Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 09:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The number of applications for teaching positions in Newtown

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: support to explanation [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 09:31
OA please vageesh.
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: support to explanation [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2009, 21:21
The OA is E, according to a private source, as well as the discussion from the other forum.

However, I feel that this question is poorly constructed. I think the answer is E, after carefully thinking and brainwashing myself, because C does not adequately explain the conclusion in this argument. The conclusion of the argument states " Newtown does not face a shortage in the late 1990's". If you read C carefully, the answer becomes irrelavent because the answer is discussing what the school board believes, but not addressing the conclusion itself, that there's no shortage. If you were to look at E, you'd find that the explanation in E talks about who there's no shortage. After convincing myself to this thinking, I still feel that E is not a good answer because it simply talks about 1993. Since the conclusion states 1990's, 1993 itself should not adequately address the explanation because we do not know what happened in 1997, or 1998, etc.

.....my personal conclusion is...this question sucks...

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 40

Re: support to explanation [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 18:20
I don't think that this question is bad.
Premise: decrease in the number of APPLICATIONS
Conclusion: shortage of teachers (the number of VACANCIES increased)
There is a gap between the number of APPLICATIONS and that of VACANCIES.
Only E adresses this gap.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 109

Re: support to explanation [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 19:28
+1 E

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 43

Re: support to explanation [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 00:13
yeah I will also go for E. A simpler one though.

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 543

Re: The number of applications for teaching positions in Newtown [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 07:43
I picked C for this question can someone explain! Thanks.

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 613 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The number of applications for teaching positions in Newtown [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 07:59
fozzzy wrote:
I picked C for this question can someone explain! Thanks.

The number of applications for teaching positions in Newtown’s public schools was 5.7 percent lower in 1993 than in 1985 and 5.9 percent lower in 1994 than in 1985. despite a steadily growing student population and an increasing number of teacher resignations, however, Newtown does not face a shortage in the late 1990’s.

ACCORDING TO ARGUMENT:
NUMBER OF APPLICATION HAS DROPPED IN 1993 AND 1994...compared to number of application of year 1985
now it also says school doesnt face shortage..in late 1990
this is possible only either number of application was much higher than availability of teaching position in 1985
or student to teacher ratio would have increased.

now option C
(C) The Newtown school board does not contemplate increasing the ratio of students to teachers in the 1990’s.==>
THIS SHOWS THAT THEY HAVE NOT INCREASED THE RATIO THING...so it is not explainig the paradox...
if it were like this
The Newtown school board contemplate increasing the ratio of students to teachers in the 1990’s===>then it would have been the right answer

(E) In 1993 Newtown’s public schools received 40 percent more applications for teaching positions than there were positions available.===>this one clearly answering the paradox....number of available positions was less...so small decrease in number of application ...doesnt affect ....hence this one is correct

hope it helps FOZZY :-D

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 77

Re: The number of applications for teaching positions in Newtown [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2014, 19:36
I choose E because others seem wrong, but I'm not sure the answer and could some instructor or expert give a hint?
Re: The number of applications for teaching positions in Newtown   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2014, 19:36