Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 72
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2008, 12:09
C for sure :-D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 133
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2008, 12:23
ldpedroso wrote:
The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will not help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

a) Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.
> Irrelevant
b) Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.
> This will help to a certain degree. Not "all" carriers will be detected but surely "some" can be detected
c) Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.
> This will help to a certain degree because even if 50% of visitors are examined, they may be able to prevent it to some degree
d) Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.
> This will not be helpful 100%.
e) Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.
> Irrelevant.

I disagree with the OA...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 418
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 21:16
ldpedroso: You should post the OA. YOur question was posted on 8 June.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 07:07
D doesnt work, even if tuberculosis is not spread through human contact, country x wont let the infected in, so they will control it. One can hypothesise that one doesnt have to travel to country x in order to infect someone there but its out of scope.

C doesnt work, if country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors, they will let in only the examined healthy ones.

B works, if someone infected appears to be healthy he will get in.

Where do you people get these ambigious CRs from?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3405
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 07:57
i think D is best..

it says that animals could be carriers or insects..then in that case inspecting visitors from Y wont help!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 09:46
Or it could be that its spread through human breath from a close range, or any other non-contact way that would do no harm, out of scope.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 187
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 11:02
This question has been discussed on TestMagic and the OA is D according to them.

http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-critica ... try-x.html
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 12:22
Then OA is wrong, like I said just because its not spread via human contact, doesnt mean that its not spread in the non-contact way that would require infected persons to enter the country x in order to spread the infection there.

Whos the author of this one, testmagic ,gmac?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 64
Schools: Duke '13
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 12:38
dearxavier is right about D being incorrect irrespective of what OA is posted elsewhere. I have found several incorrect OAs in this forum in a relativley short period of time. However, I disagree with his/her answer choice.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 18:58
ldpedroso wrote:
The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will not help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

a) Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.
b) Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.
c) Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.
d) Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.
e) Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.


I disagree with the OA...



Conclusion:. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.
Assumption made -Visitors are source/carriers of infection

B weakens the arguments.Country X considers only humans as carriers.Infection may spread thru air,water,mosquoites...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 64
Schools: Duke '13
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 08:45
I disagree that B weakens the argument. The argument health officials make is that visitors from Country Y are the likely source of infection and therefore must submit to medical examinations before entering country X so as to reduce the exposure of inhabitants of X to infected visitors from Y.
Answer B states that “current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of TB”. Because current medical technology does not detect ALL carriers does not mean the use of such technology will not “curb” the spread of TB as required by the question stem if it is true that infected travelers from Y spread the disease in X.
If it is true, then current medical technology need not detect “ALL” infected carriers of TB to “curb” the spread of TB in X. Rather, it only need detect some of the infected travelers from Y. Any reduction will curb the spread. The question does not ask what will eliminate the spread.
In order to weaken the argument made by health officials one must demonstrate the people from Country Y are not the likely source of infection in Country X not that current medical technology does not detect “ALL” carriers. By noting that other countries bordering Y have not experienced the same increase in TB as Country X, we recognize that Country Y is not likely the root source.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 09:22
OK ...Pedro...its time to post the OA.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 12:40
I think it B....

No OA is not good, can we change the datatype of Kudos..Instead of whole number, it should be an integer..... :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 418
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2008, 11:41
comebackkid wrote:
I disagree that B weakens the argument. The argument health officials make is that visitors from Country Y are the likely source of infection and therefore must submit to medical examinations before entering country X so as to reduce the exposure of inhabitants of X to infected visitors from Y.
Answer B states that “current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of TB”. Because current medical technology does not detect ALL carriers does not mean the use of such technology will not “curb” the spread of TB as required by the question stem if it is true that infected travelers from Y spread the disease in X.
If it is true, then current medical technology need not detect “ALL” infected carriers of TB to “curb” the spread of TB in X. Rather, it only need detect some of the infected travelers from Y. Any reduction will curb the spread. The question does not ask what will eliminate the spread.
In order to weaken the argument made by health officials one must demonstrate the people from Country Y are not the likely source of infection in Country X not that current medical technology does not detect “ALL” carriers. By noting that other countries bordering Y have not experienced the same increase in TB as Country X, we recognize that Country Y is not likely the root source.



I agree with you that B does not weaken the conclusion.
b) Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.
Can not detect all but may detect some carriers (such as people or others) ==> help curb the spread ==> strengthen the conclusion (even not very much)

I still choose C.


rajesh04 wrote:
I think it B....

No OA is not good, can we change the datatype of Kudos..Instead of whole number, it should be an integer..... :P


No OA is not good :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 64
Schools: Duke '13
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2008, 19:01
Lexis, here are my reasons as to why C is not the correct answer with a brief look at my discussion from above :

The argument health officials advance is that visitors from Country Y are the likely source of infection and therefore must submit to medical examinations before entering country X so as to reduce the exposure of inhabitants of X to infected visitors from Y.

Answer C states “Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y”. It is not relevant whether X can examine ALL visitors from Y. In fact, anything less than “ALL” logically encompasses zero visitors from Y to all minus one visitors from Y. While this may not be readily apparent it is what choice C states.

Again, the questions stem asks for the answer choice that most strongly supports the argument by health officials that visitors from Country Y are the likely source of infection and therefore must submit to medical examinations before entering country X so as to reduce the exposure of inhabitants of X to infected visitors from Y.

Because Country X does not have the resources to examine “ALL” visitors from Country Y does not mean that the examinations it performs will not “curb” the spread of TB in X.

Clearly, if Country X examines some number less than ALL of the visitors of Y, say 75% of the visitors form Y, and they prevent some number of infected visitors from Y then the examinations will successfully help “curb” the spread of TB. The burden is not to “eliminate” the spread of TB. Rather, it is merely to “curb” its spread.

The correct answer is A.
GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 967
Location: Toronto
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 664 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 07:08
ldpedroso wrote:
The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will not help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

a) Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.
b) Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.
c) Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.
d) Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.
e) Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.


An interesting question. First, the use of 'tuberculosis' here is a red herring. CR questions do not test your knowledge of medical conditions; they test your ability to analyze an argument. Our prior knowledge of tuberculosis- that it's spread through human contact- might influence our answer here, and lead us to an incorrect analysis of the argument. Indeed, D asks us to assume something we know to be false in real life. We should not think of tuberculosis at all; we might replace 'tuberculosis' in the question with any other condition- 'insomnia', or 'stress', or 'depression', for example.

Then the structure of the argument becomes clear. There is a 'post hoc ergo propter hoc' fallacy- just because one thing happens after another does not mean one thing was caused by the other. The argument says: "Y had high levels of stress (or whatever you like) last year. X had high levels of stress this year. Therefore stress in Y caused stress in X." This is not a valid argument, at least not without further support. It may just be coincidence that X had high levels of stress the year after Y did. High levels of stress might be caused by environmental factors, economic conditions, political turmoil, etc...

The assumption is that visitors from Y brought 'stress' to X. Answer D suggests that people do not transmit stress- that the cause lies elsewhere. D is the correct answer. It's not 'airtight', of course; we can imagine scenarios where the screening would be helpful even if human contact is not the cause, but these all seem unlikely. D "most strongly suggests" that the screening won't be effective, even if it is not 100% convincing.

I'd note, finally, that B and C must be incorrect, even if we grant the assumption that tuberculosis is contagious. If tuberculosis is contagious, even screening some of the visitors from Y will reduce the spread of the disease. As has been pointed out, the question does not ask whether the medical examinations will completely eradicate tuberculosis. A is incorrect because we have no knowledge of Country Z; Country Z might have been screening all their visitors for tuberculosis for years, which might be the reason Z had no increase. Indeed, were that true, A would help to support the argument, not weaken it.
_________________

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 967
Location: Toronto
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 664 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 07:17
comebackkid wrote:
D is not correct because human contact is irrelevant. If a carriers brings the disease to X then perhaps it is spread through the use of drinking fountations or in the air when an infected person coughs. CONTACT is not required but that does not mean that carriers cannot spread the disease in another way after entering X from Y.


I'd also add that in medical terms, 'contact' means 'exposure' or 'proximity'. If a disease is spread by coughing, it is said to be spread by human contact. From the Mac dictionary:

"a disease transmitted through casual contact": touch, touching; proximity, exposure.
_________________

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 May 2008
Posts: 114
Location: São Paulo
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 16:33
Sorry for taking so long. I've been traveling...
The OA here is D, source Manhattan GMAT Prep
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 16:52
IanStewart wrote:
ldpedroso wrote:
The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will not help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

a) Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.
b) Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.
c) Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.
d) Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.
e) Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.


An interesting question. First, the use of 'tuberculosis' here is a red herring. CR questions do not test your knowledge of medical conditions; they test your ability to analyze an argument. Our prior knowledge of tuberculosis- that it's spread through human contact- might influence our answer here, and lead us to an incorrect analysis of the argument. Indeed, D asks us to assume something we know to be false in real life. We should not think of tuberculosis at all; we might replace 'tuberculosis' in the question with any other condition- 'insomnia', or 'stress', or 'depression', for example.

Then the structure of the argument becomes clear. There is a 'post hoc ergo propter hoc' fallacy- just because one thing happens after another does not mean one thing was caused by the other. The argument says: "Y had high levels of stress (or whatever you like) last year. X had high levels of stress this year. Therefore stress in Y caused stress in X." This is not a valid argument, at least not without further support. It may just be coincidence that X had high levels of stress the year after Y did. High levels of stress might be caused by environmental factors, economic conditions, political turmoil, etc...

The assumption is that visitors from Y brought 'stress' to X. Answer D suggests that people do not transmit stress- that the cause lies elsewhere. D is the correct answer. It's not 'airtight', of course; we can imagine scenarios where the screening would be helpful even if human contact is not the cause, but these all seem unlikely. D "most strongly suggests" that the screening won't be effective, even if it is not 100% convincing.

I'd note, finally, that B and C must be incorrect, even if we grant the assumption that tuberculosis is contagious. If tuberculosis is contagious, even screening some of the visitors from Y will reduce the spread of the disease. As has been pointed out, the question does not ask whether the medical examinations will completely eradicate tuberculosis. A is incorrect because we have no knowledge of Country Z; Country Z might have been screening all their visitors for tuberculosis for years, which might be the reason Z had no increase. Indeed, were that true, A would help to support the argument, not weaken it.


Good explanation Ian.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 143
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 11:39
still am not conclusive about the answer.
B and C also equally weakens the argument.
Re: CR - Turbeculosis Cases   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2010, 11:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic The number of people diagnosed with tuberculosis in a GC14 14 21 Feb 2013, 03:04
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country venmic 7 06 Aug 2012, 19:54
1 The number of people diagnosed as having a certain sarb 1 28 Jun 2012, 18:49
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country vatsas 9 21 Sep 2011, 08:03
1 The number of people diagnosed as having a certain bacterial feruz77 3 20 Oct 2010, 00:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 46 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.