Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Official Guide Questions = Real GMAT Questions ???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

The Official Guide Questions = Real GMAT Questions ??? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2004, 07:31
Can somebody kindly help me out on this ?

How similar are the questions in the REAL GMAT as compared to The Official Guide ?

I have been practicing on The Princeton Review CD as well. One observation I was able to make out was the fact that the Questions in OG, no matter how easy or difficult they might be, always have ONE perfect answer and with enough time and preparation one can eliminate the wrong answers.

On the other hand, a lot of the answers to questions on The Princeton Review seem so subtle in difference that sometime it gets difficult to select the right one out.

Now are the questions on the REAL GMAT similar to OG or are they more like PR ?

Thanks ,
Hoping for a prompt reply
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2004, 07:45
ETS has a remarkable tradition of devising questions that are impossible to dispute once you know the answer

OG questions were used in real GMAT, you can actually find some of these questions in ETS Paper GMAT that has recently been made public
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2004, 09:19
Official Guide 9th ed. p.9

"All questions used to illustrate the various types of verbal and mathematical multiple-choice questions are taken from actual editions of the GMAT administered from June 1990 and January 1997."

Of course, these questions appeared on the paper-based GMAT.

For all of its critics, ETS really does know how to write strong questions that are hard for others to duplicate.

Hjort
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2004, 10:59
First of all thank you all for answering my queries.

I have heard from people who have taken GMAT recently that the questions have become somewhat different from the OG, 10th Edition.

And when I say different, I mean a lot tougher and having answers that are very subtle in difference, which are some of the characteristics of The Princeton Reviews.

Is the observation true, do any of you feel the same ? I just need a clearer and mass picture as opposed to an exception.

Thanks,
Hoping for a prompt reply
Manager
Manager

Some more Queries [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2004, 11:11
Sorry I missed some information in my previous message.

I have been actively studying the OG and The Princeton Reviews. Infact I have started on the OG the THIRD time. Currently with Princeton Reviews I am doing the drills on the CD and would repeat them too before I take some PRACTICE TESTS. I am thinking of taking the REAL GMAT in November, 2004.

Like I said I do notice differences in VERBAL Section in the two books and their CDs respectively. MATH seems to be OK as I can't really see lot of differences. What my worry is that which kind of VERBAL questions will I be seeing on the REAL GMAT ?
OG-Type or PR-Type ??

I am aiming at around 700, and I understand there are experimental questions as well, but how many can you really get wrong and still get a score of 700 ?
Some more Queries   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2004, 11:11