Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 05 Aug 2015, 02:37
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The number of ways in which 3 paintings can be arranged in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1551
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 361 [0], given: 1

The number of ways in which 3 paintings can be arranged in [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2007, 11:04
This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

The number of ways in which 3 paintings can be arranged in an exhibition from a set of five, such that one is always included.

Here, the answer is 36, but I don't have the explanation to this one. can someone show me? thanks
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2493
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 584 [0], given: 19

Re: combinations [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2007, 11:55
tarek99 wrote:
The number of ways in which 3 paintings can be arranged in an exhibition from a set of five, such that one is always included.

Here, the answer is 36, but I don't have the explanation to this one. can someone show me? thanks


= 1 x 4 x 3 x (3)
= 4x3x3
= 36
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 3574
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 424

Kudos [?]: 2304 [0], given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2007, 11:58
Expert's post
N=(5-1)C(3-1)*3P3=(4*3/2)*(3*2)=36
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2585
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 0

Re: combinations [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2007, 14:37
GMAT TIGER wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
The number of ways in which 3 paintings can be arranged in an exhibition from a set of five, such that one is always included.

Here, the answer is 36, but I don't have the explanation to this one. can someone show me? thanks


= 1 x 4 x 3 x (3)
= 4x3x3
= 36



Can you elaborate on this please?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2493
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 584 [0], given: 19

Re: combinations [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2007, 21:34
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
The number of ways in which 3 paintings can be arranged in an exhibition from a set of five, such that one is always included.

Here, the answer is 36, but I don't have the explanation to this one. can someone show me? thanks


= 1 x 4 x 3 x (3)
= 4x3x3
= 36



Can you elaborate on this please?


5 paintings: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.
three places: A B C

lets chose 1 that always included.

suppose 1 at place A = 1x4x3
suppose 1 at place B = 4x1x3
suppose 1 at place C = 4x3x1

so total = (1x4x3) + (4x1x3) + (4x3x1) = 1x4x3 (3) = 36
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2760
Location: New York City
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 403 [0], given: 4

 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2007, 21:39
walker wrote:
N=(5-1)C(3-1)*3P3=(4*3/2)*(3*2)=36


if one is always included, 5C3 becomes 4C2.

4C2 = 4!/2!2! = 4*3/2 = 6

arrangements of 3 items = 3!

3! * 6 = 36
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 233
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 00:22
A B C

1 is always included:

4C2 * 3! (3! 'cause order does not matter)
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1551
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 361 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 00:58
thanks guys. but i have a question. what are you logically doing when you multiply 6 by 3!? i don't understand the exact function of the 3! sometimes i see people divide the final number by a factorial and then sometimes i see people multiply. what are we logically doing when we do that? can someone explain?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 233
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 02:09
tarek99 wrote:
thanks guys. but i have a question. what are you logically doing when you multiply 6 by 3!? i don't understand the exact function of the 3! sometimes i see people divide the final number by a factorial and then sometimes i see people multiply. what are we logically doing when we do that? can someone explain?


The logic here is that, basically, we have 3 chairs where we should put 3 apples (A, B or C). What is the number of such combinations?
1st place: we could put any of 3 apples (A or B or C). We put A (but we could place B or C <-- order does not matter)
2nd place: we left with 2 apples (B or C) - so we put B (but we could put C)
3rd place - we left with only 1 apple

ABC
ACB
BAC
BCB
CAB
CBA

Total number of combinations is 3 * 2 * 1 = 3! = 6

But factorial is easy, try to place 4 apples on for chairs. Hope this helps.

P.S> If order matters, i.e. we need apple A on the first chair, the number of combinations would be: 1(A) * 2 (B or C) * 1 (the one that left after B or C)
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2760
Location: New York City
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 403 [0], given: 4

 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2007, 12:37
tarek99 wrote:
thanks guys. but i have a question. what are you logically doing when you multiply 6 by 3!? i don't understand the exact function of the 3! sometimes i see people divide the final number by a factorial and then sometimes i see people multiply. what are we logically doing when we do that? can someone explain?


3! implies 3*2*1. This means that we are arranging items (there is a sharp diference between arranging and selecting). we can have 3 items in the first slot, 2 items in the second and only 1 item in the last slot.

you need to look at the formula for combinations and permutations. look at the combination formula. then look at the permuation formula.

the perm formula does not have r!. dividing by r! removes the items that are arranged.
  [#permalink] 18 Dec 2007, 12:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The number of ways in which 3 paintings can be arranged in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.