Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

In future, what kind of articles by e-GMAT would you prefer

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [40]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [3]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [3]
Send PM
Re: The Peril of Ignoring the Non-Underlined Portion [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
You have touched my weakest spot with this Question :)

But I can't claim the credit to answer it correctly as I have seen it numerous times. :|

The principal difficulty faced in these type of question is getting the components of the main list and sub list

For example, the below sentence has 3 events.
1) turned the tide of English victories in her country
2) liberating the city of Orleans
3) persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne

Thankfully this Q has only last one underlined. But can't expect Q to lucky each time. right... :)

Anyway, 2) is dependent on 1). Hence 2) is modifier.
1) and 3) seem to independent, hence should be made parallel. (Toughest step to decipher in other Qs, at least for me)

Once we know the above the other things will become easy.

Q for reference
-------------------------
Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, turned the tide of English victories in her country by liberating the city of Orleans and she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.
(A) she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne
(B) persuaded Charles VII of France in claiming his throne
(C) persuading that the throne be claimed by Charles VII of France
(D) persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne
(E) persuading that Charles VII of France should claim the throne

Meaning
----------------
Joan of Arc, (Main Subject)
a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, (modifier ignore)

(1) turned the tide of English victories in her country

(2)by liberating the city of Orleans

and
(3) she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.

Error Analysis
---------------------
Since, (1) should be parallel to (3)
Errors:
a) she not reqd
b) should start with persuaded

POE
---------
between B & D, B seems to change the meaning (it seems to suggest that persuasion is not done to claim the throne, rather for claiming it)

Hence D seems to be the best one out of the lot.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Really awesome article. I do rush sometimes and miss the point, especially when doing a test. I vote for the video format. This is so much easier than reading.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
soumens wrote:
The principal difficulty faced in these type of question is getting the components of the main list and sub list

For example, the below sentence has 3 events.
1) turned the tide of English victories in her country
2) liberating the city of Orleans
3) persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne

Thankfully this Q has only last one underlined. But can't expect Q to lucky each time. right... :)

Anyway, 2) is dependent on 1). Hence 2) is modifier.
1) and 3) seem to independent, hence should be made parallel. (Toughest step to decipher in other Qs, at least for me)

Once we know the above the other things will become easy.

@soumens, I must congratulate you on your thought process. As I read your explanation here, I felt that the structured process for approaching SC is now engrained in your mind. (Pardon my comment if you always approached SC in this manner). The way you have explained this question tells THE MOST IMPORTANT thing about SC - once you understand the meaning of the sentence, figuring out the correct answer becomes easy. This is exactly what you did here - you understood the meaning and logical linkages among various elements - in this case a list. And then you figured out the errors and selected the answer.

Now imagine what would have happened, if someone under the pressure of time did not pay attention to the complete sentence. He would have not have found anything wrong with the original choice and hence finding the right answer would have become a difficult task.

So continue applying your holistic approach to SC - always start with the meaning of the COMPLETE SENTENCE!

Quote:

If you wish, you may post a question or two in which you found such identification tricky. :)

Regards,

Payal
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nitin2582 wrote:
Really awesome article. I do rush sometimes and miss the point, especially when doing a test. I vote for the video format. This is so much easier than reading.

Thanks for your appreciation @nitin2582. Please do not rush. Follow a structured approach to solving SC questions. I would suggest you try your hand on the questions in this thread and solve them using a step by step process.

Regards
- Payal
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [2]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nitin2582 wrote:

Dear e-GMAT Administrators,

I have certain comments on the highlighted text. The Audio-Visual format in indeed the best for presenting the article, however i think it may not be useful for everyone. The format requires the user to have a PC in his/her studyroom with fast internet connection and the headset while the traditional format requires only internet connected PC (not necessarily in study room).

When e-GMAT looks at its Indian customer base, it might be familiar with the fact that every GMAT aspirant (and infact many) in india does not have the luxury to have all these facilities at his study place. He/she, at present, might be downloading your articles from office computers, cyber cafes, college computers etc., taking printouts of those and reviewing later while studying at home or at his study place - I used to do this few months back but how have installed all these things at home and so can enjoy your great articles in any format. Such a huge group would directly be excluded from the beneficiary list of your valuable and informative articles.

So in my opinion audio/visual format is though the best for everyone may not suitable for everyone. I would rather suggest you to present the articles in both formats.
I would like to congratulate e-GMAT team for creating the great articles. I have gone thru many of them and found extremely informative.

Thanks and Regards,

Abhijit
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Narenn,

Thank you for chiming in. First of all, this is not the end of text based articles. We will continue to write those. However, with this article, our goal was/is to combine the convenience of an audio visual article with that of the portability of text. One feedback that we received was that content delivered visually is 4-5X more effective than that delivered textually. Here are a few features of this article:

1. This article is created in HTML5 format - a format that plays really well on phones, tablets, and PCs.
2. This article uses object based construction. In layman terms, it is HD, yet can be can be streamed on a 128 kbps connection. By comparison, the bit rate of 720 P HD videos is ~2Mbps. This means, you can easily view this view this video on a smartphone.

I do understand that a good number of folks may not have a computer, however a good # of people who are preparing for GMAT will probably get a tablet/smartphone. I understand that Android tablets cost ~$150 in India.

Once again, this is not the end of the text based era, just the beginning of a new one, hopefully one in which customers come out as eventual beneficiaries.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
egmat wrote:
Dear Narenn,

Thank you for chiming in. First of all, this is not the end of text based articles. We will continue to write those. However, with this article, our goal was/is to combine the convenience of an audio visual article with that of the portability of text. One feedback that we received was that content delivered visually is 4-5X more effective than that delivered textually. Here are a few features of this article:

1. This article is created in HTML5 format - a format that plays really well on phones, tablets, and PCs.
2. This article uses object based construction. In layman terms, it is HD, yet can be can be streamed on a 128 kbps connection. By comparison, the bit rate of 720 P HD videos is ~2Mbps. This means, you can easily view this view this video on a smartphone.

I do understand that a good number of folks may not have a computer, however a good # of people who are preparing for GMAT will probably get a tablet/smartphone. I understand that Android tablets cost ~$150 in India.

Once again, this is not the end of the text based era, just the beginning of a new one, hopefully one in which customers come out as eventual beneficiaries.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

Dear Rajat,

This will really be a wise decision - joining hands with new technology/trends while maintaining current process - and will benefit everyone.

Regards,

Abhijit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Payal,

Thanks a lot for your kind words. It is great to get appreciation, especially from own instructor. Now I can even boast among my friends "See I told you guys I am doing it the right way. Even Payal agrees." :-D
But don't congratulate me yet. Still have to undergo the acid test of GMAT and this Q was known one.

U kidding me?? I was pathetic in SC before joining e-gmat. :roll:

Oh and BTW as for the thought process, I just try to imitate what you or Shraddha do in the live sessions in your slides. 8-)
First, read the complete sentence and try to get the meaning.
Second, divide the sentence in known components (Subject, Verb, Modifier etc.) as you do by coloring or underlining in your slides. Gett rid of the fluff.
Third, look inside the modifiers for long sentences. Try to make sense out of sentence.
Fourth, list as many errors as possible.
Lastly, Focus on underlined part and POE.

Agreed, the perils of ignoring non underlined can indeed be grave.

Consider following example which I encountered today:

Market research has shown that the newest model of N-Phone gained widespread popularity not due to technical superiority but through seamless and intuitive design.
A) gained widespread popularity not due to technical superiority but through seamless
B) gained widespread popularity not only due to technical superiority but also through seamless

Will skip other options as I could eliminate it.

Pressed for time, I spotted not only X but also Y idiom and marked B with a triumphant feeling that I could see behind the traps which GMAC has set for me. Tricky Parallelism, of course. right. My expression changed soon though.

Explanation of B read "Choice B is not the correct answer. This changes the meaning of the sentence." :evil:

Of course it changed the meaning of whole sentence. It would have been instantly felt if I had read the whole sentence. :x

Lesson learnt: It's better to be slow than be wrong. :|
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Re: e-GMAT's Best Practices for SC - Practice 1 [#permalink]
Really awesome presentation.. 5 stars!! The audio visual stuff makes this so simple. There are many times when we make mistskes. I hope this will help me improve. Do you ahve other such content
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Thanks Soumen for your appreciation.

In addition to the e-GMAT questions in the post above, you can also try your hand on this Official problem. This is OG13#127.

Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, turned the tide of English victories in her country by liberating the city of Orleans and she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.
(A) she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne
(B) persuaded Charles VII of France in claiming his throne
(C) persuading that the throne be claimed by Charles VII of France
(D) persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne
(E) persuading that Charles VII of France should claim the throne

Would look forward to your explanation for this one.

Also take a second to answer the poll question above.

- Regards,
Payal

Payal-Pretty easy one from your bakery...:) OA : D

Please give us some challenging 700+ questions...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Great PPT and Questions. The interactive format is really helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello,

I just tried the attached interactive video and it does not work.

Looking forward to checking it out.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Send PM
shahriar9 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks

Me too!
The video does not work for me either
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618795 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Expert Reply
jcerdae wrote:
shahriar9 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks

Me too!
The video does not work for me either

Just checked. It works for me. Try to reload couple of times. Or maybe you are missing video player?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts