Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 59

Re: The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 21:31
The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had long been expected to announce a reduction in output to bolster sagging oil prices, but officials of the organization just recently announced that the group will pare daily production by 1.5 million barrels by the beginning of next year, but only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output by a total of 500,000 barrels a day.

A.year, but only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output
B.year, but only if the output of non-OPEC nations, which includes Norway, Mexico, and Russia, is trimmed
C.year only if the output of non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, would be trimmed
D.year only if non-OPEC nations, which includes Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were trimming output
E.year only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, trim output

POE:
1. use but or only if, otherwise using both will create redundant error.
so option A & B are out.
2. in if ... then(then is hidden in this structure) construction:
if..(followed by)simple present tense ---------------> then ....(followed by) either simple present or simple future
and vice versa is also true.
here then(hidden) is followed by simple future so if should be followed by simple present!!

Option C : the group will pare daily production .... if non-OPEC nations ..would be trimmed (break the rule)
Option D : the group will pare daily production .... if non-OPEC nations ..were trimming output(also break the rule)
Option E : the group will pare daily production .... if non-OPEC nations ..trim output

1 kudos if you like it!!

Remember that potential unused turns into pain. So dedicate yourself to expressing your best.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 10:16
duttsit wrote:
26. The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had long been expected to announce a reduction in output to bolster sagging oil prices, but officials of the organization just recently announced that the group will pare daily production by 1.5 million barrels by the beginning of next year, but only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output by a total of 500,000 barrels a day.

A.year, but only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output
B.year, but only if the output of non-OPEC nations, which includes Norway, Mexico, and Russia, is trimmed
C.year only if the output of non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, would be trimmed
D.year only if non-OPEC nations, which includes Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were trimming output
E.year only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, trim output

In option B and D
nations, which includes Norway, Mexico, and Russia
I think includes is incorrect . The correct verb should be include . Am I right?

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end -- Abraham Lincoln

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 07:30
duttsit wrote:
26. The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had long been expected to announce a reduction in output to bolster sagging oil prices, but officials of the organization just recently announced that the group will pare daily production by 1.5 million barrels by the beginning of next year, but only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output by a total of 500,000 barrels a day.

Tense..

All options but E have some other tense but simple present. Therefore, only E works, since it has "trim".
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.7
WE: Other (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 42

Re: SC: OPEC [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 09:31
soaringAlone wrote:
HIMALAYA wrote:
i guess this is a good question.

A/B are out since they are run-on.
C is in passive and D is unclear.
E is direct and clear.

Can you please explain how A and B are run on ?

I also have the same doubt. How are these two sentences run-on?

Two independent clauses can be connected by FANBOYS and these two sentences are connected by "BUT". So I thought they are perfectly fine from this perspective. Can some one please explain why these are run-on sentences?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT Date: 06-24-2013

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2014, 10:09
The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had long been expected to announce a reduction in output to bolster sagging oil prices, but officials of the organization just recently announced that the group will pare daily production by 1.5 million barrels by the beginning of next year, but only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output by a total of 500,000 barrels a day

A. year, but only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output
B. year, but only if the output of non-OPEC nations, which includes Norway, Mexico, and Russia, is trimmed
C. year only if the output of non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, would be trimmed
D. year only if non-OPEC nations, which includes Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were trimming output
E. year only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, trim output

As per the explanation given by OG, option B and C are wrong because of passive voice in the underlined portion doesn't state who would trim the prices.

As per my understanding of the meaning, it is not necessary to know the doer of trimming. So I would not have eliminated B and C on the grounds of meaning.

Instructor, please help me understand if option B and C distort the meaning.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA : E

Last edited by carcass on 09 Apr 2014, 12:31, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the title of the qeustion accordingly
Expert Post
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 2413 [0], given: 693

Re: The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2014, 12:32
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 360

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2014, 08:17
Have the same doubt as Mission2012 has above
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1263

Kudos [?]: 3511 [1] , given: 185

Re: The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 15:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Mission2012 wrote:
The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had long been expected to announce a reduction in output to bolster sagging oil prices, but officials of the organization just recently announced that the group will pare daily production by 1.5 million barrels by the beginning of next year, but only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output by a total of 500,000 barrels a day

A. year, but only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output
B. year, but only if the output of non-OPEC nations, which includes Norway, Mexico, and Russia, is trimmed
C. year only if the output of non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, would be trimmed
D. year only if non-OPEC nations, which includes Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were trimming output
E. year only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, trim output

As per the explanation given by OG, option B and C are wrong because of passive voice in the underlined portion doesn't state who would trim the prices.

As per my understanding of the meaning, it is not necessary to know the doer of trimming. So I would not have eliminated B and C on the grounds of meaning.

Instructor, please help me understand if option B and C distort the meaning.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA : E

Hi @Mission2012,

Thank you for articulating your question so well. Such good question posts help us identify the gaps in your understanding and that in turn helps you figure out where exactly you are going on.

Let's figure out what is happening with this question.

What is the meaning of the sentence?
Normally I would ask you to tell me the meaning of the sentence but in the essence of time let me give that to you:

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had long been expected to announce a reduction in output to bolster sagging oil prices, but officials of the organization just recently announced that the group will pare daily production by 1.5 million barrels by the beginning of next year, but only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output by a total of 500,000 barrels a day.

1: The OPEC was expected to announce reduction in output in order to increase sagging oil prices.
2: But it announced that it will reduce the production to a certain degree only if the non-OPEC nations trimmed their output as well.

So as you can see the action of OPEC nations is contingent upon the action taken by the non-OPEC nations. So clearly the action of trimming of output by a total of 500,000 barrels a day is something for which we need to explicitly know who the doer is. Just by saying that "the output of non-OPEC nations should be trimmed" does not tell us who actually will do this trimming.

I hope this explains why Choices B and C are incorrect.
So in a nutshell, it is very important to understand what the original sentence intends to communicate and then ensure that the correct choice maintains that meaning.

Happy preparation!
Payal

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 107

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2014, 09:49
Meaning
Although Opec had long been expected to announce reduction in output to bolster sagging oil prices, OPEC officials announced that they will reduce daily production by 1.5 million barrels by the beginning of next year. The condition for this reduction is that non-OPEC nations, including N,M and R trim their output by a total of 500,000 barrels per day

Error Analysis
Usage of “But” and “Only if” is redundant. Also the conditional tense usage If “present tense- Non Opec Were to trim-use of infinitive” then Future “OPEC Will pare” is not parallel. If”Present” Then “Future” is the correct structure. The use of infinitive is not parallel to verb.

POE
A.year, but only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output-Explained in error analysis
B.year, but only if the output of non-OPEC nations, which includes Norway, Mexico, and Russia, is trimmed- Redundancy error
C.year only if the output of non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, would be trimmed- Verb Tense error If”Would be trimmed” then”Will pare”. Will pare requires present tense in IF construction
D.year only if non-OPEC nations, which includes Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were trimming output- Same as C
E.year only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, trim output- Correct Choice

Cheers
Farhan

My Blog - Gladly Making an attempt today

INSEAD SEPT 2015 Intake Thread

2015 PROFILES W/ ADMIT/DINGS RESULTS!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: ISB '15, IIMA
GMAT Date: 09-29-2014
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 192

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2014, 02:24
The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)
had long been expected
to announce a reduction in output to bolster sagging oil prices, but
officials of the organization just recently announced that

the group will pare [Future]
daily production by 1.5 million barrels by the beginning of next year,
but only if
non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia,
were to trim output
by a total of 500,000 barrels a day.

A.year, but only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output [but / only if , both together not req.; were with will doesn't sound correct.]
B.year, but only if the output of non-OPEC nations, which includes Norway, Mexico, and Russia, is trimmed [but & only if together not req. Who will trim??]
C.year only if the output of non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, would be trimmed [who will trim? as per original sentence nON needs to do that]
D.year only if non-OPEC nations, which includes Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were trimming output [were trimming with will doesn't sound correct.]
E.year only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, trim output [Correct]

Conditional Sentence:
I will go only if he asks me- A and B out.
The group will pare dp only if nON trim output.

If you like my effort and feel like to appreciate it, please press Kudos.

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2014, 02:24