Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The proper way to plan a scientific project is first to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

The proper way to plan a scientific project is first to [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2005, 17:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The proper way to plan a scientific project is first to decide its goal and then to plan the best way to accomplish that goal. The United States space station project does not conform to this ideal. When the Cold War ended, the project lost its original purpose, so another purpose was quickly grafted onto the project, that of conducting limited-gravity experiments, even though such experiments can be done in an alternative way. It is, therefore, abundantly clear that the space station should not be built.

The reasoning in the argument is flawed because the argument

(A) attacks the proponents of a claim rather than arguing against the claim itself

(B) presupposes what it sets out to prove

(C) faults planners for not foreseeing a certain event, when in fact that event was not foreseeable

(D) contains statements that lead to a self-contradiction

(E) concludes that a shortcoming is fatal, having produced evidence only of the existence of that shortcoming

Plz explain your answer

Regards, S

Last edited by saurya_s on 28 Feb 2005, 02:16, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Space station [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2005, 21:25
here is the clue.
saurya_s wrote:
The proper way to plan...................... even though such experiments can be done in an alternative way. It is, therefore, abundantly clear that the space station should not be built.

I am bet D and E. it says that there is an alt but concludes shutting doun of thr project without proposing an alt course of action.

Could be D.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2005, 23:19
(E). It does not explain why the space stn should not be built just because the rules of proper project planning has been violated. The premises given in the stimulus does not tells us what are the shortcomings, and unless we know what they are, we can't decide for sure if the project is worth carrying on.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 09:23
Got to be E.
The fact the there is a shortcoming does not imply that shortcoming will result in failure.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Space station [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 09:53
Another challenging one for me.

Principle: A project needs first to have a goal, then to plan the best way to achieve the goal.

Fact: The space station had a goal that doesn't exist anymore, and a different goal was utilized (after the start of the project).

Conclusion: It's not a proper project.

(A) attacks the proponents of a claim rather than arguing against the claim itself
It didn't attack the proponents of the project.

(B) presupposes what it sets out to prove
No.

(C) faults planners for not foreseeing a certain event, when in fact that event was not foreseeable
That sounds plausible. Although sometimes the most appearant answer is often not the right one.

(D) contains statements that lead to a self-contradiction
I could not find such a statement.

(E) concludes that a shortcoming is fatal, having produced evidence only of the existence of that shortcoming
It did produce evidence of the existence of that shortcoming. Problem is whether the principle of "proper project needs to do A" means "If A is not followed, then it is not a proper project". In other words, did the first sentence establish that the shortcoming is indeed fatal?

I don't konw which one to choose. I would perhaps choose (C) in the end, with reluctance. (E) comes close too, but again I'm not entirely convinced one way or the other.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 10:08
I wonder if the new purpose of the project wasn't enough a goal for the project to continue?

So I'd go with (D).
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 10:37
I think C.

If new information does come in, researchers must be able to consider that info and make changes accordingly. This is reasonable. The argument seems to dock the researchers for being practical and making adjustments to their goals based on new data. C kinda conveys this flaw.

I think the author can arrive at the conclusion if the flawed argument is accepted. E does not necessarily expose a flaw, I think.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 12:23
I don't think "C" can be the OA.....author is not trying to find faults in planners for not foreseeing a event, in fact it finds fault in shoving a new project into an existing project plan.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 13:08
I was just wondering if this CR had been discussed in the past and came up with this brilliant treatise:-) by Akamai, I dont think I can do any justice by trying to explain my thought process after I saw the thread:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... foreseeing
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 14:38
Yea C vs E
and on the test i would go for C
but i do see why you guys feel it is E
what is OA?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2005, 03:37
Ok, the OA what I have got is E. However, I am not conviced as i think it to be C. Concluding as fatal seems to much of stetching.
However, those who think E as answer , can they please their explanation.
S

Regards, S

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2005, 08:27
Thanks! :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2005, 12:20
I would go for C, as I didnt undestand E clearly.....

all other seemed out of scope to me.

discipline is what I need.

[#permalink] 01 Mar 2005, 12:20