Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 06:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The postal service is badly mismanaged. Forty years ago,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The postal service is badly mismanaged. Forty years ago, [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 07:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The postal service is badly mismanaged. Forty years ago, first-class letter delivery cost only three cents. Since then, the price has increased nearly tenfold, with an actual decrease in the speed and reliability of service.
Each of the following statements, if true, would tend to weaken the argument above EXCEPT:

(A) The volume of mail handled by the postal service has increased dramatically over the last forty years.
(B) Unprecedented increases in the cost of fuel for trucks and planes have put severe upward pressures on postal delivery costs.
(C) Private delivery services usually charge more than does the postal service for comparable delivery charges.
(D) The average delivery time for a first-class letter four decades ago was actually slightly longer than it is today.
(E) The average level of consumer prices overall has increased more than 300 percent over the last forty years.

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 07:52
C is my answer. It seems to be out of scope so it does't really weaken the argument.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 08:35
Yes C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 09:06
One more C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 10:05
One more C
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Price increases [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 11:22
ak_idc wrote:
The postal service is badly mismanaged. Forty years ago, first-class letter delivery cost only three cents. Since then, the price has increased nearly tenfold, with an actual decrease in the speed and reliability of service.
Each of the following statements, if true, would tend to weaken the argument above EXCEPT:

(A) The volume of mail handled by the postal service has increased dramatically over the last forty years.
(B) Unprecedented increases in the cost of fuel for trucks and planes have put severe upward pressures on postal delivery costs.
(C) Private delivery services usually charge more than does the postal service for comparable delivery charges.
(D) The average delivery time for a first-class letter four decades ago was actually slightly longer than it is today.
(E) The average level of consumer prices overall has increased more than 300 percent over the last forty years.

D for me.

C actually weakens the argument by saying that the Postal Deliv service is NOT so costly after all because the Pvt ones are even costlier.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 21:52
C from me.
Comparision between private delivery services and postal services is outside the scope of the argument.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 22:24
C for me.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 11:17
C for me 2
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 11:51
C or E

I prefer E because even though average inflation is about 3 fold postal office went up 10 fold.

E
Manager
Manager

Re: CR: Price increases [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 20:55
dwivedys wrote:
ak_idc wrote:

D for me.

C actually weakens the argument by saying that the Postal Deliv service is NOT so costly after all because the Pvt ones are even costlier.

Battling b/w C and D. Went with D for the same reasons mentioned above. Eager to see the OA
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 20:56
dwivedys wrote:
ak_idc wrote:

D for me.

Battling b/w C and D. Went with D for the same reasons mentioned above. Eager to see the OA
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 05:09
Even I marked C. But the OA is E.

Possible reasons:

In C we are comparing apples to oranges.

E is perhaps talking abt the main issue. That is price. The consumer prices increased by only 300%. Where as postal service prices increased 10 times. This shows that postal services are mismanaged.

E is not weakening conclusion in the argument. No?

I am not happy with my reasons, however :?

Sorry Guys..No OE. I found this question in CR 1000.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 17:56
it is an except question, so I think C is a better answer.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2006, 15:19
Guys...The OA is wrong in this case. Ans HAS to be C, not E.

In our question:
increase in postal rates(10 fold) < increase in other consumer prices(300 fold).
Thus, postal services are NOT mismanaged => argument IS weakened. OUT

I found a very simillar question here:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=14630&sid=d8dff3b00feb756a2344e137a06f2bf6
Look at the numbers for the price increase very carefully.
Here:
increase in postal rates (7 fold) > increase in other consumer prices (4 fold)
Thus, postal services ARE mismanaged => argument is NOT weakened.
In this case, it's the right answer.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2006, 15:22
kripalkavi wrote:

In our question:
increase in postal rates(10 fold) < increase in other consumer prices(300 fold).

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=14630&sid=d8dff3b00feb756a2344e137a06f2bf6
Here:

Kripal, it is 3 fold

So anwer is E. :wink:

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2006, 15:32
ak_idc wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:

In our question:

Here:

Kripal, it is 3 fold

So anwer is E. :wink:

Shoot! :oops: all my painstaking research down the drain! Really should read more closely. Thanks ak_idc
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 11:53
should be E....

Though postal charges increased 10 fold which is 900% compared to 300% increase in the standard of living the service levels didnt pick up as much to justify the steep increase in postal services over the years
  [#permalink] 04 Nov 2006, 11:53