Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 07:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The overarching implications of discursive constructivism

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [5] , given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 21:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The overarching implications of discursive constructivism are realized in every aspect of reality in which language is involved, since language manifests our conceptual framework. Because something is the way it is because we bestow our perceptions onto it via language, examining the philosophy of language proves itself especially important in feminist discourse. Some feminists have advanced the notion of formulating a new reality more congenial to women by which women will liberate themselves from oppressive patriarchal discourses and thrive with their newfound expressive capabilities.

The inherent maleness of language, in light of discursive constructivism, traps women in a hierarchy of patriarchal social relations in which they are delegated to the lower rungs. Language often represents maleness as the norm, obscures the existence and importance of women, and imbeds a male-centric worldview, creating a picture of the world more suited to men than women. The English language, among many others, engages in what Frye calls the absurd practice of sex-marking, in which language assigns a critical importance to gender in situations in which it is, in reality, irrelevant, thereby perpetuating the narrative that men and women are somehow irrevocably and fundamentally dissimilar.

The patriarchal nature of language cannot be denied as a general force, yet feminists are not entirely correct to say that the entirety of a language enforces a discriminatory narrative. Although a plethora of specific terms and usages which stifle women's equality exist, certain neutral words are undeniably present which have escaped the male bias which afflicts so much of our semantic reality. It is important to note that the patriarchal structure of society does not grant men complete control over language, despite their immense influence in the creation of dictionaries, grammatical rules and usage guides.

The function of the second paragraph is to

(A) explain an assertion presented in the first paragraph
(B) present an argument which the third paragraph reinforces
(C) introduce the author's interpretation of a concept developed in the first paragraph
(D) provide support for the approach of discursive constructivism presented in the first paragraph
(E) introduce a point of view in a debate begun in the first paragraph and resolved in the third paragraph

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A: The first paragraph asserts that examining the philosophy of language proves itself especially important in feminist discourse. The second paragraph, which explains that language is inherently male and therefore is harmful to women, shows why language plays such an important role for feminists.

If the author's opinion about the patriarchal nature of language is correct, what may be inferred about our perceptions of gender?

(A) Women have been successful in changing our perceptions of gender in certain instances, although overall, we still perceive men as superior to women.
(B) Although we do not always hold patriarchal assumptions, gender is the underlying force in our conception of reality.
(C) We do not think that gender is important in every instance, although in those instances in which it is important, we see men as superior to women.
(D) Even though, overall, we perceive women as inferior to men, there are certain instances in which the reverse is true.
(E) Although men perceive women as inferior most of the time, there are certain instances in which they recognize women's equality.

C: For this Inference question, we must first identify the author's opinion about the patriarchal nature of language. The first sentence of the third paragraph tells us that the author thinks that overall, language is patriarchal (and therefore discriminatory), yet in certain instances it is not.Remember that language is, to the author, that which reveals how we think about reality.

In light of discursive constructivism, it may be inferred that

(A) the thinking of women is as male-centric as the thinking of men
(B) the use of specific linguistic forms shapes the worldviews of both men and women
(C) men seek control of language in an effort to relegate women to an inferior social position
(D) the function of language is to describe an objective reality, a task that has been obscured by our male-centric worldview
(E) feminist theorists are the only scholars interested in the philosophy of language because others cannot see the male-centric structure of language

A: If language is inherently male, and language is a reflection of what we think and since women use language in the same way as men, it necessarily follows that women's thinking is male-centric.

Which of the following best summarizes the contents of the passage?

(A) Since many linguistic constructs display no gender bias, the feminist argument that language creates the male-centric structure of our society that traps women in the lower rungs of a patriarchal hierarchy has no merit.
(B) Feminists consider language, which, they argue, has a male bias and therefore devalues women, to be of great importance because of language's effect on how we perceive reality, even though this critique, although correct in principle, is unfounded in some cases.
(C) The feminist argument that language reflects the patriarchal order of society and therefore relegates women to a lower status has many merits but it is not entirely correct.
(D) Discursive constructivism, the concept that language is an active agent in the creation of what we perceive as reality, is of great concern to feminists, but their concerns, while founded, are exaggerated.
(E) Language imposes a patriarchal discourse biased against women and constitutes a grave concern to feminists, who, although aware of language as a force which shapes reality, believe it is only male-centric in certain aspects.

B: This answer choice makes the distinction between the feminists' point of view advanced in the first and second paragraphs (that language, which has a male bias, is important because it creates reality) and the author's opinion expressed in the third paragraph (that there are instances in which language has no male bias).

Hey - I realize that the passage is already up but I figured I'd post it again with the complete set of questions.

I'm not sure if this is a very tough passage or if I was in a rush or if I'm a chauvinist pig, but I got 0/4 on this one. Hah.

KUDOS please if my post was useful!

Last edited by mattce on 23 Jun 2013, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 02:15
Hi Mattice,

Thanks for the RC. As a native speaker it has further destroyed my confidence in RC. Lol! :-D
In the same boat 0/4.

Went through the link which discusses about last question.
Was confused on b/c and choosed c. Missed the minor detail which makes c (merits) wrong.
Tough to believe one word can trick you from right answer.

Any explaination to remaining questions will be appreciated.

Regards,
Jojo
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 3

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
jojojoseph wrote:
Any explaination to remaining questions will be appreciated.

Answer explanations added to the OA spoilers

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 23:09
Thanks mattce! :-D

I am not happy with the explaination to third answer though!

Please quote lines in the passage which help you infer "since women use language in the same way as men".
If possible better explaination or detailed explaination would be appreciated.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 23:20
jojojoseph wrote:
I am not happy with the explaination to third answer though!.

Haha, don't worry - I'm equally dissatisfied with their answers as you are!

MasterGMAT often has pretty sub-par explanations for verbal, which is part of the reason I posted this, hoping to get some experts' opinions on these questions.

I would try to explain this question to you but I don't understand it either, sorry!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 00:48
OMG!!

that's a blood bath!!

1/4...lol!

I got q4, right....guys please help by explaining the other answers!

Thanks,
Aniket
Cheerz!
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 137

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2014, 05:56
Really nice passage and indeed a 700 level practice. I was 3/4 for this but took 12 mins :shock: .. Can't take so much long in real GMAT :(

Kudos !!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
GMAT Date: 05-30-2014
GPA: 3.92

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 14:54
i have always confused between two , but in that two one is always correct , anyone can help me plsssssssssssssss...........
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Design (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 51

CAT Tests
Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 22:38
Good RC but beyond my capability to comprehend it correctly, although answer explanations helped me to get a perspective of it
Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism   [#permalink] 08 May 2014, 22:38