Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [11]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [4]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a glob [#permalink]
Kudos
The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, who earned his spurs as an aggressive turnaround artist at Michelin and, later, at Renault.

A) The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, who earned his spurs ( Noun modifier( who) should touch the noun it modifies unless separated by an important other noun phrase which cannot be sepatated from noun. plus there is no verb for the subject carlos ghosn. so this is wrong)

B) The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, having his spurs earned ( verb ing modifier after the clause , modifies that clause, sohere having doesnt makes sense while modifing the previous clause)

C) A globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, earned his spurs ( with modifies the globalist, so right, But i dont know the meaning of the comma before the earned. generis has to clarify this doubt of mine. overall with no major errors. this option might be correct choice)

D) As a globalist, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, earned his spurs( with , modify either carlos ghosn or globalist so ambiguity rules out this option. moreover as a globalist he earned his spurs is another unintended meaning given by this sentence. sowrong )

E) Being of Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos, Ghosn, earned his spurs ( being of i dont know about that idiom but the globalist due to multinational identity meaning is not conveyed in this option. so wrong. But generis i think you intended to write being a globalist of lebanese heritage i think u missed the word globalist there. i might be wrong. )

thanks generis for this question. i dont know how far this is easy for you to create this question, but somehow i am feeling a stiff toughness . its beyond my capacity to even think this question on my own.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Re: The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a glob [#permalink]
Kudos
Imo C.

The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, who earned his spurs[/u] as an aggressive turnaround artist at Michelin and, later, at Renault.

A) The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, who earned his spurs - Relative pronoun error

B) The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, having his spurs earned - Meaning error & modifier error

C) A globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, earned his spurs - seems no error, hold it.

D) As a globalist, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, earned his spurs - Modifier error

E) Being of Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos, Ghosn, earned his spurs - Meaning error
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [1]
Given Kudos: 320
Send PM
Kudos
The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, who earned his spurs as an aggressive turnaround artist at Michelin and, later, at Renault.

A) The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, who earned his spurs
Who is misplaced , it should be closer to Carlos Ghosn

B) The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, having his spurs earned
this option suggests, the president carlos is a globalist, having his spurs earned

C) A globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, earned his spurs
a globalist with clause modifies the presider, earned is the main verb , looks alright

D) As a globalist, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, earned his spurs
As a globalist , carlos earned his spurs , thats not the intended meaning .. being a globalist is an additional information for carlos

E) Being of Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos, Ghosn, earned his spurs
being a heritage, being a french education? option does not make sense

C is the answer!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Kudos
Option E is incorrect because of illogical parallelism. Being of Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport. Effectively we are saying being of Brazilian passport, which is not logical. A person cannot be of Brazilian passport. A person can have a Brazilian passport. Likewise, being of French education is also weird. It makes no sense that someone is of French education. We can say a person has French education, or a person with French education. So we can eliminate E.

Option D is grammatically correct but awkward. As a globalist, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, earned his spurs. D can be better if the modifier with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport is combined with the opening modifier As a globalist as it is in option C.

Option C avoids the awkwardness in D by combining all the modifiers as the opening modifier. A globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, earned his spurs... Also note that the parallelism is correct here compared with option E: with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport. The parallelism is alright in options A, B, and D as well.

In option A, the who clause as an adjectival clause has to be as close as possible to the noun it modifies. In this case, it is quite far away. A better way that this can be written in my view is:
The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, who is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, earned his spurs as an aggressive turnaround artist at Michelin and, later, at Renault. I may be wrong, but generis can you please confirm if I am right with this reconstruction of the sentence.

Option B was quite tough for me to eliminate. I hope my analysis is right, nevertheless, it will be an opportunity to learn once again from generis. Having his spurs earned as an aggressive turnaround artist at Michelin and, later, at Renault. The use of having his spurs earned in only justified in this context if there is a relationship between what is conveyed in the clause having his spurs earned as an aggressive turnaround artist at Michelin and, later, at Renault and The President of Japan's Nissan Motors, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport. Note here that the emphasis is not the fact that Carlos Ghosn is the President of Nissan Motors, in which case the having clause would be justified. In my view, a simple past tense would be better in the circumstances.

One thing I have observed about the questions that get featured on the SC butler is that they present to us an opportunity to learn something new. The difficulty of a question is relative. What I might find as difficult, might be easy for someone else who is already conversant with concepts that are tested by the question. Kudos to you generis for your efforts for this community that I am very happy to be a part of. My advice to the new members of SC butler, please do well to go through the SC butler archives; there is a lot to be learned from them.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ccheryn wrote:
C) A globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, earned his spurs ( with modifies the globalist, so right, But i dont know the meaning of the comma before the earned.generis has to clarify this doubt of mine. overall with no major errors. this option might be correct choice)

E) Being of Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos, Ghosn, earned his spurs ( being of i dont know about that idiom but the globalist due to multinational identity meaning is not conveyed in this option. so wrong. But generis i think you intended to write being a globalist of lebanese heritage i think u missed the word globalist there. i might be wrong. )

thanks generis for this question. i dont know how far this is easy for you to create this question, but somehow i am feeling a stiff toughness . its beyond my capacity to even think this question on my own.

ccheryn , oh my goodness -- I didn't write these sentences.
(These SC prep sentences are incredibly hard to write.
I have worked on some non-official ones. I wouldn't write them for a living because my own prose would suffer.)

About option C, you wrote
Quote:
i dont know the meaning of the comma before the earned.

The meaning of Ghosn? It's his last name. Or the fact that there IS a comma?

Sometimes commas are inserted to make reading easier, often to mimic speech patterns.

I need to use a dose of vernacular: ccheryn, you are crazy good at seeing the pieces of the puzzle and fitting them together.Now stand back.

This sentence is a dense sketch of an interesting man.
There's a guy named Carlos Ghosn who has a fascinating background, is the president of a big car company, and proved himself at two other companies.

I had no idea that "earned his spurs" was connected to knighthood in Europe.
I thought that perhaps cowboys who ride rodeo got special spurs if they won enough rodeos. :lol:

Wrong spurs. This phrase alludes to spurs that knights earned for acts of bravery.
I didn't know what "earned his spurs" meant. My country never had an aristocracy. Or knights, for that matter.
I could tell from context that the phrase meant he had proven himself.

Quote:
In option E, i think u missed the word globalist there.

I didn't, but thanks for the heads up. I checked again.
If this option is the only grammatical option, then not having "globalist" is okay..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
generis wrote:
ccheryn wrote:
C) A globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, earned his spurs ( with modifies the globalist, so right, But i dont know the meaning of the comma before the earned.generis has to clarify this doubt of mine. overall with no major errors. this option might be correct choice)

ccheryn , oh my goodness -- I didn't write these sentences.
(These SC prep sentences are incredibly hard to write.
I have worked on some non-official ones. I wouldn't write them for a living because my own prose would suffer.)

About option C, you wrote
Quote:
i dont know the meaning of the comma before the earned.

The meaning of Ghosn? It's his last name. Or the fact that there IS a comma?

Sometimes commas are inserted to make reading easier, often to mimic speech patterns.

I need to use a dose of vernacular: ccheryn, you are crazy good at seeing the pieces of the puzzle and fitting them together.Now stand back.

This sentence is a dense sketch of an interesting man.
There's a guy named Carlos Ghosn who has a fascinating background, is the president of a big car company, and proved himself at two other companies.

I had no idea that "earned his spurs" was connected to knighthood in Europe.
I thought that perhaps cowboys who ride rodeo got special spurs if they won enough rodeos. :lol:

Wrong spurs. This phrase alludes to spurs that knights earned for acts of bravery.
I didn't know what "earned his spurs" meant. My country never had an aristocracy. Or knights, for that matter.
I could tell from context that the phrase meant he had proven himself.

Quote:
In option E, i think u missed the word globalist there.

I didn't, but thanks for the heads up. I checked again.
If this option is the only grammatical option, then not having "globalist" is okay..

thanks for clarifying the doubt. As usual you are marvellous in explaining stuff. thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [1]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 170: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

A) The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, who earned his spurs

B) The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, having his spurs earned

C) A globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, earned his spurs

D) As a globalist, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, earned his spurs

E) Being of Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, earned his spurs

A) The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, who earned his spurs - Touch rule is voilated. Who earned...is far from Chosn

B) The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, having his spurs earned - Modified the Preceding clause - by giving how he is a globalist - Wrong usage. He is globalist because of Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport

C) A globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, earned his spurs - Correct <Modifier - A globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport + the President ... + Modifier - Carlos Ghosn>

D) As a globalist, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, earned his spurs - As a globalist changes the meaning + "as" needs a clause after it not a noun

E) Being of Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, earned his spurs - Being modifier is generally incorrect + Gives a meaning he earned his spurs because of Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport - Incorrect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
Send PM
Marked C as an answer.
The modifier correctly modifies Carlos Ghosn.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [1]
Given Kudos: 371
Send PM
Kudos
IMO the correct answer is C

Lets try to figure out errors present in the original sentence:-

Till the portion---
"The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn,is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport......."

the starting phrase "The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company"...correctly modifying "Carlos Ghosn" - Correct
SVA is maintained - Singular subject with Singular verb "is" - Correct

"with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport" - Correct parallelism is maintained

".........French education, and Brazilian passport, who earned his spurs [/u]as an aggressive...." - Use of Relative pronoun "who" after "," is not correctly modifying the preceding noun, here it seems "Brazilian passport earned .........." which is not correct; Correct modification should be when it modifies "Carlos Ghosn" - Incorrect

Thus the Original sentence is having Modifier error.

A) The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, who earned his spurs - INCORRECT as mentioned above.

VerbING modifer when used after comma modifes the entire preceding clause & signifies a result of action presented in that clause - here "having....." is not correctly describing the intenden meaning of the sentence in participial modification context.

INCORRECT

C) A globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, earned his spurs - VerbED modifier when used in a sentence always modifies the immediate noun or noun phrase preceding it - here ", earned..." correctly modifying "Carlos Ghosn" - CORRECT

D) As a globalist, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, earned his spurs - INCORRECT due to similar modification error.

E) Being of Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, earned his spurs - Use of "Being..." is typically not suited a usage in GMAT - also "Being of" is not idiomatic usage. - INCORRECT
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

A) The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, who earned his spurs - I won't say who is wrong here. Because there is only one human noun which who can refer to. The problem is the placement of it.

B) The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, having his spurs earned - Why would you make CG as a non essential information. The sentence is like The president...is a globalist... Which is fine but then why to make CG between commas? Also having his spurs earned is weird.

C) A globalist with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, earned his spurs Modifiers are nicely combined and modify the President which is fine. And once CG is introduced we have earned his spurs which looks good.

D) As a globalist, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, with Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, earned his spurs - Placement of the modifiers. Looks like the President is globalist but CG is the one with LH,FE and BP. Why can't the author decide what s/he wants to convey :lol:

E) Being of Lebanese heritage, French education, and Brazilian passport, the President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, earned his spurs Usage of being is one problem. Also try reading "Being of French education". And try reading "the President of....,CG, being of ....., earned his...." Just too awkward.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [0]
Send PM
The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, is a glob [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I have posted the official explanation here.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The President of Japan's Nissan Motor Company, Carlos Ghosn, [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts