Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The possibility that the value of stock A will increase is

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

The possibility that the value of stock A will increase is [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2005, 22:31
4.The possibility that the value of stock A will increase is 0.34 and the possibility that stock B will increase is 0.68.What is the biggest possibility that neither will happen?

Answer: 0.32


5.Integer n is a factor of integer p. Both n and p cannot be divided by 8.Is p/n odd?

1) p can divided by 4

2) n can divided by 4

Answer: B


If n is a positive integer, what is the hundreds digit of 30^n?

(1) 30^n > 1000.

(2) n is a multiple of 3.

Reference answer: D


. Two positive integers A and B have a least common multiple of 120. What is the greatest possible value of their common factor?

(a) 20

(b) 18

(c) 15

(d) 12

(e) 10

Reference answer: A,


33.N is a positive integer and smaller than 10,what is N?

(1) N is the tenths digit of 1/N.

(2) N is the hundredths digit of 1/N.

Reference answer: A


35. The sequence X1, X2, X3,..., Xn , is such that Xn=1/n - 1/(n+1),what is the sum of the first 100 terms of the sequence?

Reference answer: 100/101



38.On a number line, the points A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H distribute equidistantly from left to right. If A =2^6, D=2^8, H=?


. If x=10^100, x^x=?

Reference answer: [10^102]



64.If h (x) is the product of the integers from 1 to x, the least prime factor of h (100)+1 is in which of the following ranges?

2 to 10 10 to20 20 to 30 30 to 40 above 40

Reference answer: above 40


75.X=k^4, k is a positive integer and x is divisible by 32. When k is divided by 32, what is the remainder?
2 4 6
Reference answer: 4


85.What is the value of the integer n?
(1) n*(n+2)=15
(2) (n+2)^n=125


230.DS: If |X-2|=|Y-2|, X+Y=?
(1). X is not equal to Y
(2). X>2 and Y<2.
Answer: D


236.Is |z-1|>1?
1) |z-1|>1
2) |z|=1/3


286.In a sequence, the Nth item is described as Xn=(1/n) - 1/(n+1), what is the sum of the first 100 items of the sequence?

OA-->[100/101]

_________________

ALWAYS WITH YOU ,

ALMIGHTY1

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2005, 01:52
Quote:
4.The possibility that the value of stock A will increase is 0.34 and the possibility that stock B will increase is 0.68.What is the biggest possibility that neither will happen?

Answer: 0.32


0,34+0,68-both+neither=1

neither is biggest when both is biggest !

0,34+0,68-0,34+neither=1

neither=0,32

_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 1902
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PLz explain these.... [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2005, 02:12
almighty1 wrote:
5.Integer n is a factor of integer p. Both n and p cannot be divided by 8.Is p/n odd?

1) p can divided by 4

2) n can divided by 4

Answer: B



1. p=12, n=3 --->p/n=4, even -->answer no
p=12, n= 4 ---> p/n=3 , odd --->answer yes
----> insuff

2. n can be divided by 4-->n= 4k ( k is integer) ----> p= n*l = 4*k*l ( l is also integer) , since p is not divided by 8 ---> k*l can't be even, in other words, k*l must be odd---> both k AND l are odds.
p/n= 4kl/ 4k= l , since l is odd ---> p/n is odd--->answer yes.
---->suff
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 1902
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PLz explain these.... [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2005, 02:18
almighty1 wrote:

If n is a positive integer, what is the hundreds digit of 30^n?

(1) 30^n > 1000.

(2) n is a multiple of 3.

Reference answer: D




1. 30^n > 1000 >900 ----> n> 2 or n>=3 ---> n=3+r (r is positive integer or 0) --->
30^n = 30^ (3+r) = 27000* 30^r = N000 ( N stands for other digits rather than 100th and 10th and unit digit) ---> the hundreds digit of 30^n is 0--->suff

2. n is a positive integer and n is a multiple of 3 ----> n>=3 ---->similar to 1 ----> suff
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2005, 02:24
Quote:
Two positive integers A and B have a least common multiple of 120. What is the greatest possible value of their common factor?

(a) 20

(b) 18

(c) 15

(d) 12

(e) 10


to calc the LCM u have to take ALL primes of the 2 numbers in their highest degrees. to calc the HCF u have to take ONLY the COMMON factors of the 2 numbers in their lowest degrees. 120=2^3*3*5. all of these primes must be in both numbers A and B. the HCF is 120 ! thats not given ! the HCF of the given answers is 20 !

_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 1902
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PLz explain these.... [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2005, 02:31
almighty1 wrote:
33.N is a positive integer and smaller than 10,what is N?

(1) N is the tenths digit of 1/N.

(2) N is the hundredths digit of 1/N.

Reference answer: A



1. ----> 1/N= 0.Nabcd.... = N.abcd/10 ---> N*N.abcd... =10
----> N<= 3 coz if N>=4 --> N^2>10 . Since the statement says "tenth digit of 1/N" --> we eliminate N=1 ...check N=1,2 , we get N=3 is correct --->suff
2. N=3 --> 1/N= 0.33333... , this N=3 is ok
N=6 ----> 1/N= (1/3)/2= (0.3333....)/2= 0.1666666...... --> N=6 is also ok
---->insuff
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 1902
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PLz explain these.... [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2005, 02:38
almighty1 wrote:
230.DS: If |X-2|=|Y-2|, X+Y=?
(1). X is not equal to Y
(2). X>2 and Y<2.
Answer: D



|x-2|= |y-2| ---> x-2= y-2 OR x-2=2-y

1. since x<>y ----> the first case doesn't happen ---> x-2=2-y
---->x+y= 4 --->suff

2. x>2---> |x-2|= x-2
y<2----> |y-2| = 2-y
----> similar to 1 --->suff
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2005, 08:43
Quote:
230.DS: If |X-2|=|Y-2|, X+Y=?
(1). X is not equal to Y
(2). X>2 and Y<2.


this question seems to be wrong b/c u dont even need the stms to solve it=> |x-2|=|y-2|=> (x-2)^2=(y-2)^2 => x^2-y^2=4x-4y => x+y=4 ! sufficient to answer the question !

alternative approach:

1st case: x-2=y-2=>x-y=0
2nd case: -x+2=y-2=>x+y=4
3rd case: x-2=-y+2=> x+y=4
4th case: -x+2=-y+2=>y-x=0

...sufficient to answer the question !

_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.


Last edited by christoph on 04 Dec 2005, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Posts: 19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2005, 09:22
christoph wrote:
Quote:
Two positive integers A and B have a least common multiple of 120. What is the greatest possible value of their common factor?

(a) 20

(b) 18

(c) 15

(d) 12

(e) 10


to calc the LCM u have to take ALL primes of the 2 numbers in their highest degrees. to calc the HCF u have to take ONLY the COMMON factors of the 2 numbers in their lowest degrees. 120=2^3*3*5. all of these primes must be in both numbers A and B. the HCF is 120 ! thats not given ! the HCF of the given answers is 20 !


i didn't understand, can you explain again, thanks :)
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 517
Location: MS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2005, 19:44
christoph wrote:
Quote:
Two positive integers A and B have a least common multiple of 120. What is the greatest possible value of their common factor?

(a) 20

(b) 18

(c) 15

(d) 12

(e) 10


to calc the LCM u have to take ALL primes of the 2 numbers in their highest degrees. to calc the HCF u have to take ONLY the COMMON factors of the 2 numbers in their lowest degrees. 120=2^3*3*5. all of these primes must be in both numbers A and B. the HCF is 120 ! thats not given ! the HCF of the given answers is 20 !


What about if the number are 30 and 40 there LCM is 120 ....and there hight common factor is 10 ....but this is not the OA ......can you pls explain your answer little bit more
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 517
Location: MS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2005, 20:01
Quote:
38.On a number line, the points A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H distribute equidistantly from left to right. If A =2^6, D=2^8, H=?


H= 2^9
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 1816
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2005, 20:28
cool_jonny009 wrote:
Quote:
38.On a number line, the points A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H distribute equidistantly from left to right. If A =2^6, D=2^8, H=?


H= 2^9


2^9 is correct.

A is 64 keep adding 64 till you reach H which will be 512 = 2^9
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 187
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 20:15
christoph wrote:
Quote:
4.The possibility that the value of stock A will increase is 0.34 and the possibility that stock B will increase is 0.68.What is the biggest possibility that neither will happen?

Answer: 0.32


0,34+0,68-both+neither=1

neither is biggest when both is biggest !

0,34+0,68-0,34+neither=1

neither=0,32


How did you get both = 0.34?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2011
Posts: 37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 23:44
rianah100 wrote:
christoph wrote:
Quote:
4.The possibility that the value of stock A will increase is 0.34 and the possibility that stock B will increase is 0.68.What is the biggest possibility that neither will happen?

Answer: 0.32


0,34+0,68-both+neither=1

neither is biggest when both is biggest !

0,34+0,68-0,34+neither=1

neither=0,32


How did you get both = 0.34?


Yeap. how did you come out with 0.34?

can you pls elaborate your calculation pls?
0,34+0,68-both+neither=1

neither is biggest when both is biggest !

0,34+0,68-0,34+neither=1
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4566
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4454 [1] , given: 162

Re: Re: [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 20:57
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
miweekend wrote:
Quote:
4.The possibility that the value of stock A will increase is 0.34 and the possibility that stock B will increase is 0.68.What is the biggest possibility that neither will happen?

Answer: 0.32

Yeap. how did you come out with 0.34?

can you pls elaborate your calculation pls?


We don't know whether the stock prices are dependent or independent and how they are related if they are dependent. That is the reason the question asks for 'the biggest (really??) possibility'.

For probability questions, make sure you remember this formula:
P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)
(You can establish this on your own from the similar Sets formula that you know.)
P(A or B) = Probability that only A or only B or both will happen (At least one of A and B will happen)
P(A) = Probability that A will happen
P(B) = Probability that B will happen
P(A and B) = Probability that A and B both will happen

Probability that neither will happen = 1 - Probability that only A or only B or both will happen = 1 - P(A or B)

To maximize 'Probability that neither will happen', we need to minimize P(A or B). We can infer this from the equation above.

So here P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B), we need to minimize the left hand side.
P(A) and P(B) are given as .34 and .68. We cannot change them. P(A and B) is not given. To minimize P(A or B), we need to maximize P(A and B).
What is the maximum value of P(A and B) i.e. the probability that both will happen? Since the probability of P(A) is .34, probability that both happen cannot exceed .34. The maximum value that P(A and B) can take is .34. This is the situation where we can say that whenever the price of stock A increases, the price of stock B increases too. As we said before, we do not know the relation between the two stock prices but this relation gives us the maximum value of P(A and B). So we use this to minimize 'neither increases'.

Minimum value of P(A or B) = .34 + .68 - .34 = .68

Maximum value of 'Probability that neither will happen' = 1 - P(A or B) = 1 - .68 = .32

_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 422
WE 1: Business Development
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: PLz explain these.... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 23:09
Is there a real need to calculate? cant we just say that when both is maximized - probability of (A) is all "contained" into probability of (b) and than non will be 1-(b)?

Isn't that the easiest way?

_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2011
Posts: 241
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 12

Re: Re: [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 00:01
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
miweekend wrote:
Quote:
4.The possibility that the value of stock A will increase is 0.34 and the possibility that stock B will increase is 0.68.What is the biggest possibility that neither will happen?

Answer: 0.32

Yeap. how did you come out with 0.34?

can you pls elaborate your calculation pls?


We don't know whether the stock prices are dependent or independent and how they are related if they are dependent. That is the reason the question asks for 'the biggest (really??) possibility'.

For probability questions, make sure you remember this formula:
P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)
(You can establish this on your own from the similar Sets formula that you know.)
P(A or B) = Probability that only A or only B or both will happen (At least one of A and B will happen)
P(A) = Probability that A will happen
P(B) = Probability that B will happen
P(A and B) = Probability that A and B both will happen

Probability that neither will happen = 1 - Probability that only A or only B or both will happen = 1 - P(A or B)

To maximize 'Probability that neither will happen', we need to minimize P(A or B). We can infer this from the equation above.

So here P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B), we need to minimize the left hand side.
P(A) and P(B) are given as .34 and .68. We cannot change them. P(A and B) is not given. To minimize P(A or B), we need to maximize P(A and B).
What is the maximum value of P(A and B) i.e. the probability that both will happen? Since the probability of P(A) is .34, probability that both happen cannot exceed .34. The maximum value that P(A and B) can take is .34. This is the situation where we can say that whenever the price of stock A increases, the price of stock B increases too. As we said before, we do not know the relation between the two stock prices but this relation gives us the maximum value of P(A and B). So we use this to minimize 'neither increases'.

Minimum value of P(A or B) = .34 + .68 - .34 = .68

Maximum value of 'Probability that neither will happen' = 1 - P(A or B) = 1 - .68 = .32


can you elaborate on that equation? perhaps its name? I'm trying to understand conceptually how that equation was created? it just looks strange because P(AorB) would include the probability of P(AandB) since AorB includes the case AandB. But adding both P(A) and P(B) would intuitively be too large.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4566
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4454 [0], given: 162

Re: Re: [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 03:00
Expert's post
pinchharmonic wrote:

can you elaborate on that equation? perhaps its name? I'm trying to understand conceptually how that equation was created? it just looks strange because P(AorB) would include the probability of P(AandB) since AorB includes the case AandB. But adding both P(A) and P(B) would intuitively be too large.


Have you done Set Theory?
Do you know n(A or B) = n(A) + n(B) - n(A and B)?
Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 7.09 KiB | Viewed 788 times ]


Since 'A or B' means all the elements that are in A or in B or both, when we add number of elements in A to number of elements in B, we count the 'both' elements twice. Hence, we subtract the n(A and B) once so that we don't end up double counting the common area. The probability equation is exactly the same concept.

When we add P(A) to P(B), we have included P(A and B) twice because both P(A) and P(B) include the probability that 'A and B' happen. Hence we subtract it out once. This gives us the probability that A happens or B happens or both happen.

Now think, if the question is: The probability that it will rain on any given day is 30% and the probability that the sun will shine on any given day is 60%. If the probability that it will rain and the sun will shine on the same day is 10%, what is the probability that on any given day, either it will rain or the sun will shine but not both?

_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Re:   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2011, 03:00
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Value per share of the stock enigma123 1 15 Mar 2012, 02:47
18 Experts publish their posts in the topic If the probability that Stock A will increase in value Baten80 17 17 Jan 2012, 11:49
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic The net value of a certain stock increased at a constant AtifS 4 05 Mar 2010, 22:58
Possible value sondenso 4 31 May 2009, 01:40
If the probability is 0.6 that stock A will increase in pmenon 6 17 Nov 2007, 09:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The possibility that the value of stock A will increase is

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.