Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 07:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The president of the block association tried to convince her

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 77055

CAT Tests
The president of the block association tried to convince her [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2004, 13:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:07) wrong based on 1 sessions
The president of the block association tried to convince her neighbors they should join forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood rather than continuing to be victimized.
(A) they should join forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood rather than continuing to be victimized
(B) they should join forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood rather than continue to be victimized
(C) about joining forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood instead of continuing to be victimized
(D) for the joining of forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood rather than continue to be victimized
(E) to join forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood rather than continuing to be victimized

Revered by an ill-informed citizenry, the Duke of York was feted opulently for several months before there was denunciation and exile.
(A) there was denunciation and exile
(B) he was to be denounced with exile
(C) being denounced and exiled
(D) denunciation and his exile
(E) being exiled, having been denounced
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2004, 17:10
X tried to convince Y .............to prevent crime......rather than continue to be victimized.

Between B and D , B is better.

What about E for the the second sentence ?

Is anything wrong with "before being exiled,having been denounced" ?
It might seem wordy !

- ash.

What is the OA ?

ash

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
SC [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2004, 20:07
" Tried to convince her neighbors.. they "

Shouldnt we have "that" after neighbours or it could be
'Tried to convince her neighbours to join"..
Tried to convince her neigbours they should... seem odd.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2004, 20:12
Regarding the second.. the answer is C.This question shows that being is not a total stranger in GMAT land. It can be invited on some occasions.:)
Any thoughts on this by the experts.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2004, 20:48
I would go with E and C

1- convince X to do Y is the right idiom
A and B are eliminated because they are wordy. Pronoun "they" can be eliminated and replaced by the above mentioned idiom
C and D "convince X about joining" and "convince X for the joining" are unidiomatic

2- "being denounced and exiled" is a passive gerund with present participle form of "to be" and is most concise.
Ex: He was much despised before being loved and appreciated.

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2004, 23:13
crackgmat750 wrote:
Answers given are B and C.

Is this the OA?

I picked E and C

I am not sure about 1.
I still think the underlined portion in 1 has to be a dependent clause.

SC Gurus am I missing something?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2004, 23:58
Yep, B and C should be the answers.

E would be right if it read "to join forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood rather than continue to be victimized."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2004, 00:36
Though I agree with ob that "continue" is better than "continuing" for the given context, but still I feel (E) looks better, as it uses "to" properly to connect two clauses, or I may say is more idiomatic.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2004, 01:02
mba wrote:
Though I agree with ob that "continue" is better than "continuing" for the given context, but still I feel (E) looks better, as it uses "to" properly to connect two clauses, or I may say is more idiomatic.

"Continue" is not just better, it's grammatically correct whereas "continuing" is not.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2004, 18:48
E. association tried to convince .. to join .. to prevent.

C. passive voice should be used when the doer is unknown. Here we don't know who denounced the Duke.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2004, 19:19
ob wrote:
mba wrote:

"Continue" is not just better, it's grammatically correct whereas "continuing" is not.

I'm not sure about this ob.
Ex: Continuing to be victimized is not an option.
The above is perfectly fine with me and is just a gerund phrase with "Continuing to be victimized" as subject.

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2004, 20:03
Hi, Pardon me to have joined late :-)

The president of the block association tried to convince her neighbors they should join forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood rather than continuing to be victimized.

(A) they should join forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood rather than continuing to be victimized - Not parallel ( Convince, Prevent, Continue - All these 3 shuld be parallel) - Hence wrong.

(B) they should join forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood rather than continue to be victimized - (Convince, Prevent and Continue are Parallel), hence is the correct one.

(C) about joining forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood instead of continuing to be victimized - Not parallel- Wrong

(D) for the joining of forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood rather than continue to be victimized - For the joining ... yooooooo, wrong construction.

(E) to join forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood rather than continuing to be victimized - Again, not parallel. - Wrong.

- - - - - -

Revered by an ill-informed citizenry, the Duke of York was feted opulently for several months before there was denunciation and exile.

(A) there was denunciation and exile - Passive voice - Wrong.

(B) he was to be denounced with exile - Again, pasive voice and was to be denouced .. naaa, nto a real flow.- Wrong.

(C) being denounced and exiled - Perfect, goes well with Opulently (an act that was going on for month), clearly refers to the Duke. - Correct one.

(D) denunciation and his exile - explaination gven by other users.

(E) being exiled, having been denounced - Wordy and awkward - Wrong

Regards[/b]

Giving another SHOT

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2004, 20:42
Yes Carsen, parallelism is the problem with 1-E. B should be it on that basis.

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2004, 21:18
Paul wrote:
ob wrote:
mba wrote:

I'm not sure about this ob.
Ex: Continuing to be victimized is not an option.
The above is perfectly fine with me and is just a gerund phrase with "Continuing to be victimized" as subject.

Paul, you're ignoring the context here. Choice E is grammatically incorrect because the second part calls for a bare infinitive:

to join forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood rather than continuing (should be continue) to be victimized.

Your sentence is perfectly OK. However, it is not an adequate example to illustrate the problem with (E).
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2004, 22:08
1.E
A&B miss x-factor before "they"
c &d- "convince about" and "convince for" does not sound good to my ears.
I donot think E has parellelism problem. "I would rather take gmat again than getting rejected right away"

2.C is clear choice

GS
No excuses - Need 750!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2004, 22:25
Hi

I guess there is a TYPO in the choice B for the 1st question. There should be a 'that" in the begining of the choice B. Anyways, it is the only one that clears the parallelism error, which is in all other choices.

Regards

Giving another SHOT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2004, 01:18
(A) they should join forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood rather than continuing to be victimized
(B) they should join forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood rather than continue to be victimized
(C) about joining forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood instead of continuing to be victimized
(D) for the joining of forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood rather than continue to be victimized
(E) to join forces to prevent crime in the neighborhood rather than continuing to be victimized

I have chosen C because "that" is missing in A and B. In D, "convince for" is not convincing. The choice E does not have proper parallelism with "to".

I have chosen E here because one gets feted after denunciation. A, B and D are ruled out as they do not look grammatically correct. C is a clear contender but looks illogical.

Do let me know if I am wrong.

Awaiting response,

Thnx & Rgds,
Chandra

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2004, 01:39
I think the answers are already given as B and C. Both of my answers are wrong 8-) Bingo!! I am on my way to GMAT800 :lol: ..

mallelac wrote:

I have chosen C because "that" is missing in A and B. In D, "convince for" is not convincing. The choice E does not have proper parallelism with "to".

I have chosen E here because one gets feted after denunciation. A, B and D are ruled out as they do not look grammatically correct. C is a clear contender but looks illogical.

Do let me know if I am wrong.

Awaiting response,

Thnx & Rgds,
Chandra

[#permalink] 22 Jun 2004, 01:39