Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3284 [46]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: University of Dhaka - Class of 2010
GPA: 3.63
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [11]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [7]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [5]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: The organic food industry has organized a successful grassro [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
scofield1521 wrote:
I chose D but that is wrong. Is it ok to use has twice in a sentence, as in the OA?
The organic food industry has........that has convinced....!!
Please explain!!

Hello scofield1521

The structure of of the sentence is: The organic food industry has organized campaign -............- that has convinced government......

The part between the two dashes is just modifier, so "that" modifies "campaign". Thus, the second "has" agrees with "campaign" not the main subject - the organic industry.

In addition, D is wrong because:

1. Verb tense. Past simple tense does not match with present perfect tense "has organized" because the effect of the action, organizing, is still effective at present. If you use "convinced", you mean the action is done, but it's not the intended meaning.

2. Too wordy. Clearly, "by using X, Y, and Z" is much better than "by the use of X, Y as well as Z".

Hope it helps.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sahilmshah92 wrote:
I've a doubt. Would be helpful if someone could answer it for me.

I eliminated (A) because I thought "that" in this sentence refers to the closest noun, (i.e.) mass mailings.

Can "that" jump over a modifying phrase separated by commas to refer a far away noun? If yes, why can't "which" follow the same rule?

When you have a portion separated by two dashes, consider as though that portion does not exist at all in the sentence. Thus the modifier touch rule remains valid in this case: "that" touches "campaign" (since you have to consider that the part "—using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—" does not exist).

The same is applicable for "which" as well.
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I chose D but that is wrong. Is it ok to use has twice in a sentence, as in the OA?
Please explain!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Kudos
monirjewel wrote:
The organic food industry has organized a successful grassroots campaign—using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—that have convinced the Department of Agriculture to change the proposed federal regulations for organically grown food.

(A) using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—that have convinced

(B) using Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—that has convinced

(C) by using Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—in convincing

(D) by the use of Web sites, public meetings, as well as mass mailings—that convinced

(E) which used Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—in convincing

I want to say about a problem on SC.

normally gmat test us meaning and logic. this mean we are faced with 2 meanings, one logic and another not logic.

for easy problem, one of the two meaning is not logic clearly, and we can safely eliminate the illogical meaning

but for some problems, we see that both meanings are logic. but, of course, there is only one intended meaning. how do we do?

if this case happen, we have to use intuition to realize that one meaning is more reasonable and other meaning is less reasonable. in other words, the illogical meaning is less clear and we have to use intuition to realize. this job is hard at home and harder in the test room. I call this LESS REASONABLE MEANING

the key to success on this problem is to realize that "in convincing" modifying the main clause is LESS REASONABLE than "that have convinced" which modifies "compains".

I use the words LESS REASONABLE meaning to differentiate this case from the illogical meaning,which is very easy to realize.

for me, and possibly for many other non natives, the meaning of "in convincing" in choice c and e is not illogical but if we face two meaning, the meaning of "that have convinced" is more reasonable.

am i correct? pls, comment. thank you
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:
Whether either of the two or both the sentences are correct in GMAT:

1. Sam, Peter, and also John went to the market.
2. Sam, Peter, and as well as John went to the market.

Could you please confirm the same. There seems to be a confusion around it.

AndrewN
VeritasKarishma
AjiteshArun

Hello, abhishekmayank. Neither sentence above shows a streamlined way of expressing the vital meaning of the sentence. In both cases, you would want, A, B, and C went [somewhere]. Of the two, the second is flat-out wrong: and as well as is redundant. One or the other would do. In either sentence, though, A and B could be seen as the main figures performing some action, with C kind of tagging along, almost as an afterthought. You could encounter two legitimate sentences that would read:

1) Sam and Peter, and also John, went to the market.
2) Sam and Peter, as well as John, went to the market.

That said, there would be no reason for a GMAT™ SC question to test this sort of meaning, and I would expect to see a straightforward A, B, and C in the correct answer. Finally, as well as is not a substitute for and, so in the question at hand, for reasons outlined above, (A) and (D) should be easy eliminations.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
pqhai wrote:
scofield1521 wrote:
Please explain!!

Hello scofield1521

The structure of of the sentence is: The organic food industry has organized campaign -............- that has convinced government......

The part between the two dashes is just modifier, so "that" modifies "campaign". Thus, the second "has" agrees with "campaign" not the main subject - the organic industry.

In addition, D is wrong because:

1. Verb tense. Past simple tense does not match with present perfect tense "has organized" because the effect of the action, organizing, is still effective at present. If you use "convinced", you mean the action is done, but it's not the intended meaning.

2. Too wordy. Clearly, "by using X, Y, and Z" is much better than "by the use of X, Y as well as Z".

Hope it helps.

Thanks pqhai,
Now makes sense. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Schulich '16
Send PM
B.

A is out coz of S/V agreement

That here is a restrictive clause here which is needed to explain that the campaign helped to changed he regulation.

Plus after the - a,b,and c is much better than a,b,as well as c
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM

I eliminated (A) because I thought "that" in this sentence refers to the closest noun, (i.e.) mass mailings.

Can "that" jump over a modifying phrase separated by commas to refer a far away noun? If yes, why can't "which" follow the same rule?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
sahilmshah92 wrote:

When you have a portion separated by two dashes, consider as though that portion does not exist at all in the sentence. Thus the modifier touch rule remains valid in this case: "that" touches "campaign" (since you have to consider that the part "—using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—" does not exist).

The same is applicable for "which" as well.

In that case could you please help me in understanding the below official question.
In option (A), shouldn't "which" skip the phrase separated by the commas and refer to "weather"? The reason I'm asking this is because in the official solution it says that in option (A) "which" awkwardly seems to refer "regions".

Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather, colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture.

A. colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed
B. which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing
C. since it was colder and wetter than usually in some regions, which slowed
D. being colder and wetter than usually in some regions, slowing
E. having been colder and wetter than was usual in some regions and slowed
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Skywalker18 wrote:
The organic food industry has organized a successful grassroots campaign—using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—that have convinced the Department of Agriculture to change the proposed federal regulations for organically grown food.

A. using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—that have convinced -- subject-verb agreement -- campaign have
B. using Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—that has convinced - Correct
C. by using Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—in convincing
D. by the use of Web sites, public meetings, as well as mass mailings—that convinced -- the construction "X, Y, as well as Z" simply doesn't exist.
another way to figure out that this is wrong is to realize that "as well as ..." is a MODIFIER, and thus can be stricken from the sentence without affecting the surrounding grammar.
that's problematic: if you strike "as well as mass mailings" from (d), you get remaining words that clearly don't work.

E. which used Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—in convincing -- incorrect verb tense. "which used" (simple past tense) shouldn't be in a tense occurring prior to "has organized" (present perfect). this construction mistakenly suggests that the campaign "used X, Y, and Z" before it was even organized in the first place.

the problem with (c) is NOT grammatical; the grammar of (c) is just fine.
the problem with (c) is that it uses two different transitions incorrectly.

* if you say "subject + clause + BY VERBing", then "by VERBing" must explain HOW the main clause occurred.
e.g.
i prepared for the test by reviewing takeaways on the MGMAT forums.
note that the boldface clause describes HOW i prepared for the test.

choice (c) means that using websites, etc. was how the industry organized the campaign -- in other words, they used the websites and public meetings to organize the campaign in the first place. that's an incorrect meaning.
(the campaign ITSELF used these things; the correct modifier in (a) and (b) shows that relationship.)

* if you say "subject + clause + IN VERBing", then subject + clause must be an ACTUAL PART of the action of VERBing.
e.g.
i solved all the problems in OG12 in preparing for the GMAT.
--> notice that solving the problems IS ACTUALLY PART OF preparing for the test.

choice (c) fails here, too, since organizing the campaign (the main clause) is not ACTUALLY PART OF convincing the government.

Answer B

Skywalker18 Good Explanation.

However its a good practice to mention the source from where you copied the post rather than passing it as your own.

The post is copied from - https(colon)//www(dot)manhattanprep(dot)com/gmat/forums/the-organic-food-industry-t6929(dot)html .
RonPurewal's post
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Could you please explain why C in incorrect?

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.95
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Quote:

B. using Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—that has convinced - Correct
C. by using Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—in convincing

Answer B

I feel C's language like both actions are happening simultaneously -

The organic food industry has organized a successful grassroots campaign— by using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—while convincing the Department of Agriculture to change the proposed federal regulations for organically grown food.

Yes - Please explain why C is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
The organic food industry has organized a successful grassro [#permalink]

AndrewN
VeritasKarishma
AjiteshArun
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
abhishekmayank wrote:

AndrewN
VeritasKarishma
AjiteshArun

Hello, abhishekmayank. Neither sentence above shows a streamlined way of expressing the vital meaning of the sentence. In both cases, you would want, A, B, and C went [somewhere]. Of the two, the second is flat-out wrong: and as well as is redundant. One or the other would do. In either sentence, though, A and B could be seen as the main figures performing some action, with C kind of tagging along, almost as an afterthought. You could encounter two legitimate sentences that would read:

1) Sam and Peter, and also John, went to the market.
2) Sam and Peter, as well as John, went to the market.

That said, there would be no reason for a GMAT™ SC question to test this sort of meaning, and I would expect to see a straightforward A, B, and C in the correct answer. Finally, as well as is not a substitute for and, so in the question at hand, for reasons outlined above, (A) and (D) should be easy eliminations.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew

Thanks indeed for your clarification !!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts