Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The only plants in the garden were tulips, but they were

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

The only plants in the garden were tulips, but they were [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 11:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The only plants in the garden were tulips, but they were tall tulips. So the only plants in the garden were tall plants.

Which one of the following exhibits faulty reasoning most similar to the faulty reasoning in the argument above?

(A) The only dogs in the show were poodles and they were all black poodles. So all the dogs in the show were black.
(B) All the buildings on the block were tall. The only buildings on the block were office buildings and residential towers. So all the office buildings on the block were tall buildings.
(C) All the primates in the zoo were gorillas. The only gorillas in the zoo were small gorillas. Thus the only primates in the zoo were small primates.
(D) The only fruit in the kitchen was pears but the pears were not ripe. Thus none of the fruit in the kitchen was ripe.
(E) All the grand pianos here are large. All the grand pianos here are heavy. Thus everything large is heavy.
Manager
Manager

Re: CR: Tulips [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 11:58
Firstly, I couldn't figure out the faulty reasoning ...
Please help.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Tulips [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 12:35
Confusing one ....

The only faulty reasoning i could find was if we consider "tall tulips" as a varity of tulips. So when it says that all are "tall tulips" its meant that all of them belong to a type. and the conclusion is that the plants are actually tall....

If this is what question meant, then A should be the answer... is OA A ?
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: CR: Tulips [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 13:18
gmatcrook wrote:
Firstly, I couldn't figure out the faulty reasoning ...
Please help.

The only plants in the garden were tulips, but they were tall tulips. So the only plants in the garden were tall plants.

Plants
Flowers- tulips
tulips are tall

plants are tall
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 705 [1] , given: 3

Re: CR: Tulips [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 13:55
This post received
KUDOS
Just because a tulip is tall for a tulip doesn't mean it's tall for a plant. Trees are pretty tall. So that's the flaw in the reasoning. If you look at C, and replace 'primate' with 'plant', 'zoo' with 'garden', 'gorilla' with 'tulip' and 'small' with 'tall', it says the same thing as the question.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Tulips [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 15:39
i'd go with C..though A looked appealing too..

i think the key word is ONLY..C mirrors it best
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: CR: Tulips [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2008, 08:23
I pick C

The only plants in the garden were tulips, but they were tall tulips. So the only plants in the garden were tall plants

only Plants -> Tulip plants -> tall tulips
=> only Plants -> Tall plants

Tall- The characteristic of tulips(set1) is applied to plants(set2)

2things:
1. Characteristics of one set1 is applied to set2.
2. sets are of different type

(A) The only dogs in the show were poodles and they were all black poodles. So all the dogs in the show were black.
only dogs -> poodles -> black
=>only dogs ->black

The characteristic is drawn between "dogs" and "type of dogs"

Nothing wrong with this logic.Though it follows a similar pattern we can eliminate this because the reasoning is not faulty.

(B) All the buildings on the block were tall. The only buildings on the block were office buildings and residential towers. So all the office buildings on the block were tall buildings.

->All the buildings on the block -> The only buildings on the block were office buildings and residential towers -???
=>all the office buildings on the block -> tall buildings.

No characteristic of "office buildings and residential towers" is associated with the (generic)buildings.

(C) All the primates in the zoo were gorillas. The only gorillas in the zoo were small gorillas. Thus the only primates in the zoo were small primates.
Primates -> gorilla ->small gorilla
=>primates -> small primates

Gorillas is a subset of Primates.Characteristic of Gorilla are applied to the bigger set(Primates)

(D) The only fruit in the kitchen was pears but the pears were not ripe. Thus none of the fruit in the kitchen was ripe.
>>>We can eliminate this because there is no subset.We are referring only to pears.

(E) All the grand pianos here are large. All the grand pianos here are heavy. Thus everything large is heavy.
>>>We can eliminate this because there is no subset.
Manager
Manager

Re: CR: Tulips [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2008, 09:42
The OA is C here..

I understood the flaw here. The correct deduction should have been:

The only plants in the garden were tulips, but they were tall tulips. So the only plants in the garden were tall tulips. (and not tall plants)

Thanks guys!
Re: CR: Tulips   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2008, 09:42