Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The proportion of women among students enrolled in higher

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
The proportion of women among students enrolled in higher [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 20:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (02:06) correct 40% (01:05) wrong based on 20 sessions
The proportion of women among students enrolled in higher education programs has increased over the past decades. This is partly shown by the fact that in 1959, only 11 percent of the women between twenty and twenty-one were enrolled in college, while in 1981, 30 percent of the women between twenty and twenty-one were enrolled in college.
To evaluate the argument above, it would be most useful to compare 1959 and 1981 with regard to which of the following characteristics?
(A) The percentage of women between twenty and twenty-one who were not enrolled in college
(B) The percentage of women between twenty and twenty-five who graduated from college
(C) The percentage of women who, after attending college, entered highly paid professions
(D) The percentage of men between twenty and twenty-one who were enrolled in college
(E) The percentage of men who graduated from high school

I could not understand the reasoning behind the answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 20

Re: Critical reasoning from OG10 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 21:13
techyrajeev wrote:
The proportion of women among students enrolled in higher education programs has increased over the past decades. This is partly shown by the fact that in 1959, only 11 percent of the women between twenty and twenty-one were enrolled in college, while in 1981, 30 percent of the women between twenty and twenty-one were enrolled in college.
To evaluate the argument above, it would be most useful to compare 1959 and 1981 with regard to which of the following characteristics?
(A) The percentage of women between twenty and twenty-one who were not enrolled in college
(B) The percentage of women between twenty and twenty-five who graduated from college
(C) The percentage of women who, after attending college, entered highly paid professions
(D) The percentage of men between twenty and twenty-one who were enrolled in college

this is interesting.. does this mean that in 1959, of 100 students, there were 11 women in college
whereas in 1980, of 100 students, there were 30 women in college..
to make sure that this is correct, we need % of men between 20 and 21.. which according, to above example should be 89% in 1959 and 70% in 1980...
So D.
------------------------

but my confusion is- This is partly shown by the fact that in 1959, only 11 percent of the women between twenty and twenty-one were enrolled in college, while in 1981, 30 percent of the women between twenty and twenty-one were enrolled in college.
does this mean that of women population in the city or locality, 11% were enrolled, OR
does this mean in the college, of all enrolled students, 11% were women.
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 925 [1] , given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Critical reasoning from OG10 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 21:59
This post received
KUDOS
techyrajeev wrote:

1959:
Total number of students enrolled=100
Women (20-21): 11
Men: 0
Obviously then, Women NOT(20-21): 89

Thus, proportion of women enrolled in 1959=100%

1981:
Women (20-21): 30
Men: 70
Obviously then, Women NOT(20-21): 0
Thus, proportion of women enrolled in 1981=30%

Thus, the proportion of woman in total students decreased from 1959 to 1981.

1959:
Men: 89

Thus, proportion of women enrolled in 1959=11%

1981:
Obviously then, Women NOT(20-21): 70
Thus, proportion of women enrolled in 1981=100%

Thus, the proportion of woman in total students increased from 1959 to 1981.

Conclusion:
If we know what percent of men were enrolled in 1959 and 1981, we can exactly find the proportion of women among the students enrolled.

Ans: "D"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Critical reasoning from OG10 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 22:23
In simple words, in order to support that the percentage of women increased, one needs to know the class composition which has a direct impact on the increase or decrease of the women %age in class.

The stem talks about "The proportion of women among students....". We can infer that class is composed of both men and women & not only of women of various age groups.

What if we had another answer choice as follows:

(F) The percentage of women between twenty and twenty-five who were enrolled in college

This definitely would have added some confusion (to choose between D & F) and in that case the information that class is composed of both men and women (inferred from stem) would have been helpful.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Critical reasoning from OG10 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 11:02
In this question, we are attacking the premise of the argument, is that ok?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 33

Re: Critical reasoning from OG10 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 11:48
fluke wrote:
techyrajeev wrote:

1959:

1981:

1959:

1981:

Conclusion:
If we know what percent of men were enrolled in 1959 and 1981, we can exactly find the proportion of women among the students enrolled.

Although I agree that D is the best choice here. But I don't agree with the explanation that of total 100 students enrolled in the class, 11 women enrolled and 0 men enrolled. Who are these rest of the 89 people enrolled in the class? kids? animals?

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 925 [1] , given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Critical reasoning from OG10 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 14:44
This post received
KUDOS
sgupta0827 wrote:
fluke wrote:
techyrajeev wrote:

1959:

1981:

1959:

1981:

Conclusion:

Although I agree that D is the best choice here. But I don't agree with the explanation that of total 100 students enrolled in the class, 11 women enrolled and 0 men enrolled. Who are these rest of the 89 people enrolled in the class? kids? animals?

It's neither animals nor aliens. It's the number of women who are not between 20 and 21. You got to learn how to interpret a solution before criticizing it. See the text in red above.

~fluke

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 33

Re: Critical reasoning from OG10 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 17:20
fluke wrote:
It's neither animals nor aliens. It's the number of women who are not between 20 and 21. You got to learn how to interpret a solution before criticizing it. See the text in red above.

I know man. I suck :cry: at it and need to learn. Since you insisted, I went over the explanation again, and I agree your illustration has no problem at all--I missed the NOT part. Must have been the long day the other day. I hope you are not considering me for your foe list :-D

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 925 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Critical reasoning from OG10 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 17:34
sgupta0827 wrote:
fluke wrote:

I know man. I suck :cry: at it and need to learn. Since you insisted, I went over the explanation again, and I agree your illustration has no problem at all--I missed the NOT part. Must have been the long day the other day. I hope you are not considering me for your foe list :-D

ha ha!!! :lol:

No big deal, good friend!!! :cool

God knows how many times have I overlooked something and blamed the other party. :D

Thanks for giving it due consideration!!!

~fluke

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: Critical reasoning from OG10 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 17:59
Looks like a DS question to me......Too lazy to solve....so went with A first thinking that
(Even though, my hunch was D initially - come on - Will the question assume that class has only Men and Women ? So Men % will be sufficient )
Yes-D is correct ,logically as well :D

Labor cost for typing this post >= Labor cost for pushing the Kudos Button
kudos-what-are-they-and-why-we-have-them-94812.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Critical reasoning from OG10 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 21:11
techyrajeev wrote:
Does it matter even- nonetheless a lucrative answer :!:
We are not bothered about this group, if at all we would be interested in other than 20-21 enrolled group
An out of scope answer
Sounds ok, lets keep it for now
We are looking out for enrollment not graduated %ages- are not we :?:

Initially I was looking for something like other than 20-21 year woman %ages (or total women enrolled %ages) but then could not find so by elimination we have D (fills the position for the rest of the group)

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Re: Critical reasoning from OG10   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2011, 21:11