Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618901 [8]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 781 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 415
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The Prime Minister was so moved by the performance of the talented res [#permalink]
Can someone explain the difference between:

1) from the orphanage
2) of the orphanage

in the context of this question?
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1611 [0]
Given Kudos: 1679
Send PM
Re: The Prime Minister was so moved by the performance of the talented res [#permalink]
The Prime Minister was so moved by the performance of the talented residents from the orphanage that he decided to offer them jobs as soon as they completed their education.

(A) from the orphanage that he decided to offer them jobs Incorrect

residents from .... incorrect; they are not coming from orphanage rather than they are residents of the orphanage

(B) of the orphanage as to offer them jobs Correct

(C) from the orphanage as to offer them jobs Incorrect

same as A

(D) of the orphanage that he decided to offer them a job Incorrect

they plural, so job should be jobs

(E) of the orphanage as to offer them a job Incorrect

same as D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Kudos
twoface07 wrote:
Can someone explain the difference between:

1) from the orphanage
2) of the orphanage

in the context of this question?

Dear twoface07

Greetings!
I hope you're doing well.
The idiom or the correct construction is resident+of.
He is a resident of Germany.
The residents of the apartment complex shared their concerns with the manager.

Thank you.

Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
The Prime Minister was so moved by the performance of the talented residents from the orphanage that he decided to offer them jobs as soon as they completed their education.

(A) from the orphanage that he decided to offer them jobs

(B) of the orphanage as to offer them jobs

(C) from the orphanage as to offer them jobs

(D) of the orphanage that he decided to offer them a job

(E) of the orphanage as to offer them a job

--> Can anyone please explain that is the usage of "AS" of is correct is correct in option "B".
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
AjiteshArun

Bunuel wrote:

(B) of the orphanage as to offer them jobs

Why is the usage "as to offer them" correct here?

Please, answer!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nikhilongc wrote:
AjiteshArun

Why is the usage "as to offer them" correct here?

Please, answer!

Hi nikhilongc,

My reply is not specific to this question, but so [ADJECTIVE] as to [PLAIN FORM] can be used to mean "so that" or ~"with the result that" (~the outcome of something).

1. so moved as to offer ← This is so + moved (adjective) + as to offer (plain form).

Here's an official question that does the same thing:
... the features of which are so unrealistic as to constitute... an "artificial face."

This can be read as "the features are so unrealistic that they constitute an 'artificial face'".
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32899 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

"so moved……as to offer" is the best possible construction for a sentence like this.

Also, "residents of the orphanage" is correct, not "residents from."

Lastly, it has to be "jobs" and not "a job" – the residents would obviously be put to different jobs and not the same one.

Hence (B) is the correct answer.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
The Prime Minister was so moved by the performance of the talented res [#permalink]
Kudos