Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:29 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Comparisonsx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1927 [268]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [64]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GPA: 3.28
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [12]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [8]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The number of undergraduate degrees in engineering awarded by colleges [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
lexis wrote:
The number of undergraduate degrees in engineering awarded by colleges and universities in the United States increased by more than twice from 1978 to 1985.

(A) increased by more than twice

(B) increased more than two times

(C) more than doubled

(D) was more than doubled

(E) had more than doubled

Please compare TWICE with DOUBLE with INCREASE.

Choice A is faulty because an adverb such as twice cannot function as an object of the preposition by.

B distorts the sentence’s meaning, stating that the number of engineering degrees conferred increased on more than two distinct occasions.

D’s passive verb was…doubled suggests without warrant that some unnamed agent increase the number of engineering degrees.

The past perfect tense in E, had… doubled, is inappropriate unless the increase in engineering degrees is specifically being viewed as having occurred further back in the past than some subsequent event.

Choice C is best.

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that between 1978 and 1985, the number of undergraduate degrees in engineering awarded by colleges and universities in the United States increased more than twofold.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Tenses

• The simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.
• The past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is used when a sentence contains two actions in the past; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past".

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "increased by more than twice"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that between 1978 and 1985, the number of undergraduate degrees in engineering awarded by colleges and universities in the United States increased more than twofold.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "increased more than two times"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that between 1978 and 1985, the number of undergraduate degrees in engineering awarded by colleges and universities in the United States increased on more than two occassions; the intended meaning is that between 1978 and 1985, the number of undergraduate degrees in engineering awarded by colleges and universities in the United States increased more than twofold.

C: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "more than doubled", conveying the intended meaning - that between 1978 and 1985, the number of undergraduate degrees in engineering awarded by colleges and universities in the United States increased more than twofold, by itself. Further, Option C correctly uses the simple past tense verb "doubled" to refer to an action that concluded in the past.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "was more than doubled"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that between 1978 and 1985, some unspecified entity increased number of undergraduate degrees in engineering awarded by colleges and universities in the United States more than twofold; the intended meaning is that between 1978 and 1985, the number of undergraduate degrees in engineering awarded by colleges and universities in the United States increased more than twofold, by itself.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the past perfect tense verb "had...doubled" to refer to an action that concluded in the past; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past, and the past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is used when a sentence contains two actions in the past; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past".

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Past Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [10]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: The number of undergraduate degrees in engineering awarded by colleges [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think C.

Twice means how many times something happens. It can also be used like "Joe has twice the peanuts that Sally has." Used like the second sentence here will be "twice" with regard to something else. Not "by twice".

Doubled is a verb (in the past tense of "double"). "He doubled the recipe." When something is doubled, there is now 2 times the amount, or 200%, or a 100% increase, etc.

lexis wrote:
The number of undergraduate degrees in engineering awarded by colleges and universities in the United
States increased by more than twice from 1978 to 1985.
"twice" refers to something in a sequence. Like "He hit me twice." "It happened twice." "It increased twice" but not "by twice".
This is correct grammar, but not the original meaning of the sentence. I think this sentence means the number went up more than double. Increasing more than two times means the number of times it increased, not by how much it increased.
(C) more than doubled
Correct.
Something can't be more than doubled. It can be more than double [that of some other number]. This is incorrect.
The logical word following this phrase is "since _____" not "from".

Please compare TWICE with DOUBLE with INCREASE.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [22]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
 Q39  V28
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
rohansherry wrote:
The number of undergraduate degrees in engineering awarded by colleges and universities in the United States increased by more than twice from 1978 to 1985.
(C) more than doubled

OA: c.....i doubt it has no verb..pls explain

The trick here is to skip the "not so important" part of the sentence. We can then write the sentence as The number of undergraduate degrees ...from 1978 to 1985

Lets find error in each of the options-
A) increased by more than twice - It should be either "increased by more than two times" or "increased more than twice". A is unidiomatic.
B) increased more than two times - Similarly, B is unidiomatic.
D) was more than doubled - Unneccessary form of "to be"
E) had more than doubled - Unnecessary change in tense to Past Perfect.

C) more than doubled - Best Answer choice since it is precise and conveys the message in the simplest way. "doubled" is the verb.

Hope this helps. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20705 [12]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
rohansherry wrote:

(C) more than doubled

Choice A is faulty because an adverb such as twice cannot function as an object of the preposition by.

B distorts the sentence’s meaning, stating that the number of engineering degrees conferred increased on more than two distinct occasions.

D’s passive verb was…doubled suggests without warrant that some unnamed agent increase the number of engineering degrees.

The past perfect tense in E, had… doubled, is inappropriate unless the increase in engineering degrees is specifically being viewed as having occurred further back in the past than some subsequent event.

Choice C is best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IE '22 (A)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos

(C) more than doubled

Answer- C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Kudos
hazelnut Vyshak egmat
I have a doubt in C as I rejected it because I thought doubled is modifier here since the number is not doer of the action double
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [4]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
teaserbae wrote:
I have a doubt in C as I rejected it because I thought doubled is modifier here since the number is not doer of the action double

Hi teaserbae.

Actually, in the correct version, "number" is the subject, "doubled" is the main verb, and the number performed the action "doubled."

The relationship between the subject, "number," and the main verb, "doubled," is easier to see in an abridged version of the sentence.

The number of undergraduate degrees ... doubled from 1978 to 1985.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Strategy, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q50 V23
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja can you please explain why D is wrong. Is it because of conscion ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [4]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos