Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The owner of a four-storey commercial building discovered

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

The owner of a four-storey commercial building discovered [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 12:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:11) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The owner of a four-storey commercial building discovered termites in the building's first and second floors and called an exterminator. THe exterminator pumped gas directly into the walls on both the first and second floors. Due to the exterminator's work, the termites on those floows were killed quickly.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the validity of the explanation for the speed with which the termites were killed?

a. The third floor had no termite infestation
b. Even though the exterminator did not pump gas into the walls of the fourth story, the termites there died as quickly as they did on the first and second stories.
c. The speed with which termites are killed increases as the concentration of exterminator's gas increases.
d. The speed with which the exterminator's gas kills termites drops off sharply as the gas dissipates throughout the building's walls.
e. The exterminator's gas pumping system works efficiently even when pumping gas into both the first and second stories of the building simultaneously.

Please help. The question is from Kaplan
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:38
hbs2012 wrote:
The owner of a four-storey commercial building discovered termites in the building's first and second floors and called an exterminator. THe exterminator pumped gas directly into the walls on both the first and second floors. Due to the exterminator's work, the termites on those floows were killed quickly.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the validity of the explanation for the speed with which the termites were killed?

b. Even though the exterminator did not pump gas into the walls of the fourth story, the termites there died as quickly as they did on the first and second stories.
c. The speed with which termites are killed increases as the concentration of exterminator's gas increases.
d. The speed with which the exterminator's gas kills termites drops off sharply as the gas dissipates throughout the building's walls.
e. The exterminator's gas pumping system works efficiently even when pumping gas into both the first and second stories of the building simultaneously.

[color=#008000][b]Weaken argument:

B

Argu claims that due to ext term the termites killed "quickly" on first and second

If B, is true, how come the termites on fourth floor were "quickly" killed -so it undermines

On first scan, I overlooked word "quickly " in B

Last edited by iamcste on 04 Dec 2008, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:47
hbs2012 wrote:

B

something else must have caused the termits' fast death and floor 4 proves that

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 15:15
Agree with B...
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 99

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 11:25
B.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 16:12
We also had the same termite extermination problem in your 2 floor building office and would like to hear more tips and answer for that. Please? We are running out of time.

I'm sorry, let me rephrase the question..

Last edited by CarolineRony on 28 Dec 2008, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 22:59
CarolineRony wrote:
We also had the same termite extermination problem in your 2 floor building office and would like to hear more tips and answer for that. Please? We are running out of time.

What do you mean? Whether or not You get the reasoning ?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 04:23
B
weakens the st.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 19:50
(B)

Kick GMAT ass

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 22:59
yes B. This is the only option that provides some other potential cause of the same effect.
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2009, 13:44
hbs2012 wrote:

My beef with this Q

The stimulus says T were found on 1st and second floor.

Answer choice B adds that termites on 4th floor died. C mon Termites do not die magically. Do they? Some thing else caused them to die. Some thing else caused the T on 4th floor to die doesn't weaken the fact that T on 1st/2nd were killed by efficiency of E. Some thing else might have caused them to die on 4, but what is the proof that the same/similar some thing else was done on 1/2??. Only then we can say that B actually weakens the efficiency/speed of E used on 1st/2nd Do I make sense or Am I just caught in a vicious circle? IMO, If at all, B does support this. B is saying, E was not done in 4th floor. T died. So it is possible that the gas permeated into 3rd/4th floors and got the T killed.

Please point out any error in my reasoning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 4

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2009, 22:36
icandy, you are thinking too much

The question stem wants you to undermine the validity of the explanation for the speed with which termites were killed. The explanation : only because of pumping of gas the termites died as quickly as they did

So, any answer choice that proves the reasoning in 'the explanation' is not the only way the termites die as quickly, would undermine the validity explanation and solve the question

Cheers,
Unplugged
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2009, 00:14
[quote="hbs2012"]The owner of a four-storey commercial building discovered termites in the building's first and second floors and called an exterminator.

Are we not making simple assumption of T bieng there in 4th Floor,despite of Questn clearly indicates that Owner has seen T in 2nd & 3rd Floor only.

Why are we assuming that the building is having T in fourth floor also. I think it would be D....

What u say guys??
VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2009, 09:23
Definitely B
This question is similar to one in OG11 in which the frost gets evaporated at the side panes also though no hot air blower is there.(dnt rem exact wordings)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2009, 10:22
To weaken ( from Gmat CR Bible )

Cause --> Effect

(Exterminator efficiency) --> Killing

If we could hint any other cause , such argument is most weakened.

B shows a possibility of another cause.
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 705 [0], given: 3

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2009, 11:36
B is the only real candidate among the answer choices, but I agree with icandy above - it really isn't a very good answer either. Why are we to assume that the exterminator's work didn't also affect the termites on the 4th floor? It's clear from the structure of the question that we are supposed to assume that, but the assumption doesn't seem warranted to me.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2009, 12:58
Hi mates,

Although B seems to be the more popular, I'd go with D

My thoughts:

We have to look for a reason that undermines the validity of the explanation about why the termites died so quickly, well D related (in an inverse way) the speed at which the termites were killed and the speed at which the gas dissipated.

OA and Source?

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2009, 21:45
D would actually srengthen the conclusion by verifying that the exterminator's worl was the result of the termites disappearing.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 05:10
hbs2012 wrote:

Here is my take..

Termites on the floors were killed quickly because "The exterminator pumped gas directly into the walls on both the first and second floors. "

Now to undermines the validity of the explanation for the speed with which the termites were killed... we need to prove tht speed at which the termites die is not only because of "The exterminator pumped gas directly into the walls on both the first and second floors. " but also by some other reason.

A, E - out of scope. we are not worried abt third floor infection/ The exterminator's gas pumping system works efficiently

C - talks abt the speed increase..but we are actually searching for another reason for speed other than "pumping gas directly into the walls"

D - talks abt speed drop off

B - clearly says that termites were killed in 4th floor even though the exterminator didn't pumped gas directly into the walls.

Hope it is succint.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 12:57
selvae, why do you drop D off?

Actually, the question relates with speed...

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Re: CR: Termites and Exterminator   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2009, 12:57