Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The program to control the entry of illegal drugs into the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 2044 [2] , given: 677

The program to control the entry of illegal drugs into the [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 17:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:24) correct 37% (01:18) wrong based on 154 sessions
The program to control the entry of illegal drugs into the country was a failure in 1987. If the program had been successful, the wholesale price of most illegal drugs would not have dropped substantially in 1987.

The argument in the passage depends on which of the following assumptions?

1) The supply of illegal drugs dropped substantially in 1987.

2)The price paid for most illegal drugs by the average consumer did not drop substantially in 1987.

3)Domestic production of illegal drugs increased at a higher rate than did the entry of such drugs into the country.

4)The wholesale price of a few illegal drugs increased substantially in 1987.

5)A drop in demand for most illegal drugs in 1987 was not the sole cause of the drop in their wholesale price.

Guys try this one. OA later . Thanks for discussion in advance :)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Last edited by carcass on 15 Aug 2012, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: The program to control the entry of illegal drugs into the [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 20:11
It's (3). The Wholesale price of the illegal drugs have dropped sunstantially even without the entry of illegal drugs. So, there has to be some event which might have triggered the supply and an eventual drop in the price. This is clearly stated in (3) that it is due to domestic production of illegal drugs at a higher rate that the entry of such drugs. If the program had been successful, domestic production would not have happened and hence the price would not have dropped due to limited supply of illegal drugs.
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: The program to control the entry of illegal drugs into the [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 21:54
I think the answer should be E. It is a strengthening assumption. We just eliminated another cause for the drop in prices.

If the demand had been dropped, the prices would also have been dropped but the premise says that the reason is illegal entry of the illegal drugs. So, we eliminated another cause.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 36

Re: The program to control the entry of illegal drugs into the [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 21:56
The answer should be E.

If the drop in the demand is not the sole reason for drop in the prices, there must be some other reason for drop in the prices of the drugs.

If you think you are lost, you are.

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 11

Re: The program to control the entry of illegal drugs into the [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 03:26
carcass wrote:
The program to control the entry of illegal drugs into the country was a failure in 1987. If the program had been successful, the wholesale price of most illegal drugs would not have dropped substantially in 1987.

2)The price paid for most illegal drugs by the average consumer did not drop substantially in 1987.

3)Domestic production of illegal drugs increased at a higher rate than did the entry of such drugs into the country.

5)A drop in demand for most illegal drugs in 1987 was not the sole cause of the drop in their wholesale price.

Let me just try -

1) The program to control the entry of illegal drugs into the country was a failure in 1987 - The program was a failure

2) If the program had been successful, the wholesale price of most illegal drugs would not have dropped substantially in 1987.

Thus, it means that the program was not successful ( there was illegal entry of drugs into the country) and hence, the prices dropped.

If I negate E - A drop in demand for most illegal drugs in 1987 was THE sole cause of the drop in their wholesale price.

okay - so if the price decrease was due to the drop in demand; the illegal entry of drugs was not the reason of their wholesale price decrease.

Am I right ?

You want something, go get it . Period !

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1026

Kudos [?]: 4442 [1] , given: 162

Re: The program to control the entry of illegal drugs into the [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 03:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ankit0411 wrote:
carcass wrote:

Let me just try -

1) The program to control the entry of illegal drugs into the country was a failure in 1987 - The program was a failure

2) If the program had been successful, the wholesale price of most illegal drugs would not have dropped substantially in 1987.

Thus, it means that the program was not successful ( there was illegal entry of drugs into the country) and hence, the prices dropped.

If I negate E - A drop in demand for most illegal drugs in 1987 was THE sole cause of the drop in their wholesale price.

okay - so if the price decrease was due to the drop in demand; the illegal entry of drugs was not the reason of their wholesale price decrease.

Am I right ?

Yes, you are right. If you use the assumption negation technique (ANT), you see that if the negative of option (E) is true, the conclusion cannot be true. Hence option (E) must be an assumption.
But let me add here that you should use ANT only when you get stuck or if you have doubts about the answer you have chosen. It is a little too complicated and time consuming to be used often.

The argument looks like this:
Premise: the wholesale price of most illegal drugs dropped substantially in 1987
Conclusion: the program was a failure i.e. the supply of illegal drugs did not drop.

Now, the argument looks shady, doesn't it? The price drop could happen because of increased supply or reduced demand. The author is concluding that the price drop is due to increase in supply (and says nothing about demand).

What is his assumption? His assumption is that the demand did not reduce or if it did, it did not reduce to the extent required to bring the price substantially down. So he is assuming that a reduction in demand was not the cause or at least was not the sole cause of reduction in the price.

Answer (E)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

VP
VP
Followers: 200

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The program to control the entry of illegal drugs into the [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 05:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The program to control the entry of illegal drugs into the [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 08:00
As per my learning, in assumption qq, we need to see a factor which can help us to conclude the same result concluded in passage. So, if passage says, price went down because of some 'X' reason, we need to choose an option which states that price could also have gone down because of some 'Y' reason.

-- No other reason mentioned.

-- Again, no other reason of drop in price.

-- It may sound tempting but even if it happens, it does not specify the rate of demand which may decrease/increase and consequently may decrease/increase the price respectively.

-- Again, out of scope.

-- This I found reasonable to assume that price can also go down because of drop in demand.
Re: The program to control the entry of illegal drugs into the   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2014, 08:00