Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:12

Hurry Up:

Last day of registration for Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The percentage of students at the college where I teach that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 48

Kudos [?]: 621 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
The percentage of students at the college where I teach that [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 00:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

22% (02:22) correct 77% (01:35) wrong based on 18 sessions
The percentage of students at the college where I teach that have managed to achieve the grade necessary to enter into university has increased since 1998. We may therefore conclude that the entrance standards of the universities have been dropping for the past few years.
Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument above?

A) The percentage of students from all the neighbouring colleges that achieve the grade necessary for university entrance has also increased.

B) The number of students in my college that achieved the entrance grade to university in 1998 was comparatively low.

C) A report issued by the Education Minister claims that the quality of degrees awarded by universities has remained consistently high since the mid 1990s.

D) The standard of education required for students entering the college where I teach has been raised consistently since 1999.

E) Some students have compared the entrance examination for their chosen university this year with the corresponding examination from 1998 and expressed the opinion that the latter was much harder.

Kindly provide some explanations.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: The percentage of students at the college [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 16:48
Ans : E.

"increased percentage" of students achieving the grade necessary to enter into university since 1998.
conclusion--> "the entrance standards of the universities have been dropping for the past few years."

in option E,its clearly stated "the entrance examination of university in 1998 compared to that of this year is much harder." and this strengthens the conslusion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: The percentage of students at the college [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 01:41
A.
Other colleges also have increased their percentages. That would mean that admission is getting easier for everyone. Hence, the entrance standards must have dropped.

Not E, because it concerns a few students. Their opinion would not contribute much to a general trend.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 6

Re: The percentage of students at the college [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 11:06
my pick is (A)

If the entrance standards of universities have been dropping from last few years then the entrance exams should have become less harder (easier) in last few years. E says the opposite.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The percentage of students at the college [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 11:29
Choice A is the correct answer. Choice E shows only what is indicated by a few "..some students".
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 311

CAT Tests
Re: The percentage of students at the college [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 18:05
Its between A&E

I feel E is just re phrasing the conclusion....

SO go with A

One Final Try.......

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 48

Kudos [?]: 621 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: The percentage of students at the college [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 07:55
OA is A.

The conclusion in generalized. If %, for other colleges, has also increased that means that admission is getting easier for everyone.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: The percentage of students at the college [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2010, 11:33
But "all the neighboring colleges" may not be all the colleges from which students are entering in university. Maybe these neighboring college students have worked harder and thus there percentage has increased.
I think there is still doubt.

If you like my post, shower kudos :)

Believe that something extraordinary is possible

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Re: The percentage of students at the college [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 08:13
why not D?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: The percentage of students at the college [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 09:33
I fell for E, at first glance I didn't notice the word "UniversitieS" in the conclusion, I thought it was just his university.
E is comparing only one university, which the students applied to, but we need to support the argument that all the universities have dropped their standards.
good question

Nanquam Fractum

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

CAT Tests
Re: The percentage of students at the college [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 12:24
I went for E too
but it seems right AC is A.
E might be challenged by the use of SOME
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: The percentage of students at the college [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 13:50
I was confused between A and B. Why not B? any explanations.

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: The percentage of students at the college [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 00:50
Dreamy wrote:
I was confused between A and B. Why not B? any explanations.

B weakens the argument, it doesn't support it
the author says that grades started to increase in 1998, in B it says that grades were dropping in 1998, hence the standards were not low in 1998
make sense?

Nanquam Fractum

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: The percentage of students at the college [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 05:36
between A & E.. A is the best because it uses "percentage" vs. E uses "some"
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: The percentage of students at the college [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 22:06
Got confused with E and A.
The some students has been the negative point for E
But in A, we are considering the percentage of other college students has also increased.

So A is correct.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 10

Re: The percentage of students at the college [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 08:49
I think its E.

A says : "The percentage of students from all the neighbouring colleges that achieve the grade necessary for university entrance has also increased". It does not mean that the university standards have decreased, in - fact it might simply mean that the level of students in neighbouring colleges might have improved since 1998.

E clearly talks about an entrance exam and some students have tested both the exams and have found that the 1998 test was tougher.

As far the argument about "some" is concerned, there is no reason to believe that the sample of students who took both the tests was biased.

I agree that E would have been clear winner had choice E clearly mentioned that the sample of students who took both the tests was representative, still, I would think this is the most suitable option.

OA and OE please.
Re: The percentage of students at the college   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2011, 08:49