Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 184
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The number of vehicles on the road classified as "light trucks" in the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
A revisit to the functions and forms of various verbs may help to resolve the confusion.

1. Action verb--- Somebody does something and puts up some effort to do it. --- EX: Jack and Jill danced all day long

2. Linking verb: A verb that connects the subject with the predicate. It is called status verb, extant verb because it just indicates a status.

EX: Jack & Jill appear nervous. Here Jack and Jill do not do the action of appearing nervous.

3. Helping verb: This verb cannot act independently. It always combines with another verb to complete the meaning. Is, are, am, do, does, has, have, and being etc are few of the helping verbs etc

EX: Jack has been struggling with GMAT for nearly two years as he is finding the verbal tough.
In between, you will find that some verbs are both action and linking verbs. Examples of such dual verbs are:

EX: 1. appear 2.become 3.feel 4.grow5.look 6.remain 7.seen 8.smell 9.sound 10. stay 11. taste 12. turn 13. prove and some more.

EX: The musician increased the tempo in the last stage of the song.-- active voice.

The tempo of the music increased in the last stages. This verb has no doer, and it is a linking verb in the context.

EX: The ambient temperature increased from25 degrees to 35 degrees.

Take away: Do not expect a doer for every verb.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Re: The number of vehicles on the road classified as "light trucks" in the [#permalink]
Official explanation from veritas:

Explanation: In answer choice A, "twice," an adverb, is incorrectly used as the object of the preposition "by." Answer choice B introduces ambiguity by implying that the number of vehicles increased on more than two separate occasions, which does not make very much sense. Answer choice D uses the passive voice and suggests some unnamed agent (who did the doubling.) Answer choice E incorrectly uses the past perfect tense (had). "Had" is only used when verbs within the same sentence refer to different time periods. Because there is only one verb in this sentence, there is no use for the verb "had." The correct answer choice is C, which succinctly expresses the growth.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
The number of vehicles on the road classified as "light trucks" in the [#permalink]
AVRonaldo wrote:
The number of vehicles on the road classified as "light trucks" in the United States increased by more than twice from 1980 to 1992.

(A) increased by more than twice

(B) increased more than two times

(C) more than doubled

(D) was more than doubled

(E) had more than doubled

VeritasKarishma chetan2u sayantanc2k
Can you please explain how doubled can be verb here ?
IMO the number cannot double itself so I thought D should be correct .
Can you please breif where I went wrong
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31922 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
teaserbae wrote:
AVRonaldo wrote:
The number of vehicles on the road classified as "light trucks" in the United States increased by more than twice from 1980 to 1992.

(C) more than doubled

Let me break down the sentence for you..

The number of vehicles -> NOUN-
on the road -> prepositional phrase
-classified as "light trucks" in the United States ->Modifier
more than -> Adverb
doubled -> Verb
from 1980 to 1992.

Let us remove unwanted phrases and deal with subject and verb..
The number of vehicles DOUBLED from 1980 to 1992.
now let us add the adverb - The number of vehicles MORE THAN DOUBLED from 1980 to 1992.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
teaserbae wrote:
AVRonaldo wrote:

(C) more than doubled

Let me break down the sentence for you..

The number of vehicles -> NOUN-
on the road -> prepositional phrase
-classified as "light trucks" in the United States ->Modifier
more than -> Adverb
doubled -> Verb
from 1980 to 1992.

Let us remove unwanted phrases and deal with subject and verb..
The number of vehicles DOUBLED from 1980 to 1992.
now let us add the adverb - The number of vehicles MORE THAN DOUBLED from 1980 to 1992.

Thanks for your reply
Secondly shouldn't subject should be doer of the action verb ?
here subject is the number of vehicles
verb doubled
But the number didn't double itself so how come it is verb ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
daagh wrote:
A revisit to the functions and forms of various verbs may help to resolve the confusion.

1. Action verb--- Somebody does something and puts up some effort to do it. --- EX: Jack and Jill danced all day long

2. Linking verb: A verb that connects the subject with the predicate. It is called status verb, extant verb because it just indicates a status.

EX: Jack & Jill appear nervous. Here Jack and Jill do not do the action of appearing nervous.

3. Helping verb: This verb cannot act independently. It always combines with another verb to complete the meaning. Is, are, am, do, does, has, have, and being etc are few of the helping verbs etc

EX: Jack has been struggling with GMAT for nearly two years as he is finding the verbal tough.
In between, you will find that some verbs are both action and linking verbs. Examples of such dual verbs are:

EX: 1. appear 2.become 3.feel 4.grow5.look 6.remain 7.seen 8.smell 9.sound 10. stay 11. taste 12. turn 13. prove and some more.

EX: The musician increased the tempo in the last stage of the song.-- active voice.

The tempo of the music increased in the last stages. This verb has no doer, and it is a linking verb in the context.

EX: The ambient temperature increased from25 degrees to 35 degrees.

Take away: Do not expect a doer for every verb.

Hey daagh how we will differentiate between a verbed modifier and status verb ?
In the EX The tempo of the music increased in the last stages , increased can be assumed as verbed modifier then there is no actual verb in the sentence
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
teaser

1. It will be easy to fall into the verb trap if you do not follow the word's implication threadbare.

2. If there is a subject of the Ed word, then it will be only a verb and not a modifier. If it is a modifier, then a comma from the subject should have separated the 'Ed'. Here in the given case, the tempo increased and therefore it is certainly a verb and not a modifier. Whether it is a status verb or an action verb is the next point.

Therefore, there is no way that 'increased' can act as a modifier in the given example.

3. Please go into the aspect of various types of verbs by googling. There are some verbs, which are both action and status verbs.
Status verbs emanate from within while action verbs require some effort. For example,

1. Appear ---- The witness appeared (status) nervous when he appeared (action) in the court

2. Feel ---- He felt(S) excited when he felt the soft touch of his newly born baby.

3. Grow --- The plant grew luxuriantly when the experienced gardener grew in his backyard.

4. Look -- When we looked (A) at the distant mountains from the window of our hotel, they all looked(S) verdant.

5. Remain --- He remained(S) calm as he remained (A) waiting for the exam results.

6. Smell --- The jasmine flower smelt(S) strong as I smelt (A) it form closeby.

7 Sound ---- The alarm sounded(S) ominous, as the siren sounded (A) loud from the lighthouse top.

8. Taste -- The Mulgoba mangoes from Salem, India tasted(S) sweet when I tasted (A) them along with my family

9. Double: The gas doubled(S) its volume when Tom doubled (A) the electricity input into the apparatus.

You can see that some verbs are both status and action verbs. You must study the context to distinguish whether the result is due to an effort or is from within.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
The number of vehicles on the road classified as "light trucks" in the [#permalink]
sayantanc2k wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:
raunvivek wrote:
This is how i arrived at option C.

(A) increased by more than twice [Use of increased and more is redundant.]

(B) increased more than two times [same as option A]

(C) more than doubled [Correct and most logical answer of all]

(D) was more than doubled [incorrect]

(E) had more than doubled [use of had is not required]

Dear experts,

Please confirm if the use of increase and more is redundant in option A & B

Actually "increased" should be followed by an absolute number, not a multiplier. Therefore even if one says "increased by double", the sentence would be wrong.

However assuming that you ignore the above mistake, then "increase" and "more" are not redundant. The word "increase" refers to the number of cars and the word "more" refers to the number 2; "number of cars" and "2" are two different items.

The phrase "increase by double" and "increase by more than double" are equally wrong. The latter is not more wrong because of any additional error of redundancy.

The number of vehicles on the road classified as "light trucks" in the United States more than doubled from 1980 to 1992.

Could you help me understanding this please? How can the sentence hold without a verb as double is not a verb in this sentence? I understand that GMAT does not prefer passive tense but why C is incorrect when increased by is implied?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 382
Schools: NUS '20
Send PM
GMATPill wrote:
Agree - except probably a typo - you drop B, instead of drop C.

If you really wanted to have an answer that begins with "increased by x..." -- a better choice would be to change it to "increased by more than two-fold" instead of "increased by more than twice" --- but of course simplest is always best if another simpler option exists (c).

where we can use two fold and where we can use twice?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM

(A) increased by more than twice -- 'by more than twice' is incorrect

(B) increased more than two times -- 'more than two times' is incorrect

(C) more than doubled

(D) was more than doubled -- 'was' is incorrect. This sentence is comparing 'number' with doubled'

(E) had more than doubled - past perfect is incorrect. We're not comparing one past action with another past action here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Why is option A incorrect? Did not understand the concept of not to use an adverb after 'increased by'. Kindly explain the concept and reason for elimination for all the options.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
EducationAisle
Can you explain why option A is incorrect in detail?

Thanks
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
EducationAisle

Thanks

Hello krndatta,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, Option A is incorrect because the construction "increased by more than twice" fails to convey a coherent meaning; this construction does not answer the question "increased by more than twice of what?".

We hope this helps.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
EducationAisle

This post gives a good explanation.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts