Have you checked this post: the-number-of-antelope-in-a-certain-herd-increases-every-99810.html#p1113618 ?

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The number of antelope in a certain herd increases every [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 07:55
oh my mistake, I interpreted it wrong..
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 18

Premium Member
The number of antelope in a certain herd increases every [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 23:56
The Official Explanation in MGMAT CAT Test is :

To solve a population growth question, we can use a population chart to track the growth. The annual growth rate in this question is unknown, so we will represent it as x. For example, if the population doubles each year, x = 2; if it grows by 50% each year, x = 1.5. Each year the population is multiplied by this factor of x.

Time
Population
Now
in 1 year
500x
in 2 years
500x2
:
:
in n years
500xn

The question is asking us to find the minimum number of years it will take for the herd to double in number. In other words, we need to find the minimum value of n that would yield a population of 1000 or more.

We can represent this as an inequality:
500xn > 1000
xn > 2

In other words, we need to find what integer value of n would cause xn to be greater than 2. To solve this, we need to know the value of x. Therefore, we can rephrase this question as: “What is x, the annual growth factor of the herd?”

(1) INSUFFICIENT: This tells us that in ten years the following inequality will hold:
500x10 > 5000
x10 > 10

There are an infinite number of growth factors, x, that satisfy this inequality.
For example, x = 1.5 and x = 2 both satisfy this inequality.
If x = 2, the herd of antelope doubles after one year.
If x = 1.5, the herd of antelope will be more than double after two years 500(1.5)(1.5) = 500(2.25).

(2) SUFFICIENT: This will allow us to find the growth factor of the herd. We can represent the growth factor from the statement as y. (NOTE y does not necessarily equal 2x because x is a growth factor. For example, if the herd actually grows at a rate of 10% each year, x = 1.1, but y = 1.2, i.e. 20%)

Time
Population
Now
in 1 year
500y
in 2 years
500y2

According to the statement, 500y2 = 980
y2 = 980/500
y2 = 49/25
y = 7/5 OR 1.4 (y can’t be negative because we know the herd is growing)
This means that the hypothetical double rate from the statement represents an annual growth rate of 40%.
The actual growth rate is therefore 20%, so x = 1.2.

The correct answer is B.

So X can take a value of 0.7 or 1.2 right? If I consider y=2x. Why am I not allowed to take y = 2x? Someone plz explain

Never give up, never celebrate, never leave your spot until it is finally over
We are winning this GMAT-war together

"Your one spot for all your GMAT and B-school ranking know hows" - Click here

The number of antelope in a certain herd increases every   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2014, 23:56