Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The odds are about 4 to 1 against surviving a takeover

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 100

The odds are about 4 to 1 against surviving a takeover [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 01:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

63% (02:14) correct 38% (01:24) wrong based on 38 sessions
The odds are about 4 to 1 against surviving a takeover offer, and many business consultants therefore advise that a company’s first line of defense in eluding offers like these be to even refuse to take calls from likely corporate raiders.
(A) that a company’s first line of defense in eluding offers like these be to even refuse
(B) that a company’s first line of defense in eluding such offers be to refuse even
(C) a company defending itself against offers of this kind that, as a first line of defense, they should even refuse
(D) companies which are defending themselves against such an offer that, as a first line of defense, they should even refuse
(E) that the first line of defense for a company who is eluding offers like these is the refusal even

Reallynice question which I got wrong!Anyways
[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA:B
enjoy solving!

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: takeover offer-nice question. [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 04:43
b
coz here v need a connecter that ....... and v need such as to give example .. v cannot use like
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 21

Re: takeover offer-nice question. [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 05:52
A. 'these' is wrong. No referent for the pronoun. 'even refuse' is also awkward.

B. Correct.

C. Wordy Construction.

D. It talks about all companies in general & not the specific company, as in question.

E. Again 'these'. 'refusal' makes the whole construction odd.

I am ready to fall, but not before I fly.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 23

Re: takeover offer-nice question. [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 10:35
alpeshvc wrote:
A. 'these' is wrong. No referent for the pronoun. 'even refuse' is also awkward.

D. It talks about all companies in general & not the specific company, as in question.

I don't see any specific company in the question.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU, NUS, ISB, DUKE, ROSS, DARDEN
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 150 [1] , given: 17

Re: takeover offer-nice question. [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 11:12
This post received
KUDOS
tejal777 wrote:
The odds are about 4 to 1 against surviving a takeover offer, and many business consultants therefore advise that a company’s first line of defense in eluding offers like these be to even refuse to take calls from likely corporate raiders.
(A) that a company’s first line of defense in eluding offers like these be to even refuse
(B) that a company’s first line of defense in eluding such offers be to refuse even
(C) a company defending itself against offers of this kind that, as a first line of defense, they should even refuse
(D) companies which are defending themselves against such an offer that, as a first line of defense, they should even refuse
(E) that the first line of defense for a company who is eluding offers like these is the refusal even

Reallynice question which I got wrong!Anyways
[Reveal] Spoiler:
enjoy solving!

A: It should be 'refuse even' and not 'even refuse.' Also it should be 'offers such as' and not 'offers like.'
B: Correct
C: 'Advise that' is the correct idiom. Also 'they' is being used for singular noun 'company'.
D: 'Advise that' is the correct idiom. Also it should be 'refuse even' and not 'even refuse.'
E: 'Company who' is wrong.

KUDOS me if I deserve it !! :)

My GMAT Debrief - 740 (Q50, V39) | My Test-Taking Strategies for GMAT | Sameer's SC Notes

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: takeover offer-nice question. [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 20:08
tejal777 wrote:
(A) that a company’s first line of defense in eluding offers like these be to even refuse ..like should not be used here..
(B) that a company’s first line of defense in eluding such offers be to refuse even ..correct
(C) a company defending itself against offers of this kind that, as a first line of defense, they should even refuse ..they pronoun reference..
(D) companies which are defending themselves against such an offer that, as a first line of defense, they should even refuse ..comma after that should not be used...
(E) that the first line of defense for a company who is eluding offers like these is the refusal even..like should not be used...

Really nice question which I got wrong!Anyways
[Reveal] Spoiler:
enjoy solving!

IMO B...
I also think think that teh subjunctive mood is tested here...thererfore ...that+ be form of verb is correct...

Last edited by age on 13 Aug 2009, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: takeover offer-nice question. [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 20:11
IMO B

this is an OG question I believe.
Have read somewhere that in GMAT SC, 'such' is better to use than 'like'
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 106

Re: takeover offer-nice question. [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 05:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
age wrote:

IMO B...
I also think think that teh subjunctive mood is tested here...thererfore ...that+ be form of verb is correct...

Agree! 'advice that' is in the list of subjunctive mood. :)

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

Re: takeover offer-nice question. [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 17:28

B is the answer. It's subjuntive mood, so advise should be followed by that. Such properly refers to a takeover.
Even is properly placed as long as the invinitive verb is not separated.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: takeover offer-nice question. [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 03:07
Regarding command subjunctive. From MGMAT SC pg 114 you can see that advice should always take the infinitive and never the THAT+be form. Can someone explain this to me ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: The odds are about 4 to 1 against surviving a takeover [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 10:27
“like” should be used to compare nouns
"these” no reference
“even” splits the infinitive and the preposition
"defending", "of this kind", and "defense"=> wordy
"they" pronoun reference
“which” should come with comma
"defending" and "defense"=> wordy
"a company" "who"
"like these" => problem (A)

This is how I eliminate A, C, D, and E. But I still don't understand "advise that...be to refuse". I was supposed to think after "advise that" is a clause and I found usages of "advise" on Macmillan dictionaries:

+ advise + object + infinitive
Ex: Her doctor advised her to rest
+ advise + object + that + clause
Ex: The bank advised us that we should increase our insurance cover
+ advise + that + clause
Ex: Experts advise that sunscreen should be reapplied on an hourly basis

Please explain how "advise that...be to refuse" works
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 333 [1] , given: 109

Re: The odds are about 4 to 1 against surviving a takeover [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 15:26
This post received
KUDOS
+1 B

It seems that "advise that" requires the subjunctive mood.
However, tinyturtle, it seems that the dictionary has a different opinion about it.

Could someone confirm that "advise" is a bossy verb that requires the subjunctive?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 241 [2] , given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The odds are about 4 to 1 against surviving a takeover [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS

"offer" is mentioned in non-underlined part. "such offers" is correct. Eliminate choices contain "like" or "such an offer"

Moreover, advice that is subjunctive mood. So verb "to be" is always "be" after "that"

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Re: The odds are about 4 to 1 against surviving a takeover [#permalink] New post 07 May 2014, 17:45
In option B, "be to refuse even" does not sound right. Can anyone explain the idiom or grammar?
Re: The odds are about 4 to 1 against surviving a takeover   [#permalink] 07 May 2014, 17:45