Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 11:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 19:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:54) correct 41% (01:34) wrong based on 17 sessions
The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who register the Internet domain names of high-profile companies in hopes of reselling the rights to those names for a profit, led to passing the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in 1999, allowing companies to seek up to $100,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling them later.

A)
B) the passage of the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in 1999, which allows companies to seek up to $100,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent that they will sell
C) the passage in 1999 of the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, which allows companies to seek up to $100,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling
D) the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, which was passed in 1999, and it allows the companies to seek up to $100,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent to sell
E) the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, passed in 1999 and allowing companies to seek up to $100,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent that they will sell

explain please if you get it
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 196 [1] , given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep Question [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 20:30
This post received
KUDOS
Clearly the SC is checking for active/passive, pronoun ambiguity and modifier placement.
A -passive
B - "which" wrong
C - answer
D - "it" wrong
E - passed and allowing is wrong
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 114 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep Question [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 20:41
This post received
KUDOS
A. led to passing is wrong, if it was led to passing of, or led to X passing, it could have been correct.
B. Which is closer to 1999, which seems to say 1999 allows consumer ..also, 'the sole intent that they will sell' is unidiomatic and awckward
D. & E. led to the Act and then adding it was passed in 1999- unidiomatic and ineffeicient. proliferation led to passage of Act is crisper and idiomatically correct.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Prep Question [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 08:49
I understand that the end of answer choice B is awkward but isn't the beginning of answer choice C also awkward..."the passage in 1999 of.."? sounds off to me. Is it always acceptable to do this?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Prep Question [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2011, 01:17
i think the problem in B is not " which"
the problem in B is the using of " they" and " them"

B) the passage of the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in 1999, which allows companies to seek up to $100,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent that they will sell
C) the passage in 1999 of the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, which allows companies to seek up to $100,000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling

they in B is " companies" or " names??? so its not clear
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 47

Kudos [?]: 167 [2] , given: 1

Re: GMAT Prep Question [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2011, 15:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Vivesomnium, while "the passage of" might seem a little awkward at first, try ignoring the lengthy modifier between the first two commas to see the underlying structure:

THE PROLIFERATION...led to...[something else]

Potential parallelism issue! We want the thing that follows to be a noun, and there is an extant noun form of "passing" that is not being used--"passage." So if you recognized that on your initial read you can cross off A.

B and C use "passage," and D and E use the name of the act itself-- both these options are acceptable.

As a few people have pointed out above, B violates the ", which" rule-- 1999 is not the thing that allowed companies to seek damages. Eliminate. (diebeatsthegmat is also correct in identifying "they" as ambiguous--double whammy!)

(D) uses the pronoun "it," which is one of those red-flag pronouns--make sure "it" has a clear and correct antecedent. There are a couple of singular nouns before "it" in the sentence, so we have a slightly ambiguous situation. Sometimes pronoun ambiguity is tolerated, but the structure here implies the actual antecedent here is the wrong one.

SUBJECT-VERB...and...SUBJECT-VERB
THE PROLIFERATION led to...and IT (the PROLIFERATION) allows
--That's not the intended meaning! Eliminate.

So now we're down to C and E.

The structure of C is good--
The proliferation...led to...the passage...of the...Act, which allows companies to seek....damages.

The structure of E is not--
The proliferation...led to..the Act, PASSED and ALLOWING...
(not parallel)
Additionally, "they" is potentially ambiguous. Another double-whammy-- E is out.

That leaves us with C!

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: GMAT Prep Question [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2011, 08:56
parker wrote:
Vivesomnium, while "the passage of" might seem a little awkward at first, try ignoring the lengthy modifier between the first two commas to see the underlying structure:

THE PROLIFERATION...led to...[something else]

Potential parallelism issue! We want the thing that follows to be a noun, and there is an extant noun form of "passing" that is not being used--"passage." So if you recognized that on your initial read you can cross off A.

!

i'm in the two mind between A and C. I'm not a native speaker so i did not find "led to passing" was unidiomatic. Would you mind give me more reason to eliminate A. Thank you

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 47

Kudos [?]: 167 [1] , given: 1

Re: GMAT Prep Question [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 13:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Mickey,

Good question--if you don't recognize that "passing" has an existing noun counterpart, a helpful clue here might be that all the other answer choices use the definite article "the"-- the original does not.

The structure is "the proliferation...led to...the passage"

Additionally, the use of the -ing form of "allowing" makes the phrase that follows technically modify the verb "led" rather than the act itself...you miiiight be able to make an argument for that (since that action --the leading to the act-- did ultimately, well, lead to the act, which then allowed the companies to seek damages), but that's a stretch. A more direct expression of the meaning is that the ACT was what really allowed companies to seek damages.

Does that help?

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: GMAT Prep Question [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 05:37
parker wrote:
Hi Mickey,

Good question--if you don't recognize that "passing" has an existing noun counterpart, a helpful clue here might be that all the other answer choices use the definite article "the"-- the original does not.

The structure is "the proliferation...led to...the passage"

Additionally, the use of the -ing form of "allowing" makes the phrase that follows technically modify the verb "led" rather than the act itself...you miiiight be able to make an argument for that (since that action --the leading to the act-- did ultimately, well, lead to the act, which then allowed the companies to seek damages), but that's a stretch. A more direct expression of the meaning is that the ACT was what really allowed companies to seek damages.

Does that help?

thanks Parker. I cannot expect more. +1

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Re: GMAT Prep Question   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2011, 05:37