Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 19:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The plan - 690 to something worthy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

The plan - 690 to something worthy [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 13:47
Hi ,

I took the GMAT a few years ago and got a 690. I am planning to join a top 20 B school this year and since the score isn't good enough , I have decided to retake the test. I would like to have a target score of 730.

While my GMAT prep 1 gave me a score of 670 (which I raced thru with lots of time to spare), Kaplan gave me a 590 ( where I was running out of time). I was admittedly shocked.

For the last one month , I have been going through the OG 11 , MGMAT guides and PowerScore CR. I took a few practice tests as well.
When I go through the OG guides my hit rate with CR is around 90 - 92 %. I guess the investment on PowerScore was worth it.

During my last attempt I went thru the SC guide from MGMAT and trusted my ear for most of the questions. However when I take the diagnostic tests or any other tests online , my hit rate seems to hover around 60 - 70 %. This is pretty bad. The last time I took the test , my strategy was

1. Read the question
2. Guess an answer
3. Quickly scan and see if there is matching one. If there is , scan the other choices , use the SC skills learnt from MGMAT and eliminate.

I feel it somehow worked last time , but is failing miserably now. I just have a month to go before my exams. How can I improve in this section. I am used to trusting my ears and find it difficult to unlearn this habit. Moreover I cant imagine remembering 300 + idioms. Is there a better structured strategy which I can adopt and improve my hit rate to 90 % ?

My score in quants seems to be around 44 - 48 . If I need to improve from here , could anyone suggest some sources.

Sorry for the long post. I am just trying to assess how much of an improvement I can expect in the next 30 days and how to achieve it. Any good tips will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Mazerath
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 75 [1] , given: 37

Re: The plan - 690 to something worthy [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 15:14
This post received
KUDOS
First, most people agree that Kaplan gives lower scores and is harder in unique ways to convince people to buy the program. So, as much as you can, focus on MGMAT, Knewton, Veritas, and most of all, GMAP Prep.

Quant: If you're scoring around 45 consistently, then the GMAT Club Tests are a good tool to try to get to the next level (~49-50).

Verbal: In regards to your specific SC strategy, that sounds to me like a time wasting endeavor. There are many, many ways to correct an erroneous sentence. It's usually quicker and more effective to just go straight to POE. Find errors in sentences and eliminate them until you have only one remaining. Double check that it is error-free, and you have the right answer.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 6

Re: The plan - 690 to something worthy [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 08:10
Expert's post
Mazerath,

I agree with vandygrad11, the SC approach is not efficient. There can be many ways to "guess" at what the correct response is. In real-time, you need to spot what "type" of SC question it is..then from that type...scan the answer choices to eliminate the incorrect ones. The structure is the most important when approaching SC. Things that "sound" right in vernacular english do not necessarily translate directly for written english. Use some efficient thought process and you'll see your percentage go up.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: The plan - 690 to something worthy   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2012, 08:10