Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 17:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The percentage of households with an annual income of more

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 480 [1] , given: 287

CAT Tests
The percentage of households with an annual income of more [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (02:02) correct 55% (01:19) wrong based on 236 sessions
The percentage of households with an annual income of more than $40,000 is higher in Merton county than in any other county. However, the percentage of households with an annual income of $60,000 or more is highest in Sommer county. If the statements above are true, which of the following can properly be concluded on the basis of them?

A. No household in Merton county has an annual income of $60,000 or more.
B. Some households in Merton county have an annual income between $40,000 and $60,000.
C. The number of households with an annual income of more than $40,000 is greater in Merton than in Sommer county.
D. Average annual household income is higher in Sommer than in Merton county.
E. The percentage of households with an annual income of $80,000 is higher in Sommer than in Merton county.

Hi, I added this as previous posts don't have OA.
Can anyone explain why A is wrong, please.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 585

Kudos [?]: 2376 [2] , given: 32

Re: The percentage of households with an annual income of more [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
goodyear2013 wrote:
The percentage of households with an annual income of more than $40,000 is higher in Merton county than in any other county. However, the percentage of households with an annual income of $60,000 or more is highest in Sommer county. If the statements above are true, which of the following can properly be concluded on the basis of them?

B. Some households in Merton county have an annual income between $40,000 and $60,000.
C. The number of households with an annual income of more than $40,000 is greater in Merton than in Sommer county.
E. The percentage of households with an annual income of $80,000 is higher in Sommer than in Merton county.

Dear goodyear2013,
I'm happy to help. :-)

Variants of this question are jumbled all over GC --- different orders and different combinations for the answer choices. FYI, in this configuration, (B) is the OA, not (C). Choice (C) makes the classic numbers/percentage confusion, a tried and true trap.

Why is (A) wrong? The short answer is: it's too extreme. When you are drawing a conclusion or inference on the GMAT CR, any choice with "always", "never", "no", "none", "every", etc. are usually not going to work. Any answer making any kind of absolute statement typically does not work.

Think about it. The prompt says: "the percentage of households with an annual income of $60,000 or more is highest in Sommer county." What could this mean? Well, it could mean:
Sommer county: 10% of households have income > $60K
Merton county: 5% of households have income > $60K
This would be 100% consistent with the information in the prompt. If 5% of the households in Merton county have incomes over $60,000, then that's obvious more than zero. Choice (A) makes the fallacy that if P > Q, then it must be true that Q is zero. That's far too much of a leap, given only that P > Q.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 68

Premium Member
Re: The percentage of households with an annual income of more [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 23:18
I totally agree with Mike. The correct Answer is B.

A)No household in Merton county has an annual income of $60,000 or more.
Avoid using the words No, never , none. As these word denote extreme.

C. The number of households with an annual income of more than $40,000 is greater
in Merton than in Sommer county.

Number Vs Percentage issue.

We cannot do average until and unless we know the No of people in each area.

E. The percentage of households with an annual income of $80,000 is higher in
Sommer than in Merton county.

A very trick option but i try to explain this in simple way

We are given that
P1 : households with an annual income of more than $40,000 is higher in
Merton county than in any other county.

It is possible that people with salaries higher than 80,000$ are present in Merton.

P2 : percentage of households with an annual income of $60,000 or more is highest in Sommer county.

It is possible that people with more than 80,000$ are also present in Sommer.

So, it is not possible to conclude that Sommer has more people earning 80.000$ than those in Sommer .
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Re: The percentage of households with an annual income of more [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2014, 10:46
goodyear2013 wrote:

Answer is B.
Please make sure to post correct OA while posting any question. This will help to avoid any confusion.

Thanks.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 350 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: The percentage of households with an annual income of more [#permalink] New post 03 May 2014, 01:18
goodyear2013 wrote:

The premise says: % of households with A.Income of more than 40k is higher than in MC than in any others, implying that 1: there may be at least 1 household in MC with a.income more than 60k, and 2: there may be NO household in MC of more than 60k
A. NO household in MC has A.income of more than 60k, ==> can not be PROPERLY concluded on that basis

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: The percentage of households with an annual income of more [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 22:08
I too totally agree B is the official answer because in order to have an average annual income of >40,000$, some households can fall under 40,000 to 60,000$ category.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: The percentage of households with an annual income of more [#permalink] New post 06 May 2014, 00:24
B is the correct answer! I met it in the OG 13th and Im sure that the correct one is B, NOT C
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The percentage of households with an annual income of more [#permalink] New post 06 May 2014, 05:26
nhanqtvn wrote:
B is the correct answer! I met it in the OG 13th and Im sure that the correct one is B, NOT C

everyone is saying the answer is B but when i marked B as my answer the system gave C as the right one.
Can anyone check on this
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 585

Kudos [?]: 2376 [0], given: 32

Re: The percentage of households with an annual income of more [#permalink] New post 06 May 2014, 12:57
Expert's post
tyagigar wrote:
nhanqtvn wrote:

everyone is saying the answer is B but when i marked B as my answer the system gave C as the right one.
Can anyone check on this

Dear tyagigar,
I just changed the OA in the top entry to (B). I had said that in my post, the second on the page, but this brings everything on the page into consistency.

My friend, don't naively assume that questions on all GMAT Club are entered flawlessly with no absolutely errors. Anyone, ANYONE, can submit a question here. "Anyone" is an awfully big category --- someone who barely knows English, someone who has been awake for 30 hours, someone who is drunk, etc. Many people are quite careful, but some people entering questions make all kinds of mistakes --- spelling mistakes, missing sentences, missing diagrams, and yes, entering the wrong letter as the OA. Don't naively assume that the way it was entered by the first person is perfect. If everyone on the page, including experts, agrees that the answer is something else, that's a very good sign that the system, based on how the first person entered it, is not to be trusted.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: The percentage of households with an annual income of more   [#permalink] 06 May 2014, 12:57