Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Aug 2016, 07:15
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The number of North American children who are obese-that is,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 87 [2] , given: 0

The number of North American children who are obese-that is, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2004, 09:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (02:14) correct 52% (01:28) wrong based on 746 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

114. The number of North American children who are obese-that is, who have more body fat than do 85 percent of North American children their age---is steadily increasing, according to four major studies conducted over the past 15 years.

If the finding reported above is correct, it can be properly concluded that

(A) when four majors studies all produce similar results, those studies must be accurate
(B) North American children have been progressively less physically active over the past 15 years
(C) the number of North American children who are not obese increased over the past 15 years
(D) over the past 15 years, the number of North American children who are underweight has declined
(E) the incidence of obesity in North American children tends to increase as the children grow older
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by JarvisR on 26 Aug 2015, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.
OA updated
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

Re: The number of North American children who are obese-that is, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2004, 10:12
C, my answer.
we have 15% obese children. or 15 out of 100.
consider that the children population increased to 200. This means, children population will have 30 obese children.

number of obese children is directly proportional to children population. we know that the number of obese is increasing, in turn the number of non-obese.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2004, 11:13
D (1min 42 s)

that was my answer, but I now think that "underweight" has no relevance to the argument. Ans should be C :-(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2004, 20:56
1 min & C. Agree with dj's explanation.

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'r gonna get"

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2004, 23:23
C here. I am not sure if DJ's explanation is correct or not (are we sure that the number of children has increased?), but me still thinks C is the best choice

--

./abisurd
Not absurd :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2004, 01:14
I opted for (D), but after reading DJ's explanation, (C) looks better.

(Such kind of CR's are my weakness, CR's that talk about percentage and all. Any advice how to crack these!!)
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2004, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
The OA is C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 801

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2015, 08:36
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2015, 19:14
the answer "c" is not convincing
rate of increase for obese children -10%
Case 1 Total number of children increases

------------Obese-----Non-Obease------Total
Year-1---- 10--------90----------------100
Year-2-----11--------90----------------101
Year-3---- 12--------90----------------102
Year-4---- 13--------90----------------103

Case 2 Total number of children constant
------------Obese-----Non-Obease--------Total
Year-1---- 10-------- 90----------------100
Year-2---- 11-------- 89-----------------100
Year-3---- 12---------88-----------------100
Year-4---- 13--------87----------------- 100

it is not mentioned that total number of children are increasing/decreasing.In both case Number on nonobese children need not increase
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2015, 14:28
pkm9995109794 wrote:
the answer "c" is not convincing
rate of increase for obese children -10%
Case 1 Total number of children increases

------------Obese-----Non-Obease------Total
Year-1---- 10--------90----------------100
Year-2-----11--------90----------------101
Year-3---- 12--------90----------------102
Year-4---- 13--------90----------------103

Case 2 Total number of children constant
------------Obese-----Non-Obease--------Total
Year-1---- 10-------- 90----------------100
Year-2---- 11-------- 89-----------------100
Year-3---- 12---------88-----------------100
Year-4---- 13--------87----------------- 100

it is not mentioned that total number of children are increasing/decreasing.In both case Number on nonobese children need not increase

If I am not mistaken, you have to keep in mind that the more obese you introduce into the system the value (body fat %) of what constitutes the 85th percentile increases.

If that happens you start seeing the number of people who was once considered obese becoming non-obese.

Just like the GMAT, if a substantial amount of people all of a sudden started scoring 800's, the more likely it is that I wont get into a top school anymore with my old score because my score potentially could no longer be considered high scoring.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 02:51
If no of children who are not obese increases then the percentage of obese children should go down.
How can C be the correct answer?
Please help! I am comprehend the logic behind C.

Regards
Kaustav
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 01:45
KAUSTAV89 wrote:
If no of children who are not obese increases then the percentage of obese children should go down.
How can C be the correct answer?
Please help! I am comprehend the logic behind C.

Regards
Kaustav

Number of children who are obese (more fat than 85% of the total children) increased.
It means that the number of the 15% fattest kids increased.
-> the 85% of non-fattest kids increased too, since both are a percentage on the total number of children. If 15% increased, then 85% increased too.
Math Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Finance
Schools: ISB
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 210

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 02:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
boksana wrote:
114. The number of North American children who are obese-that is, who have more body fat than do 85 percent of North American children their age is steadily increasing, according to four major studies conducted over the past 15 years.

(A) when four majors studies all produce similar results, those studies must be accurate

Out of scope, we are not at all concerned about the accuracy of the information.

(B) North American children have been progressively less physically active over the past 15 years

We do not know whether physical activity contributes to children not being obese / there are any other factors.

(D) over the past 15 years, the number of North American children who are underweight has declined

Weight has got nothing to do with obesity , check carefully we are considering body fat not weight.

(E) the incidence of obesity in North American children tends to increase as the children grow older

We do not have any information to infer this, out of scope.

(C) the number of North American children who are not obese increased over the past 15 years

Total No of Children = Obese Children + Non Obese Children

If number of Obese children are increasing ( keeping the total number of children same) then the number of non obese children must decrease.

Hence IMHO (C) undoubtedly

Abhishek....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 461

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 23:08
Abhishek009 wrote:
boksana wrote:
114. The number of North American children who are obese-that is, who have more body fat than do 85 percent of North American children their age is steadily increasing, according to four major studies conducted over the past 15 years.

Out of scope, we are not at all concerned about the accuracy of the information.

We do not know whether physical activity contributes to children not being obese / there are any other factors.

Weight has got nothing to do with obesity , check carefully we are considering body fat not weight.

If number of Obese children are increasing ( keeping the total number of children same) then the number of non obese children must decrease.

Hi Abhishek009

How do you know total is same?

also option C says num of non-obese children is increasing but you took it as decreasing..

please explain

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 35

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2016, 04:16
actually, when i saw the question i thought total number of children has been increasing. but, in C, how can one say non- obese children are increasing? it can be increase in total number of children increase, without increase in non-obese but just increase in obese. please explain.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 22

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2016, 23:41
Abhishek009 wrote:
boksana wrote:

This logic is flawed. You are saying total no. of children is same ( not possible)

From the argument :

Definition of obesity : bf> 85% of NA kids. So 85% people always need to have bodyfat less than whatever is the current obesity level.

85% = no. of non obese/ (no. of obese + no. of non obese)

So if no. of obese is increasing, to keep the 85% constant. no. of non obese has to increase as well. Else there will be a drop in 85%.

Clearly C

Kudos if I helped ;)

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 116

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 03:18
I chose the wrong one, but agreed that C is the correct answer after the calculation. Let's see the statistics:

year------------------------# of children------obese-------non-obese--------obese%
one of the 15 years---------1000-------------150---------850--------------- 15%
another year-----------------2000-------------300---------1700------------- 15%

To conform to the 15% data, the numbers of both obese and non-obese children should increase.

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

The number of North American children who are obese-that is,   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2016, 03:18