Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 06:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The proportion of Afro-American students enrolled in Gilmore

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

The proportion of Afro-American students enrolled in Gilmore [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 15:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The proportion of Afro-American students enrolled in Gilmore Community College has ‎increased over the past decades. This is partly shown by the fact that in 1965, only 6 ‎percent of Afro-American between twenty and twenty-three in the town of Gilmore ‎were enrolled in college, while in 1997, 13 percent of the Afro-Americans between ‎twenty and twenty-three were enrolled in Gilmore Community College. ‎

To evaluate the argument above, it would be most useful to compare 1965 and 1997 ‎with regard to which of the following characteristics?‎

‎ (A) The percentage of Afro-American students between twenty and twenty-three who ‎were not enrolled in Gilmore Community College

‎(B) The percentage of Afro-American students between twenty and twenty-thirty who ‎graduated from Gilmore Community College

‎(C) The percentage of Afro-American students who, after attending Gilmore ‎Community College, entered highly paid professions

‎(D) The non-Afro-American students between twenty and twenty-three who were ‎enrolled in Gilmore Community College

‎(E) The percentage of -Afro-American students who graduated from high school ‎
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Afro-Ame Students [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 15:35
i think A makes most sense to me..it says there could be a possibility that Afro-american are getting more into college so mmaybe there is nothing speical abot gilmore college..
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Afro-Ame Students [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 16:10
My pick is D.

Quote:
The proportion of Afro-American students enrolled in Gilmore Community College has ‎increased over the past decades. This is partly shown by the fact that in 1965, only 6 ‎percent of Afro-American between twenty and twenty-three in the town of Gilmore ‎were enrolled in college, while in 1997, 13 percent of the Afro-Americans between ‎twenty and twenty-three were enrolled in Gilmore Community College. ‎

To evaluate the argument above, it would be most useful to compare 1965 and 1997 ‎with regard to which of the following characteristics?‎

Could it be that the cited statistics is true but the proportion of Afro-American students enrolled in Gilmore Community College has NOT increased? Yes. Imagine the situation when % increase for non-Afro-American students who were enrolled in college was even greater – say, from 10% to 40%. In such a case, the proportion of Afro-American students might have even declined…

Quote:
(A) The percentage of Afro-American students between twenty and twenty-three who ‎were not enrolled in Gilmore Community College (does not eliminate this possibility)

‎(B) The percentage of Afro-American students between twenty and twenty-thirty who ‎graduated from Gilmore Community College (irrelevant)

‎(C) The percentage of Afro-American students who, after attending Gilmore ‎Community College, entered highly paid professions (irrelevant)

‎(D) The non-Afro-American students between twenty and twenty-three who were ‎enrolled in Gilmore Community College (This is it – just what we need!)

‎(E) The percentage of -Afro-American students who graduated from high school ‎(irrelecant)
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Afro-Ame Students [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 16:15
i agree with D
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Afro-Ame Students [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 16:27
Another D

Already well explained by "greenoak"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Afro-Ame Students [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 16:42
quangviet512 wrote:

‎ (A) The percentage of Afro-American students between twenty and twenty-three who ‎were not enrolled in Gilmore Community College

‎(B) The percentage of Afro-American students between twenty and twenty-thirty who ‎graduated from Gilmore Community College

‎(C) The percentage of Afro-American students who, after attending Gilmore ‎Community College, entered highly paid professions

‎(D) The non-Afro-American students between twenty and twenty-three who were ‎enrolled in Gilmore Community College Correct. Helps determine the proportion of Afro-American students that were enrolled

‎(E) The percentage of -Afro-American students who graduated from high school ‎

I'll go with (D)

My GMAT debrief

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Afro-Ame Students [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 22:24
Easy quest but caused some confusion as in case of Fresinha and myself.
OA is D.
many thanks for great explaination.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Afro-Ame Students [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 22:39
i somehow concur with u and freshina - kind of prefer A! can someone tell my why A is so deadly wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Afro-Ame Students [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 03:20
Only D addresses the proportion problem in this question. We need to compare two population, Afro-American and Non-Afro_American to get a proportion.

In A, we do not care about the people who do not attent the schhol.
Re: CR-Afro-Ame Students   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2008, 03:20