Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1146 [127]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Maritime Financial Services
Schools:Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
 Q49  V36 GMAT 2: 720  Q48  V41
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [27]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618875 [1]
Given Kudos: 81594
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: The president’s nominees to federal circuit courts have been judged [#permalink]
Kudos
Premises -

The president’s nominees to federal circuit courts have been judged conservative for their stands on hot-button issues. - Observation based on Fact (For).

the nominees with industry ties were overwhelmingly appointed to circuit courts regarded as traditional battlegrounds over litigation affecting these industries. - Fact/reasoning (for - the observation).

Conclusion -

observers who follow the federal bench believe that the extensive corporate involvement among so many of the nominees is unprecedented.

fact/Observation (for) / Reasoning(for)

a.generalization pattern (False)/ Attack (against) -> No match
b.Pattern (False)/ Conclusion - No match.
c.Phenomenon (observation)/Evidence for conclusion -> Match.
d.Position (observation)/Pattern (False) -> No Match
e.Exception (Opposite of observation)/Reasoning(Dosen't support Exception) - No Match.

C prevails.
Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: The president’s nominees to federal circuit courts have been judged [#permalink]
Kudos
here's the manhattan's explanation: but I'm not quite why they believe author agrees with the first bold. Her next sentence starts with "But" and seems to suggest that due to their close ties with corporate and economic interests, she doesn't think that having been judged conservative was accurate.

Quote:
"The conclusion of the argument is that the nominees "are more notable for their close ties to corporate and economic interests" than for their positions on controversial issues. The first boldfaced statement is a recognition of the fact that the president's nominees have been branded conservative. The second boldfaced statement offers information in support of the assertion that the nominees are more notable for their corporate ties. So we need to find a choice that describes both statements accurately.

(A) The author does not seek to attack the assertion made in the first statement.

(B) The author does acknowledge the first statement as true. However, the second statement is not the conclusion.

(C) CORRECT. The author does accept the first statement as true, and the second statement is indeed given in support of the conclusion.

(D) The first statement is not the author's "position" (i.e., conclusion).

(E) The first statement is not an exception to a rule, making the description of the second statement false as well."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
The BF1 states "The president’s nominees to federal circuit courts have been judged conservative for their stands on hot-button issues"
It is followed by author's statement : But a review of their financial disclosure forms and Senate questionnaires reveals that the nominees are more notable for their close ties to corporate and economic interests

I concluded with option A because this is the closest choice where author opposes the stated passage. In BF2, he continues to indicate that these judges are appointed in the courts which are very critical.
Also in the BF2 : Further, the nominees with industry ties were overwhelmingly appointed to circuit courts regarded as traditional battlegrounds over litigation affecting these industries
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [2]
Given Kudos: 40
Schools: Smeal" 20
Send PM
Kudos
hurdle7 wrote:
here's the manhattan's explanation: but I'm not quite why they believe author agrees with the first bold. Her next sentence starts with "But" and seems to suggest that due to their close ties with corporate and economic interests, she doesn't think that having been judged conservative was accurate.

Quote:
"The conclusion of the argument is that the nominees "are more notable for their close ties to corporate and economic interests" than for their positions on controversial issues. The first boldfaced statement is a recognition of the fact that the president's nominees have been branded conservative. The second boldfaced statement offers information in support of the assertion that the nominees are more notable for their corporate ties. So we need to find a choice that describes both statements accurately.

(A) The author does not seek to attack the assertion made in the first statement.

(B) The author does acknowledge the first statement as true. However, the second statement is not the conclusion.

(C) CORRECT. The author does accept the first statement as true, and the second statement is indeed given in support of the conclusion.

(D) The first statement is not the author's "position" (i.e., conclusion).

(E) The first statement is not an exception to a rule, making the description of the second statement false as well."

Yes, I too have the same question in mind....who do manhattan and others who have replied in the forum say that the first bold statement was accepted by the author as true when the argument is trying is oppose the position that the nominees are conservative.

Going by the explanations given, so does 'being conservative on hot-button issues' mean that these nominees are lobbyists for industries and do not raise their voice for the issues that will affect these industries and conservatively support these industries rather than fighting for the issues created by these industries ?? In that case, what is the use of the word 'but' as hurdle7 rightly points out ??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:Design (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
need some clarity on this. first sentence says nominees are conservative and second sentence starts with a "but". Sounds like a contrast.
for example " it was told that Jim was the topper in his class.But his grades were rather low". So we have all the reason to believe that Jim is not actually the topper.

Originally posted by pkm9995 on 28 Feb 2016, 08:16.
Last edited by pkm9995 on 29 Feb 2016, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pkm9995109794, check out ChrisLele's explanation above. The first statement isn't actually cited as support for the argument. The author is basically saying "Hey, it's true that these nominees are conservative. But I want to point out something else: they are more notable for their corporate ties. Here's some evidence of that." So the conclusion (bolded above) is followed by premises. The first statement is something that the author thinks is true, but that they don't find as interesting.

Here's another example:

True, Candidate X is inexperienced. But what's more important is that his policies are dangerous. If enacted, they would lead to unprecedented levels of poverty and environmental degradation.

The author agrees with the first sentence, but doesn't think it's as important the impact of Candidate X's policy. The second and third sentences produce the actual conclusion and premise.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
Send PM
The president’s nominees to federal circuit courts have been judged [#permalink]
To attack this type of questions is always better to look first for the conclusion, if any, and then try to identify, after reading the whole argument, the BF parts.

Conclusion: Independent observers who follow the federal bench believe that the extensive corporate involvement among so many of the nominees is unprecedented.

The phrase mentioned before, is the conclusion of the argument. The author acknowledge the first sentence as true, but thinks that there is something more going on.

Now, in order to back its conclusion, the author should mention some premises or evidence of the claim he tries to make.

Premises: The nominees with industry ties were overwhelmingly appointed to circuit courts regarded as traditional battlegrounds over litigation affecting these industries.
Independent observers who follow the federal bench believe that the extensive corporate involvement among so many of the nominees is unprecedented.

In both premises above, the author is trying to support his view that there is something more going on by showing that nominees are somehow backing the industries and litigation over those are battlegrounds because of the biases that the nominees have over those specific industries. Moreover, the author states that independent observers believe that the corporate involvement is unprecedented as a way to supports its claim.

BF1. Background.
BF2. Support of author conclusion = Premise.

Now let's check answer choices and try to match them with BF1 and BF2. Work from wrong to right:

A. The first is a generalization that the author aims to attack; the second is that attack.
I do understand that the first part of the answer may seem right, but the reality is that the author does not aim to attack. It just providing some context and then claiming that there is something more going on. The second part, is not an attack but a support of the author's claim.

B. The first is a pattern that the author acknowledges as true; the second is the author’s conclusion based on that acknowledgment.
The first seems like our classification of BF1. Part 2 of the answer is wrong, the BF2 is a PREMISE not a CONCLUSION.

(C) The first is a phenomenon that the author accepts as true; the second is evidence in support of the author’s conclusion.
Both part of the answer are align with our classification of the bold faces.

(D) The first is the author’s position based on the evidence cited; the second is a pattern presented in support of that position.
The first is not the author position, is an acknowledge of the situation, but you can say that this statement is close enough, so let's see the second part. The second part is wrong. It is not a support of that position, but a support of the conclusion.

(E) The first is an exception to a rule introduced in the argument; the second provides the reasoning behind the exception
First part: Wrong. It is not an exception rule, is actually what is going on. Second Part: Wrong. As mentioned before is a premise of the author's conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Hello!
How can the first be a phenomenon. I discarded the choice only beacuse of the word phenomenon.
Please clarify.

Thank you in advance :)

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
41396302717 wrote:
Hello!
How can the first be a phenomenon. I discarded the choice only beacuse of the word phenomenon.
Please clarify.

Hey 41396302717, would love to know why you thought it couldn't be a phenomenon. Is it due to the fact when we use the word phenomenon, you expect to hear something scientific? Probably global warming? It can happen as that is generally the context in which phenomenon is used, but the english language is super flexible and the word can be used for other things as well!

Definition of phenomenon as per google - a fact or situation that is observed to exist or happen, especially one whose cause or explanation is in question. OR a remarkable person, thing, or event.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Brian123 wrote:
41396302717 wrote:
Hello!
Please clarify.

Thank you
This perfectly sums up the error in my reasoning. :blushing:

Hey 41396302717, would love to know why you thought it couldn't be a phenomenon. Is it due to the fact when we use the word phenomenon, you expect to hear something scientific? Probably global warming? It can happen as that is generally the context in which phenomenon is used, but the english language is super flexible and the word can be used for other things as well!

Definition of phenomenon as per google - a fact or situation that is observed to exist or happen, especially one whose cause or explanation is in question. OR a remarkable person, thing, or event.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: The presidents nominees to federal circuit courts have been judged [#permalink]
Hey Experts,

I've gone through all the posts but still, I'm finding it difficult to understand the argument's conclusion.

Per Manhattan Answer, the author's main conclusion is But a review of their financial disclosure forms and Senate questionnaires reveals that the nominees are more notable for their close ties to corporate and economic interests, especially the energy and mining industries.

IMO this is evidence. Even though it's not factual but somewhat stems from a review of their financial disclosure forms and Senate questionnaires. Only if the author would have directly stated these judges are close to corporates, it would have been his opinion. Right now it looks like a logical finding of a review?

Please clarify this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V39
GRE 1: Q166 V152
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: The presidents nominees to federal circuit courts have been judged [#permalink]
I couldn't find any conclusion mentioned in the question. There is no conclusion mentioned by the author. All statements are facts or premises.
Can someone please shed some light on this?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hey folks.

I'm having a hard time understanding why the conclusion is 'are more notable...'. Additionally, I'm unable to get my head around the exact structure of the paragraph. Can you help me understand how do we come to the correct conclusion in this paragraph? There aren't any helping words (Therefore, Thus, Hence..etc), neither the test 'Did A happen because of B, or did B happen because of A' helping here.

My understanding of the paragraph is below.

1. The first boldface is an observation - individuals nominated by the President for positions in the federal circuit courts are generally considered to be conservative
2. Then, the author mentions about a surprising observation - a closer examination of the nominees' financial disclosure forms and responses to Senate questionnaires shows that their significant connections are with corporate and economic interests
3. The author further adds that some of them were paid lobbyists for the interest of mining & other industries.
4. Further, the author adds another observation - among the individuals nominated by the current President, those with ties to industries, particularly in energy and mining, were predominantly chosen for circuit courts
5. The author ends with assertion, that according to some independent observers, 2 , 3 & 4 are never seen before (unprecedented).

So if I break down the argument, (1) is a generally true fact which the author does not dispute, (2), (3) & (4) highlight why whats happening currently is extremely surprising & (5) is an ending remark emphasizing the surprise element.

For me (1) is a fact/observation that the author does not dispute, and (4) adds information which explains the current scenario in contrast. I dont see a conclusion made anywhere.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts