Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2005, 19:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them; the resulting flow pattern, with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are known as "standing waves."

(A) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are

(B) crests and troughs that remain stationary although they are formed by rapidly moving air, are

(C) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is

(D) stationary crests and troughs although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are

(E) stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2005, 19:25
(D) and (E) distorts the original meaning.
(C) has wrong verb - is

Between (A) and (B), I pick (B).

"They" are more important than "the air".

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2005, 19:40
Well A, B, D are definately out cuz of verb-sent agreement.

The resulting flow pattern IS
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC The peaks [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2005, 21:13
C. the subject is "the resulting flow pattern", which needs singular verb -is. It rules out ABD. E is in passive. So remains C.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC The peaks [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2005, 21:16
joemama142000 wrote:
The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them; the resulting flow pattern, with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are known as "standing waves."

(A) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are

(B) crests and troughs that remain stationary although they are formed by rapidly moving air, are

(C) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is

(D) stationary crests and troughs although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are

(E) stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is

Because it has to end in "is", it's either C or E. I say E because it's more simple and concise.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2005, 22:45
A, B, D are out.
Out of C & E.
I vote for C.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2005, 23:16
joemama142000 wrote:
Well A, B, D are definately out cuz of verb-sent agreement.

The resulting flow pattern IS

Oops, I missed that :oops:

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2005, 09:30
I GO FOR B GUYS.......CHECK THAT AGAIN :shock:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2005, 09:41
I go for C

Out of C & E (subject verb agreement), C is appropriate
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC The peaks [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2005, 09:58
Go with C. A, B, D are out because of plural/singular issue. E changes meaning and is not clear.

joemama142000 wrote:

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2005, 11:12
how is C so different from E? Can someone explain? thanks
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 16:27
Thanks Bhai! I was trying to figure out why C over E. I guess "they" in E can refer to "crests and troughts" or anything before that right?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2007, 11:23
In C, two "them" refer to different things. Is this right? Need grammar explains, thank.

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them; the resulting flow pattern, with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is known as "standing waves."
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2007, 14:15
I would pick C. Correct verb for the 'resulting flow pattern' is 'Is'. So A, B and D are out. C looks better than E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC The peaks [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 19:26
Please could any one suggest how to eliminate E.

OE says , The clause follow although is awkward.

The sentense formation with option E.

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them; the resulting flow pattern, with stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is known as "standing waves."

according to OE => they are formed by rapidly moving air -> awkward.

Could any one explain !!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC The peaks [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2008, 09:50
I'm in the same boat as you are, looking for a better explanation. I picked E over C due to simplicity, and gmat loves simplicity - but not in this case. Some of you say it's C because of active voice. So is active voice more important than simplicity?

huntgmat wrote:
Please could any one suggest how to eliminate E.

OE says , The clause follow although is awkward.

The sentense formation with option E.

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them; the resulting flow pattern, with stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is known as "standing waves."

according to OE => they are formed by rapidly moving air -> awkward.

Could any one explain !!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC The peaks [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2008, 07:37
I think it's C becasue E changes the meaning of the sentence a little bit. C is longer, but clearer, just like Bhai said.
Re: SC The peaks   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2008, 07:37