Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jun 2016, 11:32
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 751
Location: Dallas, Texas
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 0

The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2006, 20:27
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (02:16) correct 42% (01:32) wrong based on 241 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by counting the number of internal rings in its trunk is generally true. However, to help regulate the internal temperature of the tree, the outermost layers of wood of the Brazilian ash often peel away when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit, leaving the tree with fewer rings than it would otherwise have. So if the temperature in the Brazilian ash's environment never exceeded 95 degrees Fahrenheit, its rings would be a reliable measure of the tree's age.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?
(A) The growth of new rings in a tree is not a function of levels of precipitation.
(B) Only the Brazilian ash loses rings because of excessive heat.
(C) Only one day of temperatures above 95 degrees Fahrenheit is needed to cause the Brazilian ash to lose a ring.
(D) The internal rings of all trees are of uniform thickness.
(E) The number of rings that will be lost when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit is not predictable
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."


Last edited by Nevernevergiveup on 24 Apr 2016, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
added OA
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2006
Posts: 532
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2006, 20:53
Quote:
The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by counting the number of internal rings in its trunk is generally true. However, to help regulate the internal temperature of the tree, the outermost layers of wood of the Brazilian ash often peel away when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit, leaving the tree with fewer rings than it would otherwise have. So if the temperature in the Brazilian ash's environment never exceeded 95 degrees Fahrenheit, its rings would be a reliable measure of the tree's age.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?
(A) The growth of new rings in a tree is not a function of levels of precipitation.
(B) Only the Brazilian ash loses rings because of excessive heat.
(C) Only one day of temperatures above 95 degrees Fahrenheit is needed to cause the Brazilian ash to lose a ring.
(D) The internal rings of all trees are of uniform thickness.
(E) The number of rings that will be lost when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit is not predictable

No mention is made of ring thickness. D is out.

We are asked "So if the temperature in the Brazilian ash's environment never exceeded 95 degrees Fahrenheit, its rings would be a reliable measure of the tree's age?" C and E discuss the environment temperature exceeding 95 degrees. C and E are out.

If B had said something like "The Brazilian Ash is representative of all trees" I'd go with B. B, as it's stated, weakens the argument. B is out.

I'd have to go with A. .... me thinks
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Posts: 242
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2006, 20:59
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by counting the number of internal rings in its trunk is generally true. However, to help regulate the internal temperature of the tree, the outermost layers of wood of the Brazilian ash often peel away when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit, leaving the tree with fewer rings than it would otherwise have. So if the temperature in the Brazilian ash's environment never exceeded 95 degrees Fahrenheit, its rings would be a reliable measure of the tree's age.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?
(A) The growth of new rings in a tree is not a function of levels of precipitation.
(B) Only the Brazilian ash loses rings because of excessive heat.
(C) Only one day of temperatures above 95 degrees Fahrenheit is needed to cause the Brazilian ash to lose a ring.
(D) The internal rings of all trees are of uniform thickness.
(E) The number of rings that will be lost when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit is not predictable


I am somewhere among A, C and E

In E: Probably it does not matter whether we know the the number of rings lost when temperature exceeds 95 degrees. If we knew, say, teh tree loses 1 ring when the temp exceeds 95 degrees. we do not know how many days was the temperature over 95 degrees during the tree's lifetime (since we do not know tree's ag eto begin with)

A: I don't think we are really concerned about how the rings grow. The concern is how the rings can decrease

By POE, C seems to be the choice though it is a little strong because of the usage of only.

The information in the paragraph says: So if the temperature in the Brazilian ash's environment never exceeded 95 degrees Fahrenheit, its rings would be a reliable measure of the tree's age. Usage of never seems to indicate that if the temperature is over 95 degrees on even 1 day, then the tree should at least lose 1 ring.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2006
Posts: 152
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2006, 21:00
I say E

The passage says that <95 degree, the rings would be a reliable measure. It must have assumed E
_________________

livin in a prison island...

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1559
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 1

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2006, 23:04
I like A.

The passage says that the number of rings is affected by temperature and that if the tempearatures do not reach the 95 deg, then the rings are an accurate measure of the life of the tree.

This will be true only if there are no other factors that affect ring growth/ring shed.

If A (The growth of new rings in a tree is not a function of levels of precipitation)is false, then this argument will not hold water. So A has to be true.

So A must be the assumption.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Posts: 898
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 0

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2006, 03:16
I say E...

A is out of scope.....


Argument says that it is impossible to determine the age of the Brazilian ash if the temperature exceeds 95 F, because the tree peels away some layers of wood... And the number of layers of wood is an indication of age....

Thus it is assumed that there is no way to calculate the number of layers the tree will loose in high temperatures....
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 921
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2006, 04:06
Another E for me. The author states that the Brazilian ash age can be reliably measured when temperature never went above 95, implying that it cannot be reliably measured otherwise.

Editing:

I am now going towards A. The conclusion says: So if the temperature in the Brazilian ash's environment never exceeded 95 degrees Fahrenheit, its rings would be a reliable measure of the tree's age.

The conclusion is all about how reliable it is to estimate age when temp is below 95. So A comes up as an assumption.

I am learning (slowly) not to look into what the author is trying to imply, or what I think the author is trying to imply, but take the sentence at face value.

Last edited by mbagal1 on 08 Dec 2006, 11:49, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2005
Posts: 392
Location: Boston, MA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2006, 07:40
Quote:
I like A.

The passage says that the number of rings is affected by temperature and that if the tempearatures do not reach the 95 deg, then the rings are an accurate measure of the life of the tree.

This will be true only if there are no other factors that affect ring growth/ring shed.

If A (The growth of new rings in a tree is not a function of levels of precipitation)is false, then this argument will not hold water. So A has to be true.

So A must be the assumption.


exactly my thoughts, ncprasad. A for me too.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 751
Location: Dallas, Texas
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 0

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2006, 19:17
hmmm .... 6/6 split between A and E ... I was with E but the OA is A.
_________________

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2006
Posts: 532
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2006, 22:08
Swagatalakshmi,

Can we have the OR (official reasoning)?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 751
Location: Dallas, Texas
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 0

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2006, 22:40
I don't have OE.
_________________

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2243
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 0

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2006, 22:50
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by counting the number of internal rings in its trunk is generally true. However, to help regulate the internal temperature of the tree, the outermost layers of wood of the Brazilian ash often peel away when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit, leaving the tree with fewer rings than it would otherwise have. So if the temperature in the Brazilian ash's environment never exceeded 95 degrees Fahrenheit, its rings would be a reliable measure of the tree's age.

Argument1: TreeAge<=NumberOfRings
Argument2: If Temp>95, TreeAge<=NumberOfRings
Conclusion: If Temp<=95, TreeAge=NumberOfRings

Assumption needed would be there is no other factors that will cause less number of rings other than temp>95.

Compare this to the following options, A is remotely possible because it talks about precipitation not being a factor that determines number of rings. B through E are irrelevent. A isn't the best answer, in my opinion, but is the only possible one in the choices given.
_________________

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2007, 12:12
I'm going with F, none of the above.

I have thought about this question for about a half hour now, and F is my final answer.

The conclusion states that the tree's age can be reliably determined by the rings. An approiate assumption would be:
The "Brazilian ash" grows at a rate that is consistent with other trees, whose age can be determined by the number of rings in it's trunk".

Bringing precipitation into the equation is out of scope.

IMO, this is a garbage question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2006
Posts: 267
Location: California
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 0

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2007, 14:25
also, if u apply the idea of negation.. E comes out good.. if you can predict rings lost due to temp, then arguments does not hold...

i think A is talking about the growth of rings, not the decrease.. so it should anyways not work..

OA is wrong..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2005
Posts: 392
Location: Boston, MA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2007, 10:49
I disagree. I stand by A, here's why:

The arguments conclusion is that if the temperature NEVER gets above 95 degrees then the number of rings is an accurace prediction of the tree's age.

(E) says that:
The number of rings that will be lost when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit is not predictable

No one cares about what happens when the temp gets over 95 degrees, the arguments scope is only below 95 degrees.

A is right because if there is another factor that the author did not consider in predicting the tree's age -- PRECIPITATION -- then the argument falls apart and this has to be our assumption.

Its not a great question IMO, but I stick to my guns with A.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Posts: 904
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 0

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2007, 12:57
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by counting the number of internal rings in its trunk is generally true. However, to help regulate the internal temperature of the tree, the outermost layers of wood of the Brazilian ash often peel away when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit, leaving the tree with fewer rings than it would otherwise have. So if the temperature in the Brazilian ash's environment never exceeded 95 degrees Fahrenheit, its rings would be a reliable measure of the tree's age.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?

(A) The growth of new rings in a tree is not a function of levels of precipitation.
(B) Only the Brazilian ash loses rings because of excessive heat.
(C) Only one day of temperatures above 95 degrees Fahrenheit is needed to cause the Brazilian ash to lose a ring.
(D) The internal rings of all trees are of uniform thickness.
(E) The number of rings that will be lost when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit is not predictable


A and E both seem correct but still a bit confusing........

A. If more percipatation => more rings. then age of the tree according to the rings is misleading because the tree has one ring/year. therefore, percipatation shouldnot cause to have more rings.

E. if we know the number of rings lost due to the tempreture that exceeds 95 degrees fahrenheight, then still we can identify the age of the tree and the lost rings have no effect in finding the age of the tree. so if temp>95 and we donot know the lost rings, it is not possible to find the age of the tree. otherwise, yes. the passage says that if there were no temp >95, the no of rings are reliable measure of tree's age. even if there were temp>95 and we donot know the lost rings because of temp>95, then the no of rings are not reasonable measure of the tree's age.
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 734
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 4

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2007, 06:09
If the number of rings that will be lost when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit is predictable, then tree's age can be determined by counting the number of internal rings.

Hence, I think the anwer is E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Nov 2006
Posts: 350
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2007, 09:34
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by counting the number of internal rings in its trunk is generally true. However, to help regulate the internal temperature of the tree, the outermost layers of wood of the Brazilian ash often peel away when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit, leaving the tree with fewer rings than it would otherwise have. So if the temperature in the Brazilian ash's environment never exceeded 95 degrees Fahrenheit, its rings would be a reliable measure of the tree's age.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?
(A) The growth of new rings in a tree is not a function of levels of precipitation.
(B) Only the Brazilian ash loses rings because of excessive heat.
(C) Only one day of temperatures above 95 degrees Fahrenheit is needed to cause the Brazilian ash to lose a ring.
(D) The internal rings of all trees are of uniform thickness.
(E) The number of rings that will be lost when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit is not predictable


The key concept in the conclusion is reliable measure given the temperature doesn´t exceed 95 F. Which is the only answer choice that addresses it? A. E is the 2nd best, although it is out of scope bc it deals w/ an scenario not contemplated in the conclusion (T > 95 F).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Nov 2006
Posts: 350
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2007, 09:35
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by counting the number of internal rings in its trunk is generally true. However, to help regulate the internal temperature of the tree, the outermost layers of wood of the Brazilian ash often peel away when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit, leaving the tree with fewer rings than it would otherwise have. So if the temperature in the Brazilian ash's environment never exceeded 95 degrees Fahrenheit, its rings would be a reliable measure of the tree's age.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?
(A) The growth of new rings in a tree is not a function of levels of precipitation.
(B) Only the Brazilian ash loses rings because of excessive heat.
(C) Only one day of temperatures above 95 degrees Fahrenheit is needed to cause the Brazilian ash to lose a ring.
(D) The internal rings of all trees are of uniform thickness.
(E) The number of rings that will be lost when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit is not predictable


The key concept in the conclusion is reliable measure given the temperature doesn´t exceed 95 F. Which is the only answer choice that addresses it? A. E is the 2nd best, although it is out of scope bc it deals w/ an scenario not contemplated in the conclusion (T > 95 F).
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Posts: 73
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2007, 16:17
ggarr wrote:
Swagatalakshmi,

Can we have the OR (official reasoning)?


for all who are interested: here is OR for OA:

(E) CORRECT. The conclusion is that the rings will be a reliable measure only if the temperature never exceeds 95 degrees. This is true only if there is no way to predict how many rings would be lost when the temperature does exceed 95 degrees. (If it were possible to predict this, one might be able to assess the age of a tree using its rings even if the temperature had exceeded 95 degrees.)

however i also think this question is strange... i also can live with answer choice C since the author says "never exceeds 95 degrees", i.e. there is an assumption that an exceeding at one day is enough...
Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2007, 16:17

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 27 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic CR Revision: The popular notion that a tree’s age can be determined by souvik101990 3 01 Feb 2016, 00:03
12 Experts publish their posts in the topic A tree's age can be determined by counting the souvik101990 8 05 Apr 2015, 08:15
Experts publish their posts in the topic Assumption Revision: The popular notion that a tree’s age souvik101990 3 22 Feb 2015, 21:25
13 The popular notion that a tree s age can be determined by ksp 17 24 Nov 2011, 01:53
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by hogann 37 13 Oct 2009, 06:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.