Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The paradox of the Roman empires history is marked by the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1622 [6] , given: 249

The paradox of the Roman empires history is marked by the [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 07:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (02:46) correct 68% (01:48) wrong based on 919 sessions
The paradox of the Roman empire’s history is marked by the fall of the western part around the 5th centaury A.D with several regions succumbing to cross border terrorism and internal insurgency, breaking into independent kingdoms, the rise of the eastern part, with the empire fire-walling the crises, and retaking most of the lost territories to establish a firm rule of over most of the Eastern Europe for another six to seven centuries

(A) with several regions succumbing to cross border terrorism and internal insurgency, breaking into independent kingdoms, the rise of the eastern part, with the empire fire - walling the crises, and retaking

(B) as several regions succumbed to cross border terrorism and internal insurgency and broke into independent kingdoms, and the rising of the eastern part as the empire fire-walled the crises and retook

C) when several regions succumbed to cross border terrorism and internal insurgency and broke into independent kingdoms, and by the rise of the eastern part, where the empire fire-walled the crises to retake
(D) with several regions succumbing to cross border terrorism and internal insurgency and breaking into independent kingdoms, and by the rise of the eastern part, with the empire fire -walling the crises, and retaking

(E) amid several regions succumbing to cross border terrorism and internal insurgency broke into independent kingdoms, and by the rise of the eastern part, as the empire fire -walling the crises, retook

Can somebody rate this?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by daagh on 22 Oct 2010, 03:38, edited 2 times in total.
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 63 [5] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Rise and fall of Roman Empire [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 08:07
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:
The paradox of the Roman empire’s history is marked by the fall of the western part around the 5th centaury A.D with several regions succumbing to cross border terrorism and internal insurgency, breaking into independent kingdoms, the rise of the eastern part, with the empire fire-walling the crises, and retaking most of the lost territories to establish a firm rule of over most of the Eastern Europe for another six to seven centuries

(A) with several regions succumbing to cross border terrorism and internal insurgency, breaking into independent kingdoms, the rise of the eastern part, with the empire fire - walling the crises, and retaking

(B) as several regions succumbed to cross border terrorism and internal insurgency and broke into independent kingdoms, and the rising of the eastern part as the empire fire-walled the crises and retook

C) when several regions succumbed to cross border terrorism and internal insurgency and broke into independent kingdoms, and by the rise of the eastern part, where the empire fire-walled the crises to retake
(D) with several regions succumbing to cross border terrorism and internal insurgency and breaking into independent kingdoms, and by the rise of the eastern part, with the empire fire -walling the crises, and retaking

(E) amid several regions succumbing to cross border terrorism and internal insurgency broke into independent kingdoms, and by the rise of the eastern part, as the empire fire -walling the crises, retook

Can somebody rate this?

Rate this problem? One of the best questions on Sc I have come across. A ver challenging one. I deserve a kudo if I get it right and you deserve another for coming up with a brilliant question.
Basically I think the use of "with" is incorrect in this context because the relative pronoun "when" is more appropriate for describing an event. On the basis of this, I eliminate answer choices A and D.
E is incorrect because the entire sentence, other than having a faulty parallelism, sounds really awkward.
It all comes down between C and D.
I will go for C because the sentence is talking about the fall in the western part and the rise in the easten part. The use of "by" correctly maintains parallelism.
So do I get a kudo :?:
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 155

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The Rise and fall of Roman Empire [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 09:55
Difficult one, I would rate it in 600-700 level.

My pick is C, because "....5th century A.D., when" is correct.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1622 [0], given: 249

Re: The Rise and fall of Roman Empire [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 11:10
Expert's post
Is C indeed parallel, going by the construction in both parts of the underlined portion?

1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 155

Kudos [?]: 512 [1] , given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The Rise and fall of Roman Empire [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:
Is C indeed parallel, going by the construction in both parts of the u8nderlined portion?

If C.

The paradox [strike]of the Roman empire’s history[/strike] is marked by the fall of the western part around the 5th centaury A.D, when several regions succumbed to cross border terrorism and internal insurgency and broke into independent kingdoms, and by the rise of the eastern part, where the empire fire-walled the crises to retake most of the lost territories to establish a firm rule of over most of the Eastern Europe for another six to seven centuries

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 65

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Rise and fall of Roman Empire [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 13:23
This post received
KUDOS
I like C as well for parallelism, but this problem took me over 2 minutes.

Any tips on how you can solve this kind of question quickly?

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1622 [8] , given: 249

Re: The Rise and fall of Roman Empire [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 03:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Unparallel; no - by - before the rise

Unparallel; no - by - before the rise

-several regions succumbed…… and broke- is not parallel to - empire fire-walled the crises to retake – The first part is using two simple past tenses namely succumbed and broke while the latter is using a simple past and an infinitive – fire-walled and to retake. IMO, this error downgrades C

(D) with several regions succumbing to cross border terrorism
and internal insurgency and breaking into independent kingdoms, and by the rise of the eastern part, with the empire fire -walling the crises, and retaking

The prepositional phrase - with several regions succumbing to cross border terrorism and internal insurgency and breaking into independent kingdoms – is perfectly matched by an equally parallel - with the empire fire -walling the crises, and retaking - both parts using present participles with vantag
This is why this is the OA.

(E) Amid several regions succumbing to cross border terrorism and internal insurgency broke into independent kingdoms, and by the rise of the eastern part, as the empire fire -walling the crises, retook
Structurally flawed and fragmented without conjunction

Thanks to those brave hearts who have given us great insight into their thinking and I regard those opinions.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 11

Re: The Rise and fall of Roman Empire [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 05:45
This post received
KUDOS
And: D :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The Rise and fall of Roman Empire [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 16:52
May I know what is the source of the question. IMO this does not look very GMAT like.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

The paradox of the Roman empires history is marked by the [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 18:48
Expert's post
This is my personal creation. Incidentally, what exactly is GMAT like question?
Is there any central authority who decides what is GMAT like and what is not? Or is it left to individuals to perceive?

Last edited by daagh on 23 Jun 2014, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: The Rise and fall of Roman Empire [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 12:48
I eliminated B,C,D cause the first part of the sentence has 2 'AND' is a row, which is quite unnatural.

The most logical way to set this sentence is

The paradox of the Roman empire’s history is marked by the fall of the western part *Details* and by the rise of Easter Empire *Details".

A didn't have this pattern, while E had.

So Ans: E
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 70

Re: The Rise and fall of Roman Empire [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 03:20
can anybody explain why the ans is E not C. I thought it is C. I guess everyone has fallen in the trap of word 'when' and parallelism.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: The Rise and fall of Roman Empire [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 03:42
Expert's post
niraj92: Sorry it is my mistake. I had entered the official answer as E. It is indeed D.
i have explained why the answer is not C in my posting

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Rise and fall of Roman Empire [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 07:08
A very good parallelism question.

+1 for D.

Crick
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: The paradox of the Roman empires history is marked by the [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 23:33
Why there is ",and" in "with the empire fire -walling the crises, and retaking ". Isn't it should be "with the empire fire -walling the crises and retaking."
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 275

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The paradox of the Roman empires history is marked by the [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 08:49
Any ideas on deciding between (C) and (D), I though D was more 'parallel' if you will because it maintains the same verb structure on participle tense, but simple past also sounds find and could be paralllel as in answer choice C.

Would be nice to know about this
Cheers!
J :)
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 287

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The paradox of the Roman empires history is marked by the [#permalink] New post 19 May 2014, 13:21
daagh wrote:

Can somebody rate this?

My Pick was C.. Please confirm the OA..OA mentioned in the link below is C.
one-question-a-day-q-22-sc-169421.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The paradox of the Roman empires history is marked by the [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 01:38
Good problem. I am glad that I got it right. It would have been a sitter , had any answer choice got words to highlight the paradox (irony/contrast)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 30

Re: The paradox of the Roman empires history is marked by the [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2014, 21:27
Daagh,

The question has "The paradox of the Roman empire’s history is" which is in present tense. Whereas option D has everything in past. So how come D be considered correct? Shouldn't it be eliminated? Please explain. Thank you
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 31

CAT Tests
The paradox of the Roman empires history is marked by the [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
sri30kanth wrote:
Daagh,

The question has "The paradox of the Roman empire’s history is" which is in present tense. Whereas option D has everything in past. So how come D be considered correct? Shouldn't it be eliminated? Please explain. Thank you

Actually two tenses are being considered in the given statement.

I) One is present tense as you have highlighted. i.e. "The paradox of the Roman empire’s history is marked....." Here "Marking" is done at present. Therefore, it has present tense is.
II) Now again, the event of "marking" is done based on two past events. These past events are represented by "by" word in option D. That is, The paradox of the Roman empire’s history is marked by X, and by Y. Where X= the fall of the western part around the 5th centaury A.D, with X1
Y=the rise of the eastern part, with Y1.

In option D, both X1 and Y1 are parallel, using past tense.

Hope this helps :)
The paradox of the Roman empires history is marked by the   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2014, 10:44