Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 23:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 100

The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 15:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (01:42) correct 28% (00:46) wrong based on 246 sessions
The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns.

(A) to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns

(B) if they are quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns to rot them

(C) for them to be processed quickly into juice concentrate before the fruit rots when warmer weather returns

(D) if the fruit is quickly processed into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns

(E) to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns and rots the fruit

Keep getting this one wrong:( Need detailed explanations..
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Last edited by fameatop on 03 Sep 2013, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
OA not Provided
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [2] , given: 5

Re: frozen citrus [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 20:08
This post received
KUDOS
tejal777 wrote:
The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns.

(A) to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns

(B) if they are quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns to rot them

(C) for them to be processed quickly into juice concentrate before the fruit rots when warmer weather returns

(D) if the fruit is quickly processed into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns

(E) to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns and rots the fruit

only E makes sense here.

A,B,C,D -> have Pronoun reference issues. Frozen Citrus is singluar, so you can't use "They, them when refering to Citrus)
C -> fruit rots wrong here. weather rots the fruit

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [1] , given: 19

Re: frozen citrus [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 20:13
This post received
KUDOS
tejal777 wrote:

Agree with E. The use of "them/they", which refer to "the growers", is wrong.
"It" is required to refer "frozen citrus".

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 13:36
Although I understood the reasoning behind POE of this answer choice, can anyone enlighten me by justifying the below explanation from OG12.

Parallelism requires that the same word forms
perform the same functions in the sentence. Here,
the linking verb is requires two infinitives: to
salvage … to process (or to have … processed).

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 612 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 13:48
TGC wrote:
Although I understood the reasoning behind POE of this answer choice, can anyone enlighten me by justifying the below explanation from OG12.

Rgds,
TGC!

LINKING VERBS acts as a parallelism marker.
LINKING VERBS: IS / AM / ARE / WAS /WERE...So structure before and after should be parallel.
there are few exception to this...refer parallelism chapter from MANHATTAN SC for exception.
OTHER LINKING VERBS: APPEAR / BECOME/FEEL /GROW/LOOK/REMAIN/REPRESENT /RESEMBLE/SEEM /SMELL/SOUND/STAY/TASTE /TURN.

one more feature of linking verbs is ..that ADJECTIVE and not ADVERB follow LINKING VERBS.
If you find adverbs modifying LINKING VERBS then that sentence is WRONG.

example:
AMY IS FEELING WELL ==>WELL : ADJECTIVE MODIFYING NOUN AMY
AMY WRITES WELL ==> WELL: ADVERB THAT MODIFIES THE VERB WRITES.

in this case IS ==> THIS IS ACTING AS PARALLELISM MARKER...so we need parallel structure before and after IS....HERE WE NEED INFINITIVES..

hope it helps.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 13:54
blueseas wrote:
TGC wrote:

Rgds,
TGC!

LINKING VERBS acts as a parallelism marker.
LINKING VERBS: IS / AM / ARE / WAS /WERE...So structure before and after should be parallel.
there are few exception to this...refer parallelism chapter from MANHATTAN SC for exception.
OTHER LINKING VERBS: APPEAR / BECOME/FEEL /GROW/LOOK/REMAIN/REPRESENT /RESEMBLE/SEEM /SMELL/SOUND/STAY/TASTE /TURN.

one more feature of linking verbs is ..that ADJECTIVE and not ADVERB follow LINKING VERBS.
If you find adverbs modifying LINKING VERBS then that sentence is WRONG.

example:
AMY IS FEELING WELL ==>WELL : ADJECTIVE MODIFYING NOUN AMY
AMY WRITES WELL ==> WELL: ADVERB THAT MODIFIES THE VERB WRITES.

in this case IS ==> THIS IS ACTING AS PARALLELISM MARKER...so we need parallel structure before and after IS....HERE WE NEED INFINITIVES..

hope it helps.

I presume you gave me theory when I asked a doubt pertaining to a specific question.

Again from MGMAT SC guide only , it states that SUBJECT and OBJECT must be || when linking verb is involved.

Here SUBJECT is : WAY
Object is :to process them quickly into juice concentrate

Please advise

Rgds,
TGC !

Rgds,
TGC!

Current Student

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 14:09
TGC wrote:

I presume you gave me theory when I asked a doubt pertaining to a specific question.

Again from MGMAT SC guide only , it states that SUBJECT and OBJECT must be || when linking verb is involved.

Please advise

Rgds,
TGC !

NO THAT IS NOT TRUE.

it is not necessary that you need to make parallel subject and object ONLY.
But rather you just need to make both sides of linking verb parallel.
the particular example you are pointing.
The bouquet of flowers WAS a gift of love.==>here there is nothing else to make parallel...so you are making subject and object parallel.

so just keep in mind that you need to make parallel whatever is before and after...
if there is only subject and object==>make them parallel.
if we have infinitive then make infinitives parallel.
if we have -ing form parallel..make them parallel.

take this example:
According to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu religions, attaining nirvana is to enter a state of supreme liberation, leaving behind the desires that perpetuate the cycle of death and rebirth.

(A) attaining nirvana is to enter
(B) to attain nirvana is entering
(C) to attain nirvana is
(D) to attain nirvana is to enter
(E) attaining nirvana is to be entering

according-to-the-teachings-of-the-buddhist-and-hindu-81335.html#p610395
here we are checking either both -ing form or both infinitive form....but we dont have -ing form ...so thats why option D is CORRECT.

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 14:14
blueseas wrote:
TGC wrote:

Please advise

Rgds,
TGC !

NO THAT IS NOT TRUE.

it is not necessary that you need to make parallel subject and object ONLY.
But rather you just need to make both sides of linking verb parallel.
the particular example you are pointing.
The bouquet of flowers WAS a gift of love.==>here there is nothing else to make parallel...so you are making subject and object parallel.

so just keep in mind that you need to make parallel whatever is before and after...
if there is only subject and object==>make them parallel.
if we have infinitive then make infinitives parallel.
if we have -ing form parallel..make them parallel.

take this example:
According to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu religions, attaining nirvana is to enter a state of supreme liberation, leaving behind the desires that perpetuate the cycle of death and rebirth.

(A) attaining nirvana is to enter
(B) to attain nirvana is entering
(C) to attain nirvana is
(D) to attain nirvana is to enter
(E) attaining nirvana is to be entering

according-to-the-teachings-of-the-buddhist-and-hindu-81335.html#p610395
here we are checking either both -ing form or both infinitive form....but we dont have -ing form ...so thats why option D is CORRECT.

hope it helps

Quoted from MGMAT Guide
"Treat any linking verb as a parallel marker. Make the subject and the object parallel."

In your example
Subject = Attaining Nirvana
Object = To enter

So the theory applies.

Can you please advise on the question which is stated on this thread without giving any other examples.

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Current Student

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 14:29
TGC wrote:

Quoted from MGMAT Guide
"Treat any linking verb as a parallel marker. Make the subject and the object parallel."

In your example
Subject = Attaining Nirvana
Object = To enter

So the theory applies.

Can you please advise on the question which is stated on this thread without giving any other examples.

Rgds,
TGC!

ok..lets see this:

THE ONLY WAY TO SALVAGE : ==>SUBJECT IS TO PROCESS...

subject is whole phrase THE ONLY WAY TO SALVAGE...

makes sense... :)

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 239 [1] , given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 22:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Folks,

To add to my query, I want to ask that if I change option (E). as shown below will it be correct.

Original (E) to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns and rots the fruit
Altered (E) to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns and rots IT.

Plz advise

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 250

CAT Tests
Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2013, 22:58
Frozen Citrus is singular so it is the correct Pronoun, E is the only viable option.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 130

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 08:36
tejal777 wrote:

Hi,I understand that pronoun it refers to the noun in the infinitive to frozen citrus,but what is the main subject & its object here.
Can sentence have it main subject in infinitive construction?
or is it the phrase "The only way....citrus" the subject of the sentence?
and if the phrase is the subject of the sentence ,then pronoun antecedent can exist in subject phrase?
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3670 [0], given: 185

Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 13:47
Expert's post
abid1986 wrote:

Hi,I understand that pronoun it refers to the noun in the infinitive to frozen citrus,but what is the main subject & its object here.
Can sentence have it main subject in infinitive construction?
or is it the phrase "The only way....citrus" the subject of the sentence?
and if the phrase is the subject of the sentence ,then pronoun antecedent can exist in subject phrase?

Hi Abid,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

In this official sentence, The Subject of the main clause is "The only way" and the Verb is "is".

Now the antecedent of a pronoun can be in any part of the sentence. There is no rule for the placement of a the antecedent of a pronoun. The most important thing to keep in mind about pronouns is that they must refer to a logical antecedent. Now this antecedent can be placed anywhere in the sentence. Please go through the following article for more details on the usage of pronouns:

pronouns-debunking-popular-myths-intro-160811.html

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT Date: 05-28-2014
GPA: 3.9
WE: Consulting (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to [#permalink] New post 18 May 2014, 06:26
Hi,

I agree with all said before- the only thing which confused me is this part in E : "to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns and rots the fruit".

In my opinion (I am not a native) this is illogical, due to the fact that not the weather rots the fruits, but the chemicals and the caused chemical reaction does. To me E therefore appeared as the wrong choice.

Regards,
holdem
Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to   [#permalink] 18 May 2014, 06:26