Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 09:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The output of a factory was increased by 10% to keep up with

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 2044 [0], given: 677

The output of a factory was increased by 10% to keep up with [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 12:39
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

38% (01:54) correct 62% (00:42) wrong based on 141 sessions
The output of a factory was increased by 10% to keep up with rising demand. To handle the holiday rush, this new output was increased by 20%. By approximately what percent would the output now have to be decreased in order to restore the original output?

A. 20%
B. 24%
C. 30%
D. 32%
E. 79%

This question is possible in the real gmat ?? what is the level ?? I guess sub 600 but for me is even more less. However, it is classified as upper medium level
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The output of a factory was increased by 10% to keep up with [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 19:39
The output of a factory was increased by 10% to keep up with rising demand. To handle the holiday rush, this new output was increased by 20%. By approximately what percent would the output now have to be decreased in order to restore the original output?

Let initial output is O then after 10% increase it will be 1.1O and after 20% increase on this new output the latest output will be 1.1O * 1.20 = 1.32O

Now we have to decrease the output by some percentage so that the new output is same as the starting output (O)

so, 1.32O * (1-x/100) = O

=> x = 24.24%

So, answer will be B

According to me its a 600-700 level question. And i guess it can come in gmat.

Hope it helps!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 474 [2] , given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: The output of a factory was increased by 10% to keep up with [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 23:32
This post received
KUDOS
carcass wrote:

20%
24%
30%
32%
79%

This question is possible in the real gmat ?? what is the level ?? I guess sub 600 but for me is even more less. However, it is classified as upper medium level

Assume that the output is 100. After the first increase, it is 110. 20% increase of 110 is 22, so the new output is 132 (10% of 110 is 11, so 20% is 2*11=22).
To restore the initial output of 100, we need to reduce the new output 132 by 32. This represents 32/132, which is close but a little bit less than to 32/128 =25%.

Answer B.

Maybe the statistics show that people don't like so much % questions and/or they are not so good at them.

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Expert Post
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 2044 [0], given: 677

Re: The output of a factory was increased by 10% to keep up with [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 01:31
Expert's post
Ok :)

Main issue is the fact that this problem was medium hard level. I was not sure about this

I resolved it without problems.

Regarding the solution, when you reach 132 to restore to the original output you have to take this new value to 110. So, the question says "By approximately " so we can estimate: 22%. A is not possible so the only that fits the bill is B, without necessary calculation :)

Thanks

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 5

Re: The output of a factory was increased by 10% to keep up with [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 09:01
carcass wrote:
Ok :)

Main issue is the fact that this problem was medium hard level. I was not sure about this

I resolved it without problems.

Regarding the solution, when you reach 132 to restore to the original output you have to take this new value to 110. So, the question says "By approximately " so we can estimate: 22%. A is not possible so the only that fits the bill is B, without necessary calculation :)

Thanks

Here "original output" should be 100, instead of 110 as we are starting with 100.

My mantra for cracking GMAT:
Everyone has inborn talent, however those who complement it with hard work we call them 'talented'.

+1 Kudos = Thank You Dear :)
Are you saying thank you?

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 48

Re: The output of a factory was increased by 10% to keep up with [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 15:07
I have to ask while solving the question and reading the solutions is there a "base equation" behind the following setup: x/100(132) = 32

what I can deduce is is : Original output percentage * final output = percentage to decrease output . I cant remember on the top of my head but I swear that its reminds me of the X or some number is n sort of setup ..anyone no or is this just a general equation that is automatically created to solve the problem

Thanks everyone
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 01-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

Re: The output of a factory was increased by 10% to keep up with [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 14:09
This post received
KUDOS
Difficulty levels are pretty subjective IMO. Everyone has their weak areas that they need to work on which might not hold significance for the next person.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: SAG-AFTRA, AEA
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-20-2013
WE: Performing Arts (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The output of a factory was increased by 10% to keep up with [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 10:23
This post received
KUDOS
(Explanation below provided by 'The Little Green Math Book')

Percentage decrease to return to an original number = \frac{New-Old}{New}

So: \frac{132-100}{132}= \frac{32}{132} ≈ 24% = B

"How far that little candle throws his beams.
So shines a good deed in a weary world."
- Shakespeare

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1026

Kudos [?]: 4443 [1] , given: 162

The output of a factory was increased by 10% to keep [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 02:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Responding to a pm:

20%
24%
30%
32%
79%

The original output increases by 10% and then 20%.

Method 1:

Holiday output = Old output * (11/10) *(6/5) = Old output * (33/25)

Now if you want to go back to the old output, you need to multiply the Holiday output by (25/33) i.e. reduce it by 8/33 which is approximately 24% (note that 8/33 = 24/99 i.e. approx 24%)

Holiday output * (25/33) = Old output * (33/25) * (25/33) = Old output

Method 2:

Or, use the formula.

Total % change = a + b + ab/100
Total % change = 10 + 20 + 10*20/100 = 32%

Now, you want to change it to 0, so,

0 = 32 + x + 32x/100
x = -32(100)/132 = 24% approximately

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
Followers: 162

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The output of a factory was increased by 10% to keep up with [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2014, 03:34
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: The output of a factory was increased by 10% to keep up with   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2014, 03:34