Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The period when the great painted caves at Lascaux and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 65

The period when the great painted caves at Lascaux and [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 23:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (01:29) correct 17% (00:38) wrong based on 30 sessions
The period when the great painted caves at Lascaux and Altamira were occupied by Upper Paleolithic people has been established by carbon-14 dating, but what is much more difficult to determine are the reason for their decoration, the use to which primitive people put the caves, and the meaning of the magnificently depicted animals.

(A) has been established by carbon-14 dating, but what is much more difficult to determine are
(B) has been established by carbon-14 dating, but what is much more difficult to determine is
(C) have been established by carbon-14 dating, but what is much more difficult to determine is
(D) have been established by carbon-14 dating, but what is much more difficult to determine are
(E) are established by carbon-14 dating, but that which is much more difficult to determine is
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Last edited by scheol79 on 05 Nov 2010, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1702 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Agreement. [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 00:44
Expert's post
Essentially this passage has two clauses and two subjects 1. [highlight]The period[/highlight]and 2 [highlight]the reason.[/highlight] Both are singluar. Hence the period entails the singular - [highlight]has[/highlight]– and the reason entails – [highlight]is[/highlight]- . B is the only choice that befits this norm.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Re: Agreement. [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 01:01
daagh wrote:
Essentially this passage has two clauses and two subjects 1. [highlight]The period[/highlight]and 2 [highlight]the reason.[/highlight] Both are singluar. Hence the period entails the singular - [highlight]has[/highlight]– and the reason entails – [highlight]is[/highlight]- . B is the only choice that befits this norm.

Why do you think the reason alone is the subject for the second clause?

If you think that the part after is or are is the subject, wouldn't the subject be the reason, the use, and the meaning?

A, B, and C: collective nouns which are plural.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1702 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Agreement. [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 07:04
Expert's post
In that case, it will not be - what is much more difficult to determine - but -what are much more difficult to determine - There is no choice that says what are much more difficult to determine-Hence the question of a compound plural subject for the second part is ruled out.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Re: Agreement. [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 08:13
daagh wrote:
In that case, it will not be - what is much more difficult to determine - but -what are much more difficult to determine - There is no choice that says what are much more difficult to determine-Hence the question of a compound plural subject for the second part is ruled out.

B is the answer.

But I'm afraid that your reasoning is flawed.

Second clause requires 'is' simply because subject phrase 'what is ~' is considered singular.

ex) Whatever they want to do is fine with me. MGMAT pg42.

I wasn't firm on the the concept, but after reading Ron's post on MGMAT forum I'm convinced that the object part has nothing to do with the verb form.

I don't want to quote Ron word by word, so here's the link. Let me know if you think otherwise.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pai ... 94-15.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: Agreement. [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 13:46
S-V agreement..
S: The period is singular.......verb "has" and "is" need to be used.
hence B
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Agreement. [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 18:52
Two subjects here
1) Period
2) What is much more difficult to determine

Ans is B

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

SVP
SVP
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The period when the great painted caves at Lascaux and [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2014, 20:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The period when the great painted caves at Lascaux and   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2014, 20:22