Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The PC has revolutionized the world more than any other

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

The PC has revolutionized the world more than any other [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2004, 14:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
1. The PC has revolutionized the world more than any other machine in modern times

2. The PC has revolutionized the world more than has any other machine in modern times

Thanks

S
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2004, 15:00
srijay007 wrote:
Guys
Can you let me know with explanation which one is correct
1. The PC has revolutionized the world more than any other machine in modern times
2. The PC has revolutionized the world more than has any other machine in modern times

S

Second option is better, but not perefect.

to mean:
a. The PC has revolutionized the world more than any other machine in modern times has revolutionized the world
b. The PC has revolutionized the world more than The PC has revolutionized any other machine in modern times
to mean:
a. The PC has revolutionized the world more than any other machine in modern times has revolutionized
[s]b. The PC has revolutionized the world more than The PC has revolutionized any other machine [/s] impossible
in other words, 2 resolves ambiquity .. slightly
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2004, 17:16
srijay007 wrote:
Guys

2 is better.
we can very well infer that PCs are compared with other machines and to what extent they both have revolutionized the world.

1 is like "PC has revolutionized the world more than it has revolutionized any other machine"

PC has revolutionized. other machine has revolutionized.

But PC has provided more material/research benefits than has provided by any other machine. PC is way above other machine in whatever term we are trying to compare..

I am sure you won't feel like writing your e-mail this way, but that's GMAT english :pray
Director
Director

Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2004, 17:22
I also chose 2 for the same reason but the OA is 1
I guess the OA is wrong
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2004, 17:41
Hello Vijay (Sorry for the late arrival) :)

To answer your question.

-- the first one correctly implies that the PC (we know it is a machine) has revolutnz the world more than other machine. Here the HAS is understood. HAS is understood to have been placed after ANY OTHER MACHINE. Hence the sentence can be understood as

1. The PC has revolutionized the world more than any other machine has in modern times. But we do not have to use the HAS. Since it is comparing machine to a machine.

Let me give an example.

Polio has created more fear than any other disease, in olden days. Correctly compares DISEASE to DISEASE. If I re-write the sentence with HAS... we can get the jist of what I mean.

Polio has created more fear than has any other disease. The inclusion of HAS is unneccessary. Look at the below sentence where HAS is to be used.

Compare both !!!

Polio vaccine has a greater effect in treating polio patients than it has on other patients.

Polio vaccine has a greater effect in treating polio patients than other patients.

Here, without the HAS, it sounds like we are comparing polio vaccine with patients. Hence, when comparing like terms, HAS is not required. A Tip from my side is, when you see an additional noun, be aware, that the sentence is trying is create a confusion on the comparision between the original and the new noun.

I hope this helped.

Giving another SHOT

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2004, 18:08
carsen wrote:
1. The PC has revolutionized the world more than any other machine has in modern times. But we do not have to use the HAS. Since it is comparing machine to a machine.

I see your point here. To make the sentence parallel we need to have HAS after the referent noun. But, still, 1 doesn't sound good.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2004, 18:23
Hi DJ

How about this sentence.

My PC has crashed more than any other PC in the company.
My PC has crashed more than HAS any other PC in the company.
My PC has crashed more than any other PC HAS in the company

It (the first sentence) makes sense here, without the HAS, right?. and the 3rd sentence is also right. Both are better than the 2nd one.

Regards

Giving another SHOT

SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2004, 19:34
Without looking at the discussion I chose A as the answer. Carsen read my mind.

Carsen,

You said exactly what I had in my mind.

Bhai.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2004, 19:37
Great explanation Carsen :good

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2004, 22:13
Thanks Carsen for clarifying the doubt
:-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2004, 22:44
The correct expression is always dependent on whether 'has/have' is used as auxiliary verb.

'is'/'has'/'have' can be missed out in comparisons (rules of ellipsis), if they are used as auxiliary verbs.

Ramu is taller than Hari (is).
Ramu has done better work than Hari (has done)

However, 'has/have' cannot be missed out in comparisons if they form the main verb.

Ramu has more number of pens than Hari does (have). /or/
Ramu has more number of pens than does Hari

I have more number of houses than my friends do (have). /or/
I have more number of houses than do my friends.

Now, it should be a cakewalk for choosing between 1 and 2. It has to be 1.

Do correct me with explanatons if I am wrong.

srijay007 wrote:
Guys

Thanks

S

Awaiting response,

Thnx & Rgds,
Chandra

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2004, 22:56
dj wrote:
carsen wrote:

I see your point here. To make the sentence parallel we need to have HAS after the referent noun. But, still, 1 doesn't sound good.

A cant be correct answer. but HAS must be before subject because of SV inversion in this kind of comparative
  [#permalink] 08 Jul 2004, 22:56