Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 09:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

44% (02:07) correct 56% (01:01) wrong based on 16 sessions
The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over
them; the resulting flow pattern, with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms
them is moving rapidly, are
known as "standing waves."

A) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are

(B) crests and troughs that remain stationary although they are formed by rapidly moving air, are

(C) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is

(D) stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is

(E) stationary crests and troughs although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Gnpth on 07 Oct 2014, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the topic for new project
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 09:48
D makes more sense, but I see that I am wrong !!!!! :roll: Give us all 5 choice.

P.S - Be careful of sub-standard prep material

All things are possible to those who believe.

Intern
Intern

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 19:49
Here you go. I have extracted this question from OG10.

A) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are
(B) crests and troughs that remain stationary although they are formed by rapidly moving air, are

(C) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is
(D) stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is

(E) stationary crests and troughs although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are

I can't tell between C&D, why one is preferred to the other. Can anyone help out?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [1] , given: 65

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 20:26
This post received
KUDOS
You forgot, "... is moving rapidly" on your original post.

In my opinion, C is right because of the meaning of crests and troughs themselves.

Crest means the highest part of a hill or mountain range.

So it's probably expected to be stationary to begin with.

Air forms troughs but not crest.

So it is with Crest alone and troughs that blah blah blah.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 20:34
See the comparisons here,

C: crests and troughs that remain stationary but the air that forms them is moving.

Them refers to crests and troughs.

D: stationary crests and troughs but they are formed by rapidly moving air.

Second part of the sentence talks about the motion,but not the first part.

Hence C prevails.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 20:53
fairy1981 wrote:
Here you go. I have extracted this question from OG10.

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over
them; the resulting flow pattern, with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms
them is moving rapidly, are known as "standing waves."

I can't tell between C&D, why one is preferred to the other. Can anyone help out?

Things to look out for are -

1) the resulting flow pattern, ..blah blah.. IS known as ( Eliminating A,B,E)
2) B/W C and D,
C the air that forms them (crest and trough) is moving rapidly - ACTIVE Form to express an action
D they (crest and trough) are formed by rapidly moving air - PASSIVE Form to express an action.

Kudos Never costs your Pocket ! Give when u feel it worthy :idea:

Kudos Never costs your Pocket ! Give when u feel it worthy :idea:

Intern
Intern

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 20:10
Thanks guys. Is this question considered above 700 category?
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1698 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 21:15
Expert's post
IMO can not be ; if you can strike down three choices in one stroke i.e. subject –verb disagreement, then, it can not go beyond 600

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 986 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 21:11
fairy1981 wrote:
them is moving rapidly, are
known as "standing waves."

(c) with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them, is

(d) with stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is

Which one is the better choice? (I've written down only 2 choices because the other two do not make sense)

D-with stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is

The bolded part is not a clause. You can not use although with the phrase.
check http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/conj ... nating.htm

In c - crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is

both the bolded parts are clauses. Hence the use of although is justified.

Also in D.- 'rapidly moving air' changes the meaning.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2010, 21:11