Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The proposed health care bill would increase government

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The proposed health care bill would increase government [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2005, 12:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
The proposed health care bill would increase government regulation of health insurance, establish standards that would guarantee wider access to people with past health problems and to workers changing jobs who otherwise could be uncovered for months.

A)
B) establishing standards that would guarantee wider access to people with health problems and to workers who are changing jobs
C)to establish standards that would guarantee wider access to people with past health problems and to workers who change jobs that
D) for establishing standards that would guarantee wider access for people with past health problems and workers changing jobs who
E) for the establishment of standards that would guarantee wider access for people with past health problems and workers who are changing jobs that
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
SC#5 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2005, 12:30
Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew how to use a good story to generate good will.

(A) Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew
(B) Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew
© Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew
(D) In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him;
(E) Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2005, 15:52
1) A
The idiom is 'access to' so 'D' & 'E' are out.
C - 'who change jobs that otherwise could be uncovered for months' - means that the jobs will be uncovered for months.
B - 'access to X and Y' are not parallel.

2) Will go for 'E'
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2005, 17:31
The proposed health care bill does three things:
1) increase government regulation of health insurance

2) establish standards

(B) - 'establishing' is not parallel
(C) - Using 'that' to introduce the modifying phrase after workers' suggests that it's the job that has access to medical care
(D) - 'establishing' is not parallel
(E) - 'establishment' is not parallel

(A) - the best choice.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2005, 17:39
Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew
how to use a good story to generate good will.

(A) Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew
- illogical. secret is not kept in young manhood.

(B) Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew
- Same as A

(C) Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew
- Best choice here. The commas seperate the modifying phrase for lincoln, and allows 'knew' to link the last phrase into the sentence seamlessly. Does not have a illogical phrase in the modifier.

(D) In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him;
- Illogical sentence. Suggests the secret was kept in young manhood.

(E) Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew
- Illogical sentence as well. Same problem as D.

C it is
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2005, 18:54
ywilfred wrote:
Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew

- Same as A

(C) Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew
- Best choice here. The commas seperate the modifying phrase for lincoln, and allows 'knew' to link the last phrase into the sentence seamlessly. Does not have a illogical phrase in the modifier.

C it is

I do not follow this sentence.
But in 'C' we are using a present participle - discovering & a past perfect tense - is this acceptable.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2005, 19:56
rthothad wrote:
ywilfred wrote:

- Same as A

C it is

I do not follow this sentence.
But in 'C' we are using a present participle - discovering & a past perfect tense - is this acceptable.

It's acceptable as first and foremost, the sentence is logical. You don't discvoer a secret in manhood as the other choice suggests.

As for the present participle, it's used in Lincoln's time and suggest that he discovered the secret during his younger days. The present perfect is for the Peddlar who knew what the secret was. The peddlars knows what it was, and he still knows what the secret is at the time Lincoln found out about it as well.

Draw a time line and you'll be convinced.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2005, 22:11
on the first: C (to people with health probs and to workers)
on the second: C - agree with ywilfred
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2005, 07:44
ywilfred wrote:

2) establish standards

(C) - Using 'that' to introduce the modifying phrase after workers' suggests that it's the job that has access to medical care

(A) - the best choice.

ywilfred,

you said the health care bill does 3 things, you listed 2, where is the 3 thing please? Thanks
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2005, 08:12
ywilfred wrote:

2) establish standards

(A) - the best choice.

Isn't "A" creating a run-on sentence. Looks like both the clauses separated by comma-splice can stand on their own, thoughts ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2005, 08:23
Folaa3 wrote:
ywilfred wrote:

2) establish standards

(A) - the best choice.

ywilfred,

you said the health care bill does 3 things, you listed 2, where is the 3 thing please? Thanks

Sorry, I meant 2 things.. was typing this reply in the office this morning so I had to be real quick in case the boss comes around :wink:
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2005, 12:10
HongHu wrote:
D and C for me.

Honghu, cud u confirm if choice "A" in Q # 1 has run-on sentence i.e. botht the senetences can stand on its own. Thx !
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2005, 12:19
ywilfred wrote:
Folaa3 wrote:
ywilfred wrote:

2) establish standards

(A) - the best choice.

ywilfred,

Sorry, I meant 2 things.. was typing this reply in the office this morning so I had to be real quick in case the boss comes around :wink:

hmmm, if you meant to say 2 instead of 3, then shouldn’t there be a conjunction between the 2 things that the health care bill does?

2) establish standards

I think the health care bill does one thing which is to increase government regulation of health insurance thus the reason why it might not be A.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2005, 12:40
banerjeea_98 wrote:
HongHu wrote:
D and C for me.

Honghu, cud u confirm if choice "A" in Q # 1 has run-on sentence i.e. botht the senetences can stand on its own. Thx !

"The proposed health care bill would increase government regulation, establish standards. "

It's not exactly a run-on sentence since the second part is not a complete sentence. But it is missing a "and" to connect the two words.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC#4 [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2005, 13:21
banerjeea_98 wrote:
The proposed health care bill would increase government regulation of health insurance, establish standards that would guarantee wider access to people with past health problems and to workers changing jobs who otherwise could be uncovered for months.

A)
B) establishing standards that would guarantee wider access to people with health problems and to workers who are changing jobs
C)to establish standards that would guarantee wider access to people with past health problems and to workers who change jobs that
D) for establishing standards that would guarantee wider access for people with past health problems and workers changing jobs who
E) for the establishment of standards that would guarantee wider access for people with past health problems and workers who are changing jobs that

I go for D on the first one because i think the main act is "increased govt. regulations" and the rest is showing the result of that
therefore all 3 things are not of equal value, the last two are results of the precursor-inc. govt. reg.

For the second one i was confused whether we are talking about Lincon learning something in his man hood or the peddler's manhood, Since Lincon is the main subject i thought it should be D because "In young manhood" is describing when Lincon discovered the "secret" hence it should not be separated from lincon.
i felt it doesnt make sense to say that the young manhood being reffered to in the choices relates to the yankee because
1) even in choice C as Hong chose and some others did, the clause states "Lincon, discovering..." shows that the Yankee is the one who's early manhood is being reffered to but in that case shouldnt it be "Lincon, upon discovering the secret that the yankee...(the rest of C)

now my basic question is the word "upon" one of those assumed type words, that can be in the sentence but do not necessarily require to be there?

Thanks and sorry if i seem incoherent...i am
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2005, 14:06
banerjeea_98 wrote:
HongHu wrote:
D and C for me.

in Q1:

B, "establishing" means a result of the bill
D, "for establishing" means the purpose of the bill.

I feel B is better than D.

for Q2, I would say C even all sounds weird to me.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2005, 18:43
1. (B): Correct use of Participle phrase (establishing..) modifying "Proposed health Care Bill".

2. (C): same reason as (1).
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2005, 06:29
B it is, took 15 sec

This is one of the patterns tested over and over again in GMAT by ETS.
Only choice B uses correct participle phrase to explain how bill would increase government regulation of health insurance.

Praveen

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2005, 08:19
I liked B for the first question too, but it is missing a "who" or "that" in the end.

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC#5 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2005, 08:25
(A) and (B) is wrong for "has". In (D) the second portion of the sentence seemed dangled. In (E) it sounds like Lincoln was discovered.

(C) does seem to say that the Yankee peddler had learned a secret in his young manhood, rather than that Lincoln had discovered the secret in his young manhood, but it is the lesser of the devils, I think.

banerjeea_98 wrote:
Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew how to use a good story to generate good will.

© Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew

Re: SC#5   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2005, 08:25