Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Clausesx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [4]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Re: The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had long been [#permalink]
AjiteshArun
Dear Arun,
could you elaborate, does this locution is indirect speech? If so, why the verb "will" in lieu of "would" is utilized?

officials of the organization just recently announced that the group will pare daily production by 1.5 million barrels

Thanks beforehand.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Re: The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had long been [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
BLTN wrote:
AjiteshArun
Dear Arun,
could you elaborate, does this locution is indirect speech? If so, why the verb "will" in lieu of "would" is utilized?

officials of the organization just recently announced that the group will pare daily production by 1.5 million barrels

Thanks beforehand.

Hi BLTN,

Yes, the author of this sentence wants to tell us what the officials of the organization said (the author also includes an if... (then)). As for your question, we don't always change tenses in such constructions. In this specific case, the time (the beginning of next year) helps us accept will, but more importantly, replacing will with would would lead to confusion, as test takers could interpret this as a hypothetical situation.

1. officials recently announced that the group would pare daily production by the beginning of next year, only if non-OPEC nations _______ (?)

This could be understood to mean that the officials don't actually believe that non-OPEC nations are going to reduce their output. The GMAT doesn't want to ask test takers to take a call on whether the officials intended to introduce a hypothetical, so the best thing to do here is to use a will.

2. officials recently announced that the group will pare daily production by the beginning of next year, only if non-OPEC nations trim output
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi mikemcgarry
A little confused about this bit - That first "but" (in the phrase "but officials of the organization ...") is a strong contrast, and without the end of the sentence, it doesn't make sense --- they were expected to cut output, and they announce they were cutting output --- what's the contrast? The contrast only makes sense if we place a condition in the next part of the sentence "only if"

Isn't the fact that this announcement was expected for some time but only happened recently enough of a contrast? Does it have to be followed by "only if"? If not, option A is only an awkward construction and not necessarily wrong. Am I wrong? This question is bothering me so much. :(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had long been [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Bibah,

There's no real difference between only if and but only if. Adding a but does add an additional word to the sentence though, and therefore only if is (slightly) better than but only if.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Can someone help me to understand if the phrase "is trimmed" a simple present tense verb ?

If option 'B' did not have its other errors, would the use of "is trimmed" correct ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PRNDL wrote:
Can someone help me to understand if the phrase "is trimmed" a simple present tense verb ?

If option 'B' did not have its other errors, would the use of "is trimmed" correct ?

Hi PRNDL,

Is trimmed is indeed in the present tense (passive). But because of the passive construction, B loses information about exactly who is supposed to trim the output of non-OPEC nations.

1. ... if the output of X, Y, and Z is trimmed... ← The use of the passive isn't preferred, and there's no by (the output of X, Y, and Z is trimmed by ABC), which leads of loss of meaning.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.98
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Mission2012 wrote:
The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had long been expected to announce a reduction in output to bolster sagging oil prices, but officials of the organization just recently announced that the group will pare daily production by 1.5 million barrels by the beginning of next year, but only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output by a total of 500,000 barrels a day

A. year, but only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output
B. year, but only if the output of non-OPEC nations, which includes Norway, Mexico, and Russia, is trimmed
C. year only if the output of non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, would be trimmed
D. year only if non-OPEC nations, which includes Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were trimming output
E. year only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, trim output

As per the explanation given by OG, option B and C are wrong because of passive voice in the underlined portion doesn't state who would trim the prices.

As per my understanding of the meaning, it is not necessary to know the doer of trimming. So I would not have eliminated B and C on the grounds of meaning.

Instructor, please help me understand if option B and C distort the meaning.

Hi @Mission2012,

Thank you for articulating your question so well. Such good question posts help us identify the gaps in your understanding and that in turn helps you figure out where exactly you are going on.

Let's figure out what is happening with this question.

What is the meaning of the sentence?
Normally I would ask you to tell me the meaning of the sentence but in the essence of time let me give that to you:

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had long been expected to announce a reduction in output to bolster sagging oil prices, but officials of the organization just recently announced that the group will pare daily production by 1.5 million barrels by the beginning of next year, but only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output by a total of 500,000 barrels a day.

1: The OPEC was expected to announce reduction in output in order to increase sagging oil prices.
2: But it announced that it will reduce the production to a certain degree only if the non-OPEC nations trimmed their output as well.

So as you can see the action of OPEC nations is contingent upon the action taken by the non-OPEC nations. So clearly the action of trimming of output by a total of 500,000 barrels a day is something for which we need to explicitly know who the doer is. Just by saying that "the output of non-OPEC nations should be trimmed" does not tell us who actually will do this trimming.

I hope this explains why Choices B and C are incorrect.
So in a nutshell, it is very important to understand what the original sentence intends to communicate and then ensure that the correct choice maintains that meaning.

Happy preparation!
Payal

I dont understand this. The action of OPEC nation is depended on trimming output of non_OPEC nations, irresctive of who does it right?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mbagoal123 wrote:
I dont understand this. The action of OPEC nation is depended on trimming output of non_OPEC nations, irresctive of who does it right?

Hi Mbagoal123,

If you're looking at the passive, although it's not an absolute error, there's no reason for us to hide the doer of the action in this case. That is, using is trimmed doesn't help us in any way.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
KarishmaB avigutman between but only if and only if , is there some reason for preference or both are equally acceptable?Also is there any redundancy ? egmat MartyTargetTestPrep
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
KarishmaB avigutman between but only if and only if , is there some reason for preference or both are equally acceptable?Also is there any redundancy ? egmat MartyTargetTestPrep

Hello Elite097,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, both phrases convey the same meaning; "but only if" can be used if one needs to convey a heightened sense of contrast, but in this case, it is definitely redundant, as "but" has already been used in the non-underlined part of the sentence.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
1) The usage of but in the start of the sentence is redundant , So eliminate A & B.
2) There are 3 possibilities for if clause
there are three possibilities of if clause...
type------------- if-clause ---------- main clause
1----------- Simple Present---------- will-future
2----------- Simple Past--------- would + infinitive
3----------- Past Perfect--------- would + have + past participle
Here it is simple present . So the answer is E
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Responding to this query by SanjayLoonker,

SanjayLoonker wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-organization-of-petroleum-exporting-countries-opec-had-long-been-24069.html#p159469

If the sentence has no conditionals in the later part of the sentence then can we use 'would' or do we still have to use 'will' ? asking because we use would to make future projections from past.

Kindly can you help ?

To answer your query, even without any conditionals in the latter part of the sentence, "will" is the appropriate verb form because the relevant action is not a prediction, it is a statement of intent.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Could someone tell me whether B and C are wrong for modifier reasons?

"output of non-opec nations, including Country X, Y, and Z")

Doesn't this wrongly imply that the countries are outputs of non-opec nations? Which is illogical. I eliminated them based on that. Was I wrong?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
(C) year only if the output of non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, would be trimmed

In option (C), is "including" modifying "output of non-OPEC nations" or "non-OPEC nations" ?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BingoBanguBongu Raghav9906

No, "including" does not have to refer to output. Generally, we don't want to read the sentence in a nonsensical way (output = countries) when a logical reading is available. If the sentence FORCES a nonsensical reading, that's when we cut. Here, "including" is right next to "nations," and that's the reading that makes sense, so we should read it as saying what the author clearly intended.

As for C, we can cut it because of "if . . . would." WOULD is used for the *outcome* of a conditional or hypothetical, not as the trigger. "If this happened, I would do that." "I would go IF I could."
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts