Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [1]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Re: The professor assumed that Michelle probably have stayed up late last [#permalink]
[quote="gregfromnancy"]from the gmatclub ultimate grammar book
test 2

41. The professor assumed that Michelle probably have stayed up late last night since she fell asleep in class.
a) Michelle probably have stayed up
b) for a fact Michelle was staying up too
c) Michelle must have stayed up
d) Michelle probably must had stayed up
e) it was possible of Michelle staying up

A
have done is not used for past action. there are many uses of have done. look at the grammar books for this point. A is wrong
B, "fact that +clause" . this is grammatical basic error
D , there is no "must had done" in english
E, there is no this pattern in English.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1084 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: The professor assumed that Michelle probably have stayed up late last [#permalink]
Kudos
The professor assumed that Michelle probably have stayed up late last night since she fell asleep in class.

This question is from Gmat Club Grammar Book. Practice Test 2 (41). The OA is C. My confusion is should not it be the had stayed up instead of have stayed up?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1084 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
The professor assumed that Michelle probably have stayed up late last night since she fell asleep in class.

This question is from Gmat Club Grammar Book. Practice Test 2 (41). The OA is C. My confusion is should not it be the had stayed up instead of have stayed up?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
The Past Perfect expresses the idea that something occurred before another action in the past. It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past.

For detail visit the following Link - https://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pastperfect.html

Whereas -

Present Perfect to say that an action happened at an unspecified time before now. The exact time is not important. You CANNOT use the Present Perfect with specific time expressions.

For detail visit the following Link - https://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/presentperfect.html

Thus, Have stayed up is good here...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1084 [0]
Send PM
Sorry, I am still not very much clear on this. Both professor assumed and she fell asleep in class are in past. Michelle must have stayed up last night describes an action which occurred before the past actions professor assumed and she fell asleep in class. So, should not it be past perfect instead of present perfect?

Regards.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6122 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
saswata4s wrote:

This question focuses on the probability of something happened.

"must had done sth" is wrong gramatically. Hence D is out.

Between A and C, the probability in C is higher. Also, the professor has a strong evidence that "Michelle fell asleep in class", so the correct choice is C. In A, professor made a guess but not sure about it.

Originally posted by broall on 17 Jan 2017, 03:37.
Last edited by broall on 17 Jan 2017, 06:02, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
C is the most appropriate answer here. However Michelle " probably had stayed up" would have been more appropriate as the sentence talks of 2 events and one is before the other . The use of past perfect tense makes more sense than present perfect tense. I.e Michelle fell asleep (later event) after she had stayed up (earlier event) .
Only answer option D uses past perfect tense. However D is wrong as "probably must had"is redundant. Probably indicates a probability of an event happening while "must" indicates that that event is certain. Usage of both probably and must for the same event is redundant. Also must cannot precede had as it is idiomatically incorrect.
So the next best answer here is C. Another pointer here is since the time frame is not mentioned, present perfect seems a safe option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Usage of Present Perfect Tense or Past Perfect tense. Two events are specified in the question where one is before the other and hence Past Perfect tense seems appropriate. However there is no answer option with the past perfect tense (without errors) . Also the time frame is not mentioned in the question which makes the use of present perfect tense also appropriate. Kindly advise !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 540 Q38 V26
Send PM
saswata4s wrote:

I agree with you that past perfect would be more appropriate here. However, the only option is D, which is redundant (probably must had...) Between A and C, I choose C, as it is more precise.

Remember: We are searching for the most appropriate answer (although it might sometimes seem awkward as well)!
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
LarryM wrote:
Usage of Present Perfect Tense or Past Perfect tense. Two events are specified in the question where one is before the other and hence Past Perfect tense seems appropriate. However there is no answer option with the past perfect tense (without errors) . Also the time frame is not mentioned in the question which makes the use of present perfect tense also appropriate. Kindly advise !!

Both your posts are very clear and logical. I agree with your points.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
- must had stayed up-' had' is an incorrect verb after the modal "must'. "must have stayed up" is ok. Or you may drop -must- from choice D and it will be ok

D. The professor assumed that Michelle probably had stayed up late last night since she fell asleep in class.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1084 [0]
Send PM
LarryM wrote:
C is the most appropriate answer here. However Michelle " probably had stayed up" would have been more appropriate as the sentence talks of 2 events and one is before the other . The use of past perfect tense makes more sense than present perfect tense. I.e Michelle fell asleep (later event) after she had stayed up (earlier event) .
Only answer option D uses past perfect tense. However D is wrong as "probably must had"is redundant. Probably indicates a probability of an event happening while "must" indicates that that event is certain. Usage of both probably and must for the same event is redundant. Also must cannot precede had as it is idiomatically incorrect.
So the next best answer here is C. Another pointer here is since the time frame is not mentioned, present perfect seems a safe option.

Thanks for the clarification.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
saswata4s wrote:
LarryM wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.

You are welcome !! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
LarryM wrote:

Both your posts are very clear and logical. I agree with your points.

Hi sayantanc2k,

I rejected the choice C as it changes the meaning of the original sentence. Original choice shows the possibility while choice C shows the certainty. To me, no choice seemed to be correct. so, I end up selecting A; however, I knew that there should be past perfect instead of present perfect in choice A.

Please advise how to select one choice between two when both seems to be incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I rejected the choice C as it changes the meaning of the original sentence. Original choice shows the possibility while choice C shows the certainty. To me, no choice seemed to be correct. so, I end up selecting A; however, I knew that there should be past perfect instead of present perfect in choice A.

Please advise how to select one choice between two when both seems to be incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
AR15J wrote:

A is wrong in this case. The sentence "Michelle probably have stayed up" is idiomatically wrong. Meaning wise the subject of the sentence after the word "that" would be Michelle (singular) while the verb (have) is plural. There would be a subject verb disagreement in option A.

Option C is correct as we can use "have" after the modal verb "must". Try thinking of an example to clear this concept ." He must have slept off"is correct while "He probably have slept off" is wrong.
If "probably" is to be used in the sentence we can use "He probably has slept off."

Hope this clears your doubt .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 237
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
Send PM
saswata4s wrote:

the only difference btw option a and c is probably (which is a possibility ) and must (certainty) . when in assumption do we use probably or must after" that " ? IMO A as it is an assumption.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts