Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 21:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuesday Q5 - Tree Rings [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 21:20
IMO E

hogann wrote:
The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by counting the number of internal rings in its trunk is generally true. However, to help regulate the internal temperature of the tree, the outermost layers of wood of the Brazilian ash often peel away when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit, leaving the tree with fewer rings than it would otherwise have. So only if the temperature in the Brazilian ash's environment never exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit will its rings be a reliable measure of the tree's age.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?

A. The growth of new rings in a tree is not a function of levels of precipitation. - out of scope to some extent as we are not given any information on precipitation. INCORRECT
B. Only the Brazilian ash loses rings because of excessive heat. - So what?? Anyways we are supposed to talk about brazilian ash tree only. INCORRECT
C. Only one day of temperatures above 95 degrees Fahrenheit is needed to cause the Brazilian ash to lose a ring.- again I would ask the same question - so what?? We are not concerned about for how much time certain temperature must remain rather we are concerned about the relationship between the temperature and the loss of rings. INCORRECT
D. The internal rings of all trees are of uniform thickness. - again out of scope. INCORRECT
E. The number of rings that will be lost when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit is not predictable - An assumption is something which makes an argument complete. If the assumption were absent, the argument will fall apart. Here the conclusion is that only if temperature never exceeds 95 degrees, the age of tree will be predictable. What if the temperature also increases and still we are able to predict the age. The conclusion will not hold true in that case. Hence CORRECT

OA to come

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuesday Q5 - Tree Rings [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 08:00
hogann wrote:
The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by counting the number of internal rings in its trunk is generally true. However, to help regulate the internal temperature of the tree, the outermost layers of wood of the Brazilian ash often peel away when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit, leaving the tree with fewer rings than it would otherwise have. So only if the temperature in the Brazilian ash's environment never exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit will its rings be a reliable measure of the tree's age.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?

A. The growth of new rings in a tree is not a function of levels of precipitation.
B. Only the Brazilian ash loses rings because of excessive heat.
C. Only one day of temperatures above 95 degrees Fahrenheit is needed to cause the Brazilian ash to lose a ring.
D. The internal rings of all trees are of uniform thickness.
E. The number of rings that will be lost when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit is not predictable

OA to come

OA is E

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Tuesday Q5 - Tree Rings [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 23:08
last sentence of the argument doesnt sound correct to me.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 01:05
clearly E

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 10:51
E
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 09:11
+ 1 E

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 00:56
+1 for E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Tuesday Q5 - Tree Rings [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 02:36
pual wrote:
I will choose "A"

Going with PoE

Round 1
A - This can be right
B - This is being clearly stated in the argument and is therefore not an assumption
C - This can be right
D - This is not at al relevant to the premise or the conclusion
E - This has also been stated in the argument and should therefore not be an assumption

Round 2
We are left with A and C.
"A" - "A" is more appropriate because it affects the conclusion directly, if this is the assumption only then conclusion can be true.
"C" - for how long the temprature should stay at 95 for the ring to shed is no where being mentioned either in the premise or in conclusion..it therefore seems un-related.

Well,

I think assumption is always not that easy, because, unlike strengthening questions, assumptions seldom uses outside info.

Also, negation is not a fool-proof process, because, even negating choices that are outside scope can be misleading.
For ex, we are concerned only about the heating aspect here, and its effect on the no. of rings.
However, negating A will also imply that, number of rings is not predictable(since precipitation may increase no. of rings when you negate A).
However, melting is beyond scope here and assumptions clarify the gap between prem. and concl. only.
Thanks,
Raghu
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 31

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 04:51
straight E, rest are meaningless options

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 05:30
IMO E...

if we are ble to predict the # of rings lost due to high temparature, then we will able to predict the age of the tree.

negating E clearly makes the conclusion invalid.. hence E

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 17:17
+1 E

If it is possible to determine how many rings are lost after an increase in the temperature, it would be possible to determine the age of the tree.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 09:42
IMO E........

8-) :lol:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 51

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 16:26
Nice explanation from..
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/mgm ... t3915.html

Conclusion: “ONLY if the temp in the Brazilian ash’s environment NEVER exceeds 95 degree F will its rings be a RELIABLE measure of the tree’s age.”

If we truly depend on a certain assumption to reach this conclusion, the conclusion should fall apart when we remove or negate the assumption.

Negate (A): The growth of new rings IS a function of precipitation levels.
Result: We could still conclude that the temp needs to stay below 95 degrees in order to use the rings as a measure. Thus, (A) is not an assumption upon which we really rely.

As you note, (A) is an appealing answer: It sure would be nice to know that there are not even more factors affecting the growth of rings. But there is a big difference between a nice-to-know assumption and an assumption-on-which-the-argument-depends. The GMAT always wants the latter!

Negate (E): The number of rings lost when temp exceeds 95 degrees IS predictable.
Result: We can no longer assert that the ONLY way to use the rings to reliably determine age is if the temps stay below 95. You are correct that we would need to know the complete temperature records and number of rings lost as a function of temp, but it would at least be possible to use the rings to determine age. The “only” in the conclusion is really the key word.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 01:50
at first was confused with A and E...
as
AThe growth of new rings in a tree is not a function of levels of precipitation.
B Only the Brazilian ash loses rings because of excessive heat. --not relevant...with conclusion..
C Only one day of temperatures above 95 degrees Fahrenheit is needed to cause the Brazilian ash to lose a ring. --again irrelevant....
D The internal rings of all trees are of uniform thickness. --out of scope...
E The number of rings that will be lost when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit is not predictable.

but ..negation of E " The number of rings that will be lost when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit is predictable." hurts the conclusion ..therefore i went with E...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 06:49
This post received
KUDOS
The central point of the passage is to determine the age of the Brazilian ash trees.

Taking Option E - The number of rings that will be lost when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit is not predictable

If we negate the above statement, we can rephrase it as follows:

The number of rings that will be lost when the temperature exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit is predictable.

Now if in a year, the temperature has exceeded 95 degrees, then we would know the number of rings the tree would lose before hand. If we would like to determine the age of the tree, then all we need to do is add the number of rings lost to the existing rings.

I hope my explanation makes sense. Would love to hear a different version which would help understand the problem in depth.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 08:08
I was between A and E. E is more specific and A is really covering a whole lot more than I would like the answer to be. So I chose E. :D
Re: The popular notion that a tree's age can be determined by   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2012, 08:08