Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2782 [305]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [78]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [45]
Given Kudos: 206
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [24]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple, with eight colu [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Prateek176 wrote:
MartyMurray

Could you please help me with eliminating option A. I am still not able to understand from the above posts

Here's the sentence created via the use of choice (A), in other words, the original version.

The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple, with eight columns on the short sides and seventeen on the long ones rather than the typical six and thirteen.

This choice is not that easy to eliminate. It seems to convey a meaning that makes sense, but here's the thing.

The expression "something is larger than usual", is generally used to express that that thing is larger than that thing usually is. For instance:

Last month the balance in my bank account was larger than usual, because I was holding some money for a friend.

The above sentence conveys a meaning that makes sense, that the account was larger than that account usually is.

So, I guess the clearest reason to eliminate (A) is that the version created via the use of (A) could be perceived as conveying that the Parthenon is larger than the Parthenon usually is, as in, "The Parthenon is larger than usual."

So, the sentence thus created conveys a weird meaning: The Parthenon is larger than the Parthenon usually is for a Doric temple.

Originally posted by MartyTargetTestPrep on 19 Sep 2018, 18:01.
Last edited by MartyTargetTestPrep on 01 Nov 2021, 03:39, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 585 [15]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple, with eight colu [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
tonebeeze wrote:
The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple, with eight columns on the short sides and seventeen on the long ones rather than the typical six and thirteen.

(a) usual
(b) is usual
(c) has been usual
(d) one usually is
(e) it is usual

Can someone please break down the grammar errors for each answer choice, in addition, explain why (B) is a preferred answer choice over (D).

Thanks all!

Hi,

short sentence correction options may seem easier at first glance, but the correct answer often reflects a minor grammar or style issue, so we need to be extra careful on these.

B is superior to A for parallelism reasons: "IS larger than IS usual" maintains parallelism.

C changes the tense, which changes the meaning of the sentence.

D has the ambiguous pronoun "one", which technically refers to the closest preceding legal parent noun. In this sentence, the only preceding legal parent noun is "the Parthenon", so D actually reads:
Quote:
The Parthenon is larger than the Parthenon usually is

which makes absolutely no sense - we want to compare the Parthenon to other Doric temples, not to itself.

E introduces "it", which is grammatically and stylistically wrong.

Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [17]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Send PM
Re: The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple, with eight colu [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi all,

My 2 cents on this:
I have noticed, at least on official SC questions, that when we find something unusual it normally crops up from ambiguous meaning.

Here, C can be eliminated because it changes the tense and thus the intended meaning.
D and E both can be eliminated because they contain pronouns, one and it, that refer back to Parthenon and thus makes the sentence nonsensical by repeating Parthenon.

Now, to choose between A and B we have to look for meaning (ambiguity).
A says, The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple - it could mean two things:
1. The Parthenon is larger than an usual Doric temple (this is probably the intended meaning)
2. The Parthenon is larger than usually the Parthenon should be (this is the ambiguous meaning, making A wrong)
So, B comes on rescue and discards the ellipsis present in A. (Ellipsis: practice of omitting the understood words)

B says, The Parthenon is larger than is usual for a Doric temple - Note that the ambiguous meaning cannot be derived from B.

I hope this helps,

Binit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
If we think problem in terms of "X is larger than Y". X & Y must be of same type right?
X--> Parthenon and Y--> should make sense for comparison. I choose D btw.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [2]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Send PM
Kudos
rakeshpai1 wrote:
If we think problem in terms of "X is larger than Y". X & Y must be of same type right?
X--> Parthenon and Y--> should make sense for comparison. I choose D btw.

Hi rakeshpai1,

D is incorrect because of one - the pronoun. 'One' has to replace some noun, right? That noun is The Parthenon. So, we have:
The Parthenon is larger than the Parthenon usually is for a Doric temple - does that makes sense?

Thanks,
Binit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
tonebeeze wrote:

(a) usual
(b) is usual
(c) has been usual
(d) one usually is
(e) it is usual

Can someone please break down the grammar errors for each answer choice, in addition, explain why (B) is a preferred answer choice over (D).

Thanks all!

Option A- Wrong comparison. comparison is being done between parthenon and usual.
Option B-Close option KEep it
Option C-No need of using present perfect in passive form infact present perfect is not at all required.
Option D- Close option Keep it
Option E-It is ambiguous referrring to whom not clear.

Now between b& D B is better for the reason crisp and precise and one in option D is referring to what thing( we do not know), my observation- GMAT usually do not uses one though there might be exceptions..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Hello Experts,,Can you help me understand the comparison in option B and why it is better than E
HOw do we eliminate options a,e
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
MartyMurray

Could you please help me with eliminating option A. I am still not able to understand from the above posts
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
C changes the tense, which in turn changes the meaning of the sentence to mean that there was a standard size for Doric temples that has changed.

D has ‘one’ incorrectly referring to the Parthenon. The ‘it’ in E is grammatically wrong and awkward.

This is now between A and B. B is the better choice because ‘is usual’ maintains parallelism with ‘is larger’
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
GMATNinja
Hi Sir,
Can you please explain why D is wrong? and what difference does "is" makes between A and B?

Regards,
Kshitij
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 480 Q48 V14
Send PM
i still didn't get why A is incorrect. Can anyone please some more light on "a"?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kshitijgarg wrote:
GMATNinja
Hi Sir,
Can you please explain why D is wrong? and what difference does "is" makes between A and B?

Regards,
Kshitij

MartyTargetTestPrep gave a great explanation of A vs B in this post.

Choice (D) is addressed here.

If those posts don't answer your questions, let us know!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [6]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple, with eight colu [#permalink]
Kudos