Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 07:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The promise of finding long-term technological solutions to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

The promise of finding long-term technological solutions to [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2011, 17:28
The promise of finding long-term technological solutions to the problem of world food shortages seems difficult to fulfill. Many innovations that were once heavily supported and publicized, such as fish-protein concentrate and protein from algae grown on petroleum substrates, have since fallen by the wayside. The proposals themselves were technically feasible, but they proved to be economically unviable and to yield food products culturally unacceptable to their consumers. Recent innovations such as opaque-2 maize, Antarctic krill, and the wheat-rye hybrid triticale seem more promising, but it is too early to predict their ultimate fate.

In this paragraph, is the first sentence a generalization or a position?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 28

Re: distinction between "generalization" and "position" [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2011, 23:52
fanatico wrote:
The promise of finding long-term technological solutions to the problem of world food shortages seems difficult to fulfill. Many innovations that were once heavily supported and publicized, such as fish-protein concentrate and protein from algae grown on petroleum substrates, have since fallen by the wayside. The proposals themselves were technically feasible, but they proved to be economically unviable and to yield food products culturally unacceptable to their consumers. Recent innovations such as opaque-2 maize, Antarctic krill, and the wheat-rye hybrid triticale seem more promising, but it is too early to predict their ultimate fate.

The first sentence is the topic sentence of this paragraph. It states that the promise seems difficult to fulfill. The rest of the paragraph explains the reasons.

The first sentence, in my opinion, is a position. The author expressed his opinion that the promise is difficult to promise and then gave the explanation for his/her thinking.

At first, I thought it was a generalization, but I changed my mind after reading the definition of generalization on wikipedia:

Quote:
A generalization (or generalisation) of a concept is an extension of the concept to less-specific criteria. It is a foundational element of logic and human reasoning.[citation needed] Generalizations posit the existence of a domain or set of elements, as well as one or more common characteristics shared by those elements. As such, it is the essential basis of all valid deductive inferences. The process of verification is necessary to determine whether a generalization holds true for any given situation.
The concept of generalization has broad application in many related disciplines, sometimes having a specialized context-specific meaning.
Of any two related concepts, such as A and B, A is considered a "generalization" of concept B if and only if:
every instance of concept B is also an instance of concept A; and
there are instances of concept A which are not instances of concept B.
For instance, animal is a generalization of bird because every bird is an animal, and there are animals which are not birds (dogs, for instance).

Let me know your inputs.

There can be Miracles when you believe

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: distinction between "generalization" and "position" [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 07:27
Even I thought that the first sentence was a position. My reasoning was that it uses the word "seems" - "seems" to the author. Therefore it should be a position.

While I was doing a question on this paragraph the OA stated that the sentence is a generalization.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: distinction between "generalization" and "position" [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 19:56
I think both "keywords" can be used interchangeably without any contradiction.

If this is bold face then the other choices must be half wrong. Because the split cannot be made just between - generalization / position

Pls post the other answer choice :)

fanatico wrote:
Even I thought that the first sentence was a position. My reasoning was that it uses the word "seems" - "seems" to the author. Therefore it should be a position.

While I was doing a question on this paragraph the OA stated that the sentence is a generalization.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Deloitte 3 yrs
WE 2: Prok going on

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: distinction between "generalization" and "position" [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 23:10

In my opinion this is a position because a generalization is more of a conclusion or result or some kind of finding after analyzing some cases. Here in the very first statement author used the word "seems" and in my opinion he may not be 100% sure about it or something for which he can give some guarantee.

Rather he sets up his position and then give arguments about his position.

Akhil Mittal

I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

If my post was helpful to you then encourage me by your kudos :)

Re: distinction between "generalization" and "position"   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2011, 23:10