Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 02:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The people who are least likely to be audited by the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 7

The people who are least likely to be audited by the [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:03) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 55 sessions
The people who are least likely to be audited by the Internal Revenue Service this year are those who have been audited since 1985 and who were found to have made no mistakes in filing their returns during that audit.
Of the following people, who is MOST likely to be audited by the IRS?

(A) A person who was audited in 1986 but was not found to have made any mistakes in filing his return.
(B) A person who was audited in 1986 and whose lawyer corrected several mistakes in the tax return prior to the filing deadline.
(C) A person whose spouse was convicted of tax fraud in 1987, who was then audited and found to have made no mistakes.
(D) A person who was last audited in 1984, and had no mistakes uncovered by the IRS during that audit.
(E) A person who was audited in each of the past five years, but was found to have made no mistakes in any of the filings

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 7

Re: The people who are least likely to be audited by the [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 10:02
My answer was B....
Please explain .....

Shikhar

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 50

Re: The people who are least likely to be audited by the [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 20:21
This post received
KUDOS
shikhar wrote:
The people who are least likely to be audited by the Internal Revenue Service this year are those who have been audited since 1985 and who were found to have made no mistakes in filing their returns during that audit.
Of the following people, who is MOST likely to be audited by the IRS?

(A) A person who was audited in 1986 but was not found to have made any mistakes in filing his return.
(B) A person who was audited in 1986 and whose lawyer corrected several mistakes in the tax return prior to the filing deadline.
(C) A person whose spouse was convicted of tax fraud in 1987, who was then audited and found to have made no mistakes.
(D) A person who was last audited in 1984, and had no mistakes uncovered by the IRS during that audit.
(E) A person who was audited in each of the past five years, but was found to have made no mistakes in any of the filings

If these two conditions are satisfied then there is very less chance that they will be audited this year.
1. audited since 1985
2. were found to have made no mistakes in filing their returns during that audit.

MOST likely to be audited would mean that either one or both the conditions are not satisfied.

INCORRECT - satisfies both the conditions
INCORRECT - Mistakes were corrected before the filing deadline.
INCORRECT - spouse??? outside the scope. the part after the comma satisfies both the conditions above
CORRECT - Does not satisfy condition 1, which increases his chances of getting audited
INCORRECT - satisfies both the conditions
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: The people who are least likely to be audited by the [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 22:47
I also think B is correct one
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: The people who are least likely to be audited by the [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 22:51
+1 D

Reflected the reasoning suggested by gmatprep2011

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 7

Re: The people who are least likely to be audited by the [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 23:09
Now i can see it ...
Thanks GMATPrep2011....

The explanation was good i got stuck in vain.....

Shikhar

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 13

Re: The people who are least likely to be audited by the [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 11:29
What the OA?

However, i agree with answer choice D for the Most likely.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 11

Re: The people who are least likely to be audited by the [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 07:47
boomtangboy wrote:
+1 D

Reflected the reasoning suggested by gmatprep2011

i thought B is correct. what is the explaination for chosing D?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '17
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The people who are least likely to be audited by the [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 00:34
This question is easy to choose choice D, the correct choice. Choice D states that "A person who was last audited in 1984, and had no mistakes uncovered by the IRS during that audit". This statement is opposite to the argument, which states that The LEAST person be audited is the one who was audited since 1985 and did not make any mistake from that audit to now.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 22

Re: The people who are least likely to be audited by the [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 01:38
Least likely to be audited by the IRS if they are audited since 1985 and were found with no mistakes in filing the tax.

C - Out of scope
A, B and E - Satisfy both the conditions

Only option D violates one of the necessary condition.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 4

Re: The people who are least likely to be audited by the [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 09:40
I too got D for this one. What is the OA?

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 12

Re: The people who are least likely to be audited by the [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 03:12
IMO D... thanks for the explanation

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: The people who are least likely to be audited by the [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 19:39
what is the oa?

my answer is d
although none of the option match completely with the criteria of regularly being audited since 1985 ,options other then d match atleast partially with the criteria
Re: The people who are least likely to be audited by the   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2012, 19:39